Brewer Fanatic

Neil Walker

Walker >>>> Villar.

You DFA Villar and sign Walker at these current numbers. Not that complicated.

I agree on the surface, but it's a little more complicated than that. If the Brewers truly believe that 2016 Villar can be recaptured, that is better than anything Walker is going to give you at this point in his career. But if the 2017 version of Villar is who he is, then it makes sense to cut bait and move on. What Walker provides is consistency ... basically a low ceiling and high floor. Villar obviously has a much lower floor, but that ceiling is much higher, even if the chances of getting to that level aren't that great. Starting him is a calculated risk.

But I agree that if Walker is signed, it means that the team is giving up on Villar, and one way or another, he'll be gone.

I guess Villar could come back to 2016 but the team doesn't really want even that Villar based on their moves. They seem to want professional hitters and Villar even at his limited best is the type of guy to pop up on the first pitch after their starter just loaded the bases.

Walker does have a bad back or at least it was last year. If it can last one year though that's not that big a deal because Hiura is on the way.

That is why there is no one being brought in so far, right?

Huge assumption, massive assumption he will be ready next year.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I get that Perez is super versatile defensively (although he plays many positions 'meh', not well), but why wouldn't he be the odd man out of the trio being discussed should Walker get signed? Perez is much more allergic to taking a walk than Villar, and I think this roster wouldn't consider Perez extra valuable just because he can wear alot of gloves - they already have more than enough and better OF options without him.

I really feel that if the Brewers wanted Walker over the options they have now, he'd be in their camp. If they do opt to bring him in as the predominant starting 2B, I'd rather have either a combination of Sogard + Villar, or Villar + Perez to round out the IF portion of the roster. Looking at Villar, something between his 2017 and 2016 seasons is still better than any of the other options, including Walker.

Good point on Perez. I know I'd previously mentioned how Sogard's guaranteed deal might be blocking Walker in a way. I was thinking that just assuming Perez was a lock to stay with his versatility. But with so much flex in the other guys, Sogard's ability to play SS, and abundance of OF depth I now see this as the way to do it. One potential issue is that Perez would be the only righty. Villar I know is switch but much weaker righty. So makes lineups vs lefties a bit hard to figure out

Sogard is on a guaranteed deal? I did not know this. Thought he had to make the team out of ST.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It feels like the majority of people here are severely overvaluing Walker.

He’s a better baseball player than any 2B option currently on the roster by a lot especially when you factor in how cheap he will be and we have 2 potentially (likely with Sogard) replacement level or worse options at 2B right now. He’s exponentially better than Sogard, 2 of the last 4 years he’s put up more WAR in a single season than Sogard has for his entire career and he’s more of a sure bet than Villar. You might lose upside with him vs villar but you are locking in a solid floor.

Just to clear this up. I threw this out there as I was not on the phone with Stearns and Walkers agent nor in any meetings with them. I do recall Stearns saying something to the affect that 3-4 years would be out of his comfort area. This is from a FA projection/tracker site

28. Neil Walker – Brewers. Two years, $20MM. A year ago, Walker chose to accept the hefty $17.2MM salary that came with the Mets’ qualifying offer rather than hit the market with a draft pick cost attached. He then engaged in multiyear extension talks with the Mets, but nothing came to fruition. This summer, the second baseman missed over a month with a hamstring injury and was traded to the Brewers in August. Walker continued his career-long run as an above-average hitter in 2017. However, the 32-year-old has averaged 112 games over the last two years and may be hard-pressed to find a three-year deal in free agency. There aren’t a ton of teams seeking a second baseman, with the Angels, Blue Jays, Mets and perhaps Red Sox as possibilities if the Brewers don’t bring Walker back.

Sogard is on a guaranteed deal? I did not know this. Thought he had to make the team out of ST.

I was surprised too when someone said it a few weeks ago here. I just googled to make sure I wasn't remembering wrong and it seems I was correct.

https://www.mlb.com/news/eric-sogard-signs-1-year-contract-with-brewers/c-259781940

I didn't see anything in there about it being a guaranteed contract. They could still cut him before opening day rosters and save the $2+ million, right?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If we pay $3M for Sogard, when we could've been paying $5M for Walker. Man oh man what a whiff that'll be.

The point is Villar is a very low baseball IQ player, Walker the opposite. We have apparently been targeting smart players over pure but raw athleticism.

Unless Walkers back is that bad, it's crazy to start Villar over him.

It’s Monday Morning Quarterbacking but man we probably could’ve got Cobb, Walker, Lucroy and a Austin Jackson, Jarrod Dyson, etc type as a 4/5 OF if we felt we wanted one instead of signing Cain, Sogard and Vogt for around the same money. The latter gives us a better team than the former and it isn’t all that close, IMO.

The point is Villar is a very low baseball IQ player, Walker the opposite. We have apparently been targeting smart players over pure but raw athleticism.

Unless Walkers back is that bad, it's crazy to start Villar over him.

Amen to this and I am a believer that Villar will be a blend between 2016 and 2017. With all things being equal, and in this case it should be given Villar/Walker are not long term solutions, I roll with Walker for 1-2 more years and hope Hiura is legit and ready in 2020.

Plus you have Walker to easily step in at 3rd if needed for Shaw and you can trust him to be much better than Perez/Sogard would be there.

True, but who steps in at SS? Sogard is the best option there out of those three. Honestly, since they are all short term solutions I would have rolled with both Walker and Sogard and traded Perez. First, Perez would definitely have trade value. Secondly, his versatility to play OF really isn't needed this year. But main reason, I like guys who can PH where you have a good feeling they can put the bat on the ball or take a walk. Perez just has way too many bad ABs for my liking.

Plus you have Walker to easily step in at 3rd if needed for Shaw and you can trust him to be much better than Perez/Sogard would be there.

True, but who steps in at SS? Sogard is the best option there out of those three. Honestly, since they are all short term solutions I would have rolled with both Walker and Sogard and traded Perez. First, Perez would definitely have trade value. Secondly, his versatility to play OF really isn't needed this year. But main reason, I like guys who can PH where you have a good feeling they can put the bat on the ball or take a walk. Perez just has way too many bad ABs for my liking.

Yup that's what was just discussed. Letting Perez go instead.

Villar I know is switch but much weaker righty. So makes lineups vs lefties a bit hard to figure out

Villar's career numbers are still noticeably better as an RHB, despite last year's dramatic deviation. He only had 126 PA's against LHP's last year and it would be unwise to draw any conclusions from that.

Could’ve just signed Sogard to a minor league deal for backup SS worries. Doubt he would’ve got a major league deal this offseason or else find some AAAA filler that’s always out there willing to be the backup SS on a minor league deal

Yes. I believe Stearns overshot himself here. Probably due to Counsell and his love for his mini-me.

I didn't really understand jumping the gun so fast to sign Sogard to an MLB deal...I don't understand it anymore today. We had a lot to maybe gain not jumping the gun and pretty much nothing if we waited around. I would have bet we could have matched any deal he was offered so I will never get the rush.

I didn't really understand jumping the gun so fast to sign Sogard to an MLB deal...I don't understand it anymore today. We had a lot to maybe gain not jumping the gun and pretty much nothing if we waited around. I would have bet we could have matched any deal he was offered so I will never get the rush.

He's a CC guy, nothing more to it than that.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Well off Walker goes to the Yankees. I still have tons of faith in Stearns and Co., but I'm getting more and more surprised that they haven't made more moves considering how much the value has depressed on some of these guys. Still think a move or two is made before OD though.

And the year before Villar only had 191 PAs and did well that inflates his stats. The fact the coaches treat him this way as a platoon is a sign that they view him better as a lefty, that's a pretty clear conclusion to draw in itself despite whatever numbers we choose to pick to support our argument.

Archived