Brewer Fanatic

Brewers release Taylor Jungmann

The writing was on the wall when Jungmann put together the best season by a starter in Colorado Springs history and didn't get called up in September.

Which made no sense at the time, or now for that matter...

Best we part ways, but why he didn't get a call was hard to understand.

They wanted to look at Wilkerson instead, who has options. That's what you need for your 6th-8th starter types.

The writing was on the wall when Jungmann put together the best season by a starter in Colorado Springs history and didn't get called up in September.

Which made no sense at the time, or now for that matter...

Best we part ways, but why he didn't get a call was hard to understand.

They wanted to look at Wilkerson instead, who has options. That's what you need for your 6th-8th starter types.

Yeah but Carlos Torres had 9 appearances in the pen after 9/1. Those could have went to Jungmann. If he looks good in those 7-8 innings, the Brewers are at least trading him for some lottery tickets from another team, even if they don't want him for our team.

Edit: I don't know how much potentially the downside cost is. If he gets injured, are the Brewers only on the hook for the 40 man roster min. wage or the 25 man roster min. wage until he is recovered? Maybe the smart thing to do is not risk bringing a guy up that you have no plans whatsoever for.

Weren't there some rumors floating around that Jungmann kind of "did his own thing" and reverted back to his old form/mechanics, against what he was being told to do by the organization? I think that would very well make the org not reward him for that by calling him up.

That's going a bit to far

Lindor/Rendon/Springer all have to be looked at as very positive picks for their teams. Sonny Gray and Baez good. Jose Fernandez would be considered fabulous had he not died in the boating accident. Cole isn't a superstar for a first overall pick, but he's been far from a bust.

Dylan Bundy may still amount to something. Archie Bradley was pretty dominant last year when moved to a relief role. Jackie Bradley had two nice years before struggling last season. Joe Panik a solid starting second baseman.

Certainly not a stellar first round class, but not as terrible as you make it out to be.

I disagree with this because almost everyone you mentioned was picked before the Brewers first pick (and Fernandez would have been if he hadn't told teams it was a Florida team or The U). The point was that as of the Brewers first pick and thereafter, there was not much talent out there. Gray was picked later, but the reason he lasted as long as he did was because of his height. Other teams had the same concerns as the Brewers about Gray, and if he was 6'2" or taller he would have been at least a top-7 pick.

I can't believe the number of first round failures the Brewers had during that stretch. It's really stunning how little value they have been able to get out of those players.

Was it a draft failure or a development failure? In nearly every year, there were players taken after the Brewers pick who went on to stardom, or at least valuable performance.

Remember, the bonus pool didn't exist in 2011; 2012 was the first year. (2010 was the first year for compensation for unsigned draft picks.) The Brewers were pushing for change, and so as not to be hypocritical they had to draft guys who would sign for close to the implied "slot value". If you rank 2011 picks by signing bonus, Jungmann and Bradley were drafted in the 20s. Prior to 2010 they had to pick guys who would sign. Budget was an issue - they were legitimately competing for a World Series and had to choose between investing in the draft and "going for it" by investing in the major league team before they would no longer be able to afford Fielder, etc. They chose to go for it, and I can't fault them for doing it.

In order to push for change, the Brewers had to abide by their desired changes. In essence, they kind of had to "fall on the sword" to make the changes happen. Certainly development is an issue, but I find it hard to criticize drafting when you don't have a bonus pool, unsigned pick compensation, etc., to level the playing field.

Weren't there some rumors floating around that Jungmann kind of "did his own thing" and reverted back to his old form/mechanics, against what he was being told to do by the organization? I think that would very well make the org not reward him for that by calling him up.

I thought he went back to his old mechanics but I didn't think it was a rouge move. That said, if he did it on his own and the organization held it against him by not calling him up that concerns me. He was rocked in MLB and AAA in 2016 and then went back to what worked for him and dominated (by Colorado Springs standards) AAA. You don't punish a guy for that.

Archived