Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Free Agent Signing Prediction Thread

In what has been a painfully slow off-season things appear to be picking up in terms of rumors connecting the Brewers to various Free Agents. While we wait for the Free Agent fun to begin lets place our bets on who the Brewers will sign at some point between now and Opening Day. This one is straightforward, looking for predictions of a player you think the Brewers will sign and your predicted terms of the agreement for that player. This isn’t who you WANT the Brewers to sign (we have a thread for that), but rather who you think they WILL ultimately sign this off-season. If you don’t believe they will sign any additional Free Agents you can certainly note that as well. This doesn’t just have to be big splash Free Agents either, but hoping we can keep it to guys that would likely sign major league free agent deals.

I will kick it off with my Brewers Free Agent prediction...

Free Agent: Alex Cobb, RHP

Years: 4

Total Cost: $58 million

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Ok I will add one also:

Free Agent: Jake Arrieta, RHP

Years: 3+2 option years player opt out after the 3rd year and a team option for year 5

Total Cost: $100 million if for all 5-years. Years 1-3 total of $66m player option for year 4 at $18m year 5 team option at $16m.

Free Agent: Jake Arrieta, RHP

Years: 3

Total Cost: $100 million ($33, $33, $33)

Free Agent: Neil Walker

Years: 2

Total Cost: $22 million

Free Agent: Jonathan Lucroy

Years: 2

Total Cost: $16 million

If the Brewers make the move to add Arrieta, I have to believe they see themselves as challengers in the NL. A rotation of Arrieta-Anderson-Davies-Chacin-Woodruff/Nelson, assuming they pitch to their 2017 selves, can compete with most anyone.

If the Brewers see themselves as competitors, then I definitely see them solidifying 2B with Walker...and Lucroy if they can stretch the payroll and add the additional $52 million in 2018 and 2019. I know some of you say Lucroy doesn't make sense given Pina, Vogt, Susac, Bandy but I think on the right deal, it makes all the sense in the world to bring Lucroy back to share time with Pina. Additionally, the Walker and Lucroy deals are short enough that it frees up money for arbitration eligible players like Shaw, Santana and Arcia in 2020.

A two year push of big money and then the gradual filling in of cheap prospects in 2020 and 2021 e.g. Hiura/Diaz for Walker at 2B, Brinson/Harrison for Braun in LF.

You guys talked me into adding a second signing to my prediction, it make sense a lot of sense. I just think he is going to end up with a 3rd year and a higher total cost...

Years: 3

Cost: $31.5 million

Free agent: Lance Lynn

Years: 3 with a mutual option for a 4th year

Cost: 52 mil, option year is 18 mil

Free Agent: Oh

Years: 1

Cost: 6 mil with 2 mil available in incentives

Years:3

Cost: 35 Mil

• 2 weeks later...
My Darvish guess whether with the Brewers or elsewhere would be something like 5 years for $135 million. Have also heard some speculation that Darvish may consider a contract that includes a player opt out after a couple of years.

My picks:

Darvish: 4 years, $80 million, team option for a fifth year at $25 million.

Lucroy: 4 years, $40 million

what in the hell?

I think Lucroy/Pina beats Pina/Vogt/Bandy/Susac by a wide margin. Plus, I think he helps the pitchers. He'd also be familiar with Darvish, having caught him in Texas in 2016 and part of 2017.

My picks:

Darvish: 4 years, $80 million, team option for a fifth year at $25 million.

Lucroy: 4 years, $40 million

what in the hell?

I think Lucroy/Pina beats Pina/Vogt/Bandy/Susac by a wide margin. Plus, I think he helps the pitchers. He'd also be familiar with Darvish, having caught him in Texas in 2016 and part of 2017.

Lucroy's defense has fallen off significantly he is no longer a top defensive catcher. Lucroy is just a little bit better defensively than Vogt and is about a wash offensively between the two. So no it is not by a wide margin if anything they are about equal and I will take Pina and Vogt over Lucroy and Pina every single time.

I put this in the “buzz” thread, but figured it’s best here. So in a flurry of activity starting with some trades, the first FA signing would be darvish, and the rest turns out like this (more of a prayer than a prediction).

FA:

Sign Darvish to a 5 year deal (110M?)

Sign Oh to a 1 year/ 4M

Sign Walker to a 2 year / 22M

Trade

NYY: Trade Broxton and filler for Ellsbury, 30M, and good prospects (Abreu & Dillion Tate)

CLE: Trade Santana for Meija, Yu-Cheng Chang

CHW: Trade Thames, Ortiz, Stokes, Supak for Jose Abreu

??: Villar & Aguilar for low level prospects (think Lind trade)

New lineup

C: Pina

1B: Abreu

2B: Walker

SS: Arcia

3B: Shaw

LF: Braun

CF: Brinson

RF: Phillips

Bench: Ellsbury, Vogt, Perez, Sogard

SP: Darvish, Anderson, Chacin, Davies, Woodruff (+ Nelson)

RP: Knebel, Hader, Oh, Logan, Barnes, Jeffress, Guerra, Suter (+ Williams, Houser in AAA)

Andrew Cashner, one year, 7 million. He will reinvent himself and wind up as an effective set up man.

This is the most realistic FA signing in this thread.

Though I can't say I'd be shocked for a Lynn or Cobb move if we can't make any other splash trades.

Andrew Cashner, one year, 7 million. He will reinvent himself and wind up as an effective set up man.

This is the most realistic FA signing in this thread.

Though I can't say I'd be shocked for a Lynn or Cobb move if we can't make any other splash trades.

I think Cashner could be a sneaky good signing for some team. I could see a non-contender taking a chance on him as well as an upside play.

From the Start I've been chiming Lynn more than anyone else. 4-70million. You get a workhorse who I think is miffed about his time in St. Louis. Name him you OD starter, give him a "you're the guy" feeling and watch him put together nice season, after nice season. He's the only FA SP who gives you 33 start confidence for the next 3 years.

From the Start I've been chiming Lynn more than anyone else. 4-70million. You get a workhorse who I think is miffed about his time in St. Louis. Name him you OD starter, give him a "you're the guy" feeling and watch him put together nice season, after nice season. He's the only FA SP who gives you 33 start confidence for the next 3 years.

Agreed, I would love to add Lynn.

Anderson

Lynn

Davies

Chacin

Woodruff

Agreed, I would love to add Lynn.

Anderson

Lynn

Davies

Chacin

Woodruff

I just don't think that is a World Series type of rotation, or possibly not even a "make it to the wildcard type of rotation."

Without a true TOR type guy, our chances are slim with that exact rotation in place.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived