Brewer Fanatic

Neil Walker

I would be quite surprised if Neil Walker were to get the 3-4 year deal he was supposedly looking for at the outset of the offseason. With Villar and Sogard on the roster still and Perez able to fill in, 2B in some people's eyes may no longer be a priority. However, I am not one of those people who believe that. While I would love to believe that Villar will bounce back and be at worst an average between the 2016 and 2017 version (.267/.339/.762, 15 HR, 42 SB), I want protection against that. Sogard and Perez do not represent that protection as them playing everyday would likely represent a replacement level player. Walker represents the perfect bridge to Isan Diaz or Keston Hiura on a two year deal. If Walker were available at 2 years $22 million, I think it represents a win-win for the Brewers and Walker:

1. As a bridge to their prospects;

2. As a potential trade piece at the deadline should they fall out of the playoff race;

3. As a starter that would make Villar available in a deal; and

4. As a last big-ish contract for Walker.

I hope the Brewers and Walker can find common ground on a reunion.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It depends on if Stearns believes this team is a contender right now. If he doesn't, I think they roll with Villar and hope that he smooths out his kinks. If he does, though, I assume there is mutual interest in a reunion, but likely not at four years Walker's agent is looking for. I think if Walker would settle for two seasons, the Brewers would be all over that. Walker is exactly the high contact, low strike-out type of hitter that the team needs in the line-up. He slots in perfectly as a #2 hitter.

It depends on if Stearns believes this team is a contender right now. If he doesn't, I think they roll with Villar and hope that he smooths out his kinks. If he does, though, I assume there is mutual interest in a reunion, but likely not at four years Walker's agent is looking for. I think if Walker would settle for two seasons, the Brewers would be all over that. Walker is exactly the high contact, low strike-out type of hitter that the team needs in the line-up. He slots in perfectly as a #2 hitter.

Very true. So far the moves we have made suggest DS doesn't think much of our team's ability to challenge the Cubs in 2018.

However there are still quite a few very starters out there so that could change. I'd think if we sign Lynn or Cobb we will also immediately add Walker.

One thing to keep in mind with Walker. We don't have unlimited 25 man space. 2 catchers, 4 OF, Thames, Shaw, Arcia, Sogard, Villar are all locks for the roster(barring an unlikely villar trade). That leaves one spot for Perez and Aguilar to battle for, so we are already going to lose one of them. Bringing in Walker pretty much forces us to trade Villar or cut/trade Sogard. Unless we manage to make do with a 7 man bullpen, we are going to have a significant positional player crunch this year.

One thing to keep in mind with Walker. We don't have unlimited 25 man space. 2 catchers, 4 OF, Thames, Shaw, Arcia, Sogard, Villar are all locks for the roster(barring an unlikely villar trade). That leaves one spot for Perez and Aguilar to battle for, so we are already going to lose one of them. Bringing in Walker pretty much forces us to trade Villar or cut/trade Sogard. Unless we manage to make do with a 7 man bullpen, we are going to have a significant positional player crunch this year.

If Walker signs a 2 year $22 million deal as I suggested, I have zero issue with dealing Villar as a piece in a deal for a SP or cutting Sogard or Perez as I view them as 25th man type guys.

If Walker signs a 2 year $22 million deal as I suggested, I have zero issue with dealing Villar as a piece in a deal for a SP or cutting Sogard or Perez as I view them as 25th man type guys.

Cutting Sogard or Perez significantly impacts our flexibility, which is critical when carrying 12 position players and 2 guys that are 1b only(aguilar can play 3b in an emergency, Thames is like Matt Holliday in LF).

Signing Walker probably means trading Villar and also probably means we have to keep Perez over Aguilar. If we didn't make the move, Perez could be the one to go and Villar could be the emergency 3rd CF option. If Villar goes, I think it's important to keep Perez for that job...which weakens our bench not having Aguilar. And trading Villar now probably would be throwing away significant value. He's almost certainly something between the 2016 and 2017 versions. Even being roughly at the midpoint is a valuable player.

It's a tough call really. Walker is more stable/certain, and his hitting style complements our roster better. Villar has the better upside, and is much cheaper, and keeping him likely means we can also keep aguilar.

Cutting Sogard or Perez significantly impacts our flexibility, which is critical when carrying 12 position players and 2 guys that are 1b only(aguilar can play 3b in an emergency, Thames is like Matt Holliday in LF).

Signing Walker probably means trading Villar and also probably means we have to keep Perez over Aguilar. If we didn't make the move, Perez could be the one to go and Villar could be the emergency 3rd CF option. If Villar goes, I think it's important to keep Perez for that job...which weakens our bench not having Aguilar. And trading Villar now probably would be throwing away significant value. He's almost certainly something between the 2016 and 2017 versions. Even being roughly at the midpoint is a valuable player.

It's a tough call really. Walker is more stable/certain, and his hitting style complements our roster better. Villar has the better upside, and is much cheaper, and keeping him likely means we can also keep aguilar.

If the Brewers sign Walker, the 5 man bench could be:

C: Vogt

IF: Sogard OR Villar

OF: Brinson OR Broxton (Assuming Phillips starts)

UTIL: Perez

1B/PH: Aguilar

I guess I don't understand why flexibility is sacrificed if Walker is signed when Brinson/Broxton/Perez can cover the OF, Sogard/Villar/Perez can cover 3B/2B/SS and Aguilar/Walker can cover 1B.

What am I missing Keith Stone?

If the Brewers sign Walker, the 5 man bench could be:

C: Vogt

IF: Sogard OR Villar

OF: Brinson OR Broxton (Assuming Phillips starts)

UTIL: Perez

1B/PH: Aguilar

I guess I don't understand why flexibility is sacrificed if Walker is signed when Brinson/Broxton/Perez can cover the OF, Sogard/Villar/Perez can cover 3B/2B/SS and Aguilar/Walker can cover 1B.

What am I missing Keith Stone?

You are missing that the Brewers have carried a 4 man bench the past couple years. It might be easier to go with a 5 man bench and 7 man bullpen if we add a solid starter to the rotation, but if we don't and roll with one of Suter/Wilkerson/Hader...then we had better have 8 in that bullpen. It gets a bit more tricky with a 4 man bench, and would basically force us to trade an additional established player while we already are going to have to trade a minimum of 2.

Sogard was re-signed to a MLB contract, so he's not getting cut. We need a backup catcher (Vogt), and we will have a real OF as our 4th OF this season whether that be Phillips, Brinson, or Broxton. If we sign Walker and choose to go with a 4-man bench, that will leave one spot open for Villar, Perez, or Aguilar.

Even if we don't sign Walker, at least one of Villar, Perez, or Aguilar would not be on the Brewers' opening day roster if we go with a 4-man bench.

I've always liked the idea of Walker on a 2-year deal. I've just never liked adding the third year. I'll take an All Star talent at 2nd base regardless of it's effect on the bench, as we are a much better team with Walker than without him.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I've always liked the idea of Walker on a 2-year deal. I've just never liked adding the third year. I'll take an All Star talent at 2nd base regardless of it's effect on the bench, as we are a much better team with Walker than without him.

This pretty much sums up my feeling on the situation. I could care less about what happens to Villar, Sogard or Perez if it means bringing Walker back into the fold. A position of question becomes a position of strength with Walker on the roster.

VIllar started one game at 2b in September and that was the lone meaningless finale. Perez started 7 and Sogard started 6. Walker or no Walker nothing has happened since the season ended for Villar to jump ahead not one but two spots on the depth chart.

This is why it would just make so much sense, along with the OF logjam, to have Braun at 1B vs LHP

VIllar started one game at 2b in September and that was the lone meaningless finale. Perez started 7 and Sogard started 6. Walker or no Walker nothing has happened since the season ended for Villar to jump ahead not one but two spots on the depth chart.

If we don't bring in Walker, I think it's fair to at minimum give Villar a chance in open competition in ST to win the 2b job. Him/Sogard/Perez(if he's on the roster).

And I agree with the poster on Braun, having him play some 1b would be beneficial for many reasons. Heck Aguilar probably has some trade value and might net us a Jason Rogers type return depending how the market shakes out if we moved him.

If we don't bring in Walker, I think it's fair to at minimum give Villar a chance in open competition in ST to win the 2b job. Him/Sogard/Perez(if he's on the roster).

And I agree with the poster on Braun, having him play some 1b would be beneficial for many reasons. Heck Aguilar probably has some trade value and might net us a Jason Rogers type return depending how the market shakes out if we moved him.

Yep, if nothing happens, it will be an open competition between Villar and Sogard for the job. I'd prefer that Villar wins it if that is the case, as Sogard profiles much better as super sub than Villar would.

Briggs, you have to face that, barring a big acquisition, Villar will be given every opportunity to right the ship as the starter at 2B.

In the heat of a playoff race, Villar and his lost season had no place starting when you had the offense of Walker and the defense of Sogard/Perez.

Perez is also a legit backup at SS, though not as strong of an option as Villar.

I'd still far prefer a 5-man bench than a 4-man bench. I think a 4-man bench leaves way too little defensive & PH flexibility, especially if someone's out for a couple consecutive days.

I like Walker but is he really worth that much more than Villar/Sogard?? The more I think about it the more I would pass on Walker, unless you're spending $22 million (give or take) to just spend it.

Yes because unlike those 2, Walker is consistently decent at baseball

I like Walker but is he really worth that much more than Villar/Sogard?? The more I think about it the more I would pass on Walker, unless you're spending $22 million (give or take) to just spend it.

Really depends on if you think Villar is salvageable. Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I think Villar has the talent to play closer to his 2016 level than what he did last year.

Walker is a good, solid player who would make a great role player on a playoff contender. If Stearns feels that the team is a playoff contender, signing Walker wouldn't surprise me at all. But letting things ride with Villar wouldn't surprise me either, especially if he feels the team is still in the midst of a rebuild. Also, with Diaz, Dubon and Huera on the horizon at 2B, it would be nice to see Villar rebuild his trade value.

I really hope they don't go with an eight man rotation, would much rather have Perez/Aguilar as options vs another pitcher. They have a number of guys including Suter, Wang, Webb, Wilkerson, Williams, Houser, Lopez and even Barnes if need be to rotate between Milwaukee and the minors as the 7th bullpen guy.

I think if Walker is re-signed I think Villar is the one to go because Perez is a better utility guy and a solid player at 2B, 3B and corner outfield. They obviously can't go long term with Sogar/Perez as SS but they are okay to fill in.

Just for sake of a reference point, I used 1970 as a starting date, and in compiling the 326 qualified second basemen since then, Walker is #45 in aggregate WAR for his career at 21.1 (per Fangraphs). Being the 45th highest WAR at a position in a 47 year time-frame won't put him in the Hall of Fame, but it puts him far ahead of guys like Villar and Sogard.

My only concern with signing Walker, assuming we get a fair price, is that he's 32 years old. He should be fine for a 2-year deal, but once a player gets into his mid-30s he could hit a cliff at any time. Hence my concern over a three or four year deal.

Additionally, I think that the Brewers are hurt by the number of high strikeout guys they have on their roster, and believe that is why they have been prone to "streakiness" in the recent past. We need to start getting some different approaches into the lineup. Guys like Perez and Villar do not help in that regard. I think that's why Sogard was re-signed, but Walker is just a lot better (and more consistent) than Sogard.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Looking around the league, Walker may want 3-4 years at 10 million plus per year, but i see the odds being slim at best that he finds a team who meets those desires.

I'm really curious to see if Villar can bounce back from his nightmare season, so i'm fine with standing pat at second base, but if Stearns can wait out Walker and get a deal for two years, i'd be fine with that also.

There are going to be many free agents who went into this offseason with really lofty dollar amounts floating in their heads, but at some point will have to accept a reality that the market for their services simply isn't what they hoped for.

Looking around the league, Walker may want 3-4 years at 10 million plus per year, but i see the odds being slim at best that he finds a team who meets those desires.

I'm really curious to see if Villar can bounce back from his nightmare season, so i'm fine with standing pat at second base, but if Stearns can wait out Walker and get a deal for two years, i'd be fine with that also.

There are going to be many free agents who went into this offseason with really lofty dollar amounts floating in their heads, but at some point will have to accept a reality that the market for their services simply isn't what they hoped for.

What makes you think "standing pat" means Villar gets his job back? He was behind both Sogard and Perez at the end of 2017 and both those guys are still on the roster. If the fall back plan was to simply return Villar to a starter role, then why is the first offseason move to bring back Sogard for $2.4 million? Just because Villar is still on the roster, doesn't mean he's in the plans for 2018. Scooter was still around last year until near the end of spring training. He still let Scooter go even though his 2016 wasn't as bad as Villar's 2017 because Scooter was never in the plans for 2017. It's likely the same fate awaits Villar unless they can convince some team out there to deal for him. Right now there's zero demand.

What makes you think "standing pat" means Villar gets his job back? He was behind both Sogard and Perez at the end of 2017 and both those guys are still on the roster. Add in Walker and he was 4th string.

In this case, "standing pat" means that Villar is given the opportunity to prove that he is the 2016 version and not the 2017 version. Because the 2016 version of Villar is infinitely better than anything Sogard or Perez, or Walker really, is going to provide. And I have a feeling you know that.

Archived