Brewer Fanatic

Nick Ramirez

TURBO
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you to the both of you. Well, his numbers look good just about any way you cut them right now. Hopefully, that continues. It would be fun to have him in the bullpen because it gives you some versatility with a bench bat.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I really don't understand giving 40 man roster spots to relatively known quantities like Alec Asher and Saladino and not going with someone like Ramirez internally who is versatile in a totally different way than the many guys they already have who are only versatile in the field, whereas Ramirez is versatile in a very helpful way since you basically get 2 roster spots for the price of one.

Unless they just really like having a 40th guy that they constantly flip and don't care about losing.

Ramirez & Aguilar as power bats off bench & Ramirez & Jennings to play match ups with! Honestly though, guy deserves a shot at some point. He made a transition back to pitching after 5 years away from it & has not only excelled but been one of the safest arms to put out there in system. Outside of the lack of Ks, he’s been pretty dominant at getting guys out. The fact he is a lower average Power bat who can give you an extra guy if injuries hit at the plate is a real nice bonus

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Staff
I really don't understand giving 40 man roster spots to relatively known quantities like Alec Asher and Saladino and not going with someone like Ramirez internally who is versatile in a totally different way than the many guys they already have who are only versatile in the field, whereas Ramirez is versatile in a very helpful way since you basically get 2 roster spots for the price of one.

Unless they just really like having a 40th guy that they constantly flip and don't care about losing.

Not sure what you're asking for here, though. Ramirez is Brewers property for 2018. There's no need nor benefit to add Ramirez to the 40-man until he's needed to be added to the 25-man.

Now if you're thinking about last fall when some here wondered if he should be added to prevent him from going elsewhere in minor league free agency, that was a valid discussion. As we now know, if Ramirez did have interest from other teams, he spurned that to return late on the minor league deal he's on.

Not sure what you're asking for here, though. Ramirez is Brewers property for 2018. There's no need nor benefit to add Ramirez to the 40-man until he's needed to be added to the 25-man.

Now if you're thinking about last fall when some here wondered if he should be added to prevent him from going elsewhere in minor league free agency, that was a valid discussion. As we now know, if Ramirez did have interest from other teams, he spurned that to return late on the minor league deal he's on.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying with the last paragraph, they may prefer to have a guy in the 40th spot that is expendable. If you add Ramirez and need to clear his spot later, you risk losing him.

But I get what you're saying and you're right, there's really no advantage to adding a guy like Ramirez to the 40 unless you plan on imminently adding him to the 25 also.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Even if Ramirez doesn't make the Milwaukee BP, he should make some good trade bait as a deal sweetener if he keeps pitching like this.

Having too many good lefties is always a good problem. Actually having too many good is a good thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It has been a couple of weeks and he is still knocking them out. He has not given up a run in the last ten games! 23.1 innings pitcher this year , 2 earned runs, and a 0.90 whip.

He could easily fit on the 25 man roster as a switch for Lopez (who is doing fine) would be no big deal. Putting him on the 40 man roster would mean a cut of some sort cut. Is Nick Franklin on the 40? If so then no big deal. If not then Sogard and that is a little bigger ($2,000,000) to swallow.

If Boone Logan doesn't make a turnaround, this guy has to be in the equation.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It has been a couple of weeks and he is still knocking them out. He has not given up a run in the last ten games! 23.1 innings pitcher this year , 2 earned runs, and a 0.90 whip.

He could easily fit on the 25 man roster as a switch for Lopez (who is doing fine) would be no big deal. Putting him on the 40 man roster would mean a cut of some sort cut. Is Nick Franklin on the 40? If so then no big deal. If not then Sogard and that is a little bigger ($2,000,000) to swallow.

Franklin is on the DL, not sure if he can be released from the 40 while he's on it.

Sogard can go, the money is spent. I have no reluctance to move on from a guy because of salary. He's not good enough to be here and we can't get our money back. No need to compound the problem by holding on to him if we need his spot.

Asher could also be DFAed without anyone really batting an eye.

Logan seems like the most natural one in danger for Ramirez though, so he does need to start stringing together some good outings.

Could Franklin be transferred to 60-day DL and gain the 40 man spot? I'm not sure on how bad his injury really is or if that would end up costing the Brewers a lot more money on him but it might be an option.

Could Franklin be transferred to 60-day DL and gain the 40 man spot? I'm not sure on how bad his injury really is or if that would end up costing the Brewers a lot more money on him but it might be an option.

He would accrue service time, which is no big deal with him, but they would have to pay him a full MLB salary for 60 days which I'm sure they don't want to do if they plan to dump him again when he's healthy.

• 1 month later...

Right or wrong the MLB world doesn’t seem to value Ramirez at all. He had pretty great stats last year, was a free agent, and came back here. He then continues to look even better...and some older guy with awful MLB stats gets the call over him.

If Ramirez gets a call up I’m going to be really scared because obviously the Brewers don’t value him as a legit MLB reliever.

Right or wrong the MLB world doesn’t seem to value Ramirez at all. He had pretty great stats last year, was a free agent, and came back here. He then continues to look even better...and some older guy with awful MLB stats gets the call over him.

If Ramirez gets a call up I’m going to be really scared because obviously the Brewers don’t value him as a legit MLB reliever.

I don't understand the managements logic. His stats are almost perfect. Does he have only one pitch? If so, it must be a pretty good pitch because no one can score on him. He can also power hit as well as anyone on our mlb bench. I would rather him pinch hit over Sogard, maybe even Arcia. I surely would want him to pitch over the Big Z.

I think the issue is that Miley is higher on the pecking order and they will need to DFA someone when (if?) Miley is ready. My guess is they'd rather DFA Zagurski.

Zagurski does have a 14.4 K/9 this year, so he isn't terrible.

Archived