Brewer Fanatic

Neil Walker

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What on earth has changed since then that would leapfrog Villar over 3 others who did the job down the stretch?

If Walker is signed, Villar doesn't make the team as the other two are more versatile and are coming off better years.

What has changed? Well, the season for starters. It's a brand new one.

And if we cut a 26-year old Villar, who has shown a lot of promise in his short time in his Brewer career over the likes of a Sogard... Stearns if flat out stupid. We could insert Counsell in our lineup and he could do what Sogard is going to give us this year. Stearns was silly for even offering him a contract. The guy is a flat out bum at the plate. We already have one of those as our versatile guy in Perez.

What kind of reality are you living in? Sogard is washed up and Villar is poised for greatness? Sogard could all but walk and strikeout and have a better OBP than Villar.

Actually, I was upset with Villar in his good year (2016) because of his antics on the bases and unsure glove. He did not have a GREAT season. Nah, he can be traded or released if Walker comes back. We don't need another K machine and headache in the field and on the bases.

I'm not a lover or hater of Villar, but to say he didn't have a great season in 2016 is not being honest. (Nor did he say Villar is poised for greatness, but you two can hash that one out.)

Thanks. Not responding to his reply though. Trying to stay away from that kind of stuff that happens here. Doesn't do me any good nor the boards.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yeah but he's the type that even when he's doing many great things he mixes in a good amount of incredibly foolish or absent minded stuff. Kinda like gogo.

Good or bad he's not dependable.

He can be this way, there is no doubt about that. Last year it seemed to show up even more. The hope is that last year was a year for humility for him. Learning that he is replaceable down to being the 4th-second basemen on the roster in a pennant race either will kick him in the rear to do better or he will stink and we can move on from him. I would just hate to see a youngish guy that put up the season he did in 2016 not get the opportunity to follow that up.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Didn't Walker turn down a 2 year $20 million dollar extension from the Brewers because he wanted like 4/48. This is beyond hilarious (except for the Walker family).

Wow, I didn't know that, that is a very big offer by the Brewers.

If the Brewers are unable to sign Walker, I'd probably do the trade of Broxton for Lowrie as one poster has suggested.

I'm not a lover or hater of Villar, but to say he didn't have a great season in 2016 is not being honest. (Nor did he say Villar is poised for greatness, but you two can hash that one out.)

Good, not great..... too many needless mistakes. Inning killing and demoralizing.

He said he shows promise, meaning good to great play imo.

The real crazy thing is the negatives toward Sogard when he obviously gives you more from the bench (steady glove, smart baserunner, contact hitter, walks more than K) than Villar. CC wouldn't even use the 2016 SB leader regularly as a pinch runner last season.... very telling.

Good, not great..... too many needless mistakes. Inning killing and demoralizing.

The real crazy thing is the negatives toward Sogard when he obviously gives you more from the bench (steady glove, smart baserunner, contact hitter, walks more than K) than Villar. CC wouldn't even use the 2016 SB leader regularly as a pinch runner last season.... very telling.

I think you're putting way too much weight on baserunning. I also think you're putting way too much weight on Sogards hot 6 weeks when he came up. Pretty awful after that. He is steady defensively and can walk, great. Dublin can do that and is even better in the field. You can always find a Sogard at any point of the season.

He's still available. So are the big SPs we've talked to. I think in Walker's signing, it hinders on the SP signed and for how much. You pay an Arrieta 22mil/year, is filling your 2b for 8mil or more a year doable? The team may only have 8-10mil cap to work with after that and would saving that money be better for a mid-season trade over a penny pinch mid-season trade? 8million now or a 14-18million guy with under 8million left on the year?

I think you're putting way too much weight on baserunning. I also think you're putting way too much weight on Sogards hot 6 weeks when he came up. Pretty awful after that. He is steady defensively and can walk, great. Dublin can do that and is even better in the field. You can always find a Sogard at any point of the season.

Not many have more walks than K's in all of baseball..... His OBP was way better than most last season, as well. I'm not sure why people don't appreciate Sogard more. He does very well in his role (or at least a bench role). Would we rather have another K machine that might hit 20 HR in the line-up with a weak glove and mental lapses? Seems to me that DS is moving away from that all or nothing hitting approach by signing Cain and trading for Yelich.

Not many have more walks than K's in all of baseball..... His OBP was way better than most last season, as well. I'm not sure why people don't appreciate Sogard more. He does very well in his role (or at least a bench role). Would we rather have another K machine that might hit 20 HR in the line-up with a weak glove and mental lapses? Seems to me that DS is moving away from that all or nothing hitting approach by signing Cain and trading for Yelich.

Why? That is pretty much the only time in his career when he has put up those numbers. He never walked more than he struck out until last year and his OBP last year is an extreme outlier compared to the rest of his career where he struggles to get to a .300 OBP. He has never performed like he did during that stretch and he probably never will again. I lose zero sleep if he gets cut today. My outlook for this team wouldn't change one iota.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Why? That is pretty much the only time in his career when he has put up those numbers. He never walked more than he struck out until last year and his OBP last year is an extreme outlier compared to the rest of his career where he struggles to get to a .300 OBP. He has never performed like he did during that stretch and he probably never will again. I lose zero sleep if he gets cut today. My outlook for this team wouldn't change one iota.

Pretty much My take on Villar, as well.

Pretty much My take on Villar, as well.

Except Sogard has been in the league quite a bit longer and has been basically a turd. Villar is 5-6 years younger and shown a flash of high level play. If Villar looks anything like that 2016 version, it’s a no brainer of who is kept if that decision has to be made.

Villar is just way too talented, young & controllable, athletic and versatile to not give him another chance.

Exactly, and compared to Sogard......well, it really isn't comparable.

Yes! I agree with this. Villar has a ton of talent, and if he can figure it out mentally, he would be leaps and bounds above Sogard. That said, if they sign Walker, I think Villar is probably gone. But if they stand pat, Villar is without a doubt the starter, and Sogard may not even make the team, considering Perez is more versatile and, well, better.

Villar is just way too talented, young & controllable, athletic and versatile to not give him another chance.

Versatile? He's versatile all right. He's proven he can't play defense at 3B, SS, 2B, or the OF.

Question ... do you just hate Villar, or do you hate that he was given the spot last year over Gennett?

Archived