Brewer Fanatic

Packers Share Quesstion

Bikeage77

I'm teaching a finance class this semester and we've been discussing stocks. The Packers "stock" came up, and it had me thinking. We all know the value won't increase and you cannot cash it out or transfer it's name. But, how much do you think a collector would pay for an original share sold in the 1920s?

There has to be collectors out there that would love to have that on display, even if it were under someone elses name.

There are a few certificates listed on the Heritage Auctions archive.

Surprisingly, the priciest piece there is a 1950 issue, which sold for $3,107 in 2014. It's beautiful and has nice football graphics and content.

Going back, there are a couple from 1919, issued by the Indian Packing Company. Those pre-date the GB Packers, though apparently, the team grew out of that entity. Those certificates each sold for less than $700.

And they also have a couple 1924 Acme Packers certificates that sold for less than $600.

Everything I described sold since 2011. The Indian and Acme pieces aren't especially eye catching, though they are interesting documents.

I think you'd have to buy and sell it as a piece of art. I don't know if it has any tradeable value on any exchange, or any transferable ownership rights. It's just a piece of interesting paper.

Thanks for the kind words, Bike. You've been a source of good info for me, too.

I'm not a Packers or football fan, so there may be other places that specialize in football stuff, but I often go to Heritage for prices on high end material.

Archived