Brewer Fanatic

Preseason Top 100 Prospect Lists - Pipeline / BA / BP / Fangraphs

adambr2

Every time we go over roster composition and should we trade santana stuff I keep thinking how amazing this team could be with Lutz in RF and Huira at 2b.

Woodruff Burnes Peralta Huira Lutz feel like the key to an elite team.

Cain yelich braun/thames shaw huira lutz arcia C

I mean look at that! Knebel Hader Peralta in the pen. Teams got 2 arms you can trust. Nelson FA Woodruff Burnes. Could decide it.

Now, imagine if we can trade Santana for Meija from Cleveland:

2019/2020: Cain, Yelich, braun, Shaw, huira, meija, Phillips/Lutz, arcia.

Rotation of Nelson, Anderson, Davies, Woodruff, Burnes. Bullpen of Kneble, Hader, Peralta, Williams, ...

That could be scary good.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Every time we go over roster composition and should we trade santana stuff I keep thinking how amazing this team could be with Lutz in RF and Huira at 2b.

I mean look at that! Knebel Hader Peralta in the pen. Teams got 2 arms you can trust. Nelson FA Woodruff Burnes. Could decide it.

Now, imagine if we can trade Santana for Meija from Cleveland:

2019/2020: Cain, Yelich, braun, Shaw, huira, meija, Phillips/Lutz, arcia.

Rotation of Nelson, Anderson, Davies, Woodruff, Burnes. Bullpen of Kneble, Hader, Peralta, Williams, ...

That could be scary good.

Mejia would be awesome, but the guy is a top 10-20 prospect in the game. He'd cost a ton. Cleveland - just like Milwaukee - needs these cheap, cost controlled players to survive. Plus, the Indians are likely going to need a decent catcher in the near future - and they really don't have anyone else in the system that would fill the need.

But hey - who knows. Can't hurt to try and get the guy. Obviously we can dangle Santana as a centerpiece of any deal - but I don't think that will be enough. And I just don't know what else it will take.

The biggest question might be Mejia's defense. His arm is fantastic, but some scouts aren't thrilled with his work behind the plate. I don't know why - perhaps others can expand on this. The fact that the Indians played Mejia at 3B in the AFL is kind of interesting. Not sure what to read into it. On one hand, the Indians say they want him to improve his versatility. On the other, if you want a guy to improve at catching, shouldn't you keep him there? Just saying.

Mejia would be awesome, but the guy is a top 10-20 prospect in the game. He'd cost a ton. Cleveland - just like Milwaukee - needs these cheap, cost controlled players to survive. Plus, the Indians are likely going to need a decent catcher in the near future - and they really don't have anyone else in the system that would fill the need.

But hey - who knows. Can't hurt to try and get the guy. Obviously we can dangle Santana as a centerpiece of any deal - but I don't think that will be enough. And I just don't know what else it will take.

The biggest question might be Mejia's defense. His arm is fantastic, but some scouts aren't thrilled with his work behind the plate. I don't know why - perhaps others can expand on this. The fact that the Indians played Mejia at 3B in the AFL is kind of interesting. Not sure what to read into it. On one hand, the Indians say they want him to improve his versatility. On the other, if you want a guy to improve at catching, shouldn't you keep him there? Just saying.

I think Mejia is overrated to be honest. Cleveland traded him once and there have been questions about his defense. With that said, I would do Santana and maybe a minor piece for him. I am not sold on Nottingham and would rather have two shots at it like when we had Lucroy and Salome.

I don’t see any reason why Cleveland would be so open to trade Mejia even if it gives them a righty in OF. Think Broxton to mix in there with what they have is a better fit & we get one of there many arms.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Minor correction: Hiura and his eventual .400 OBP is going to be batting leadoff from his rookie season ;)

John Sickels over at minorleagueball.com has been posting the lead up for his Brewers Top 20 list & gave the following grade break down in the preview post...

B+: 3 B: 2 B-: 6 C+: 25

Guessing the higher grades will shake out like...

B+: (Hiura, Burnes, Woodruff)

B: (Maverick, Ortiz)

B-: (Lutz, Clark, Ray, Peralta, Erceg, Dubon)

Minor correction: Hiura and his eventual .400 OBP is going to be batting leadoff from his rookie season ;)

Ok, fine by me... HI-ura... got it! (Soo bad with names)

John Sickels over at minorleagueball.com has been posting the lead up for his Brewers Top 20 list & gave the following grade break down in the preview post...

That looks about right but I think Ortiz may sneak up a level.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Interesting. I'd wonder on Ponce over Ray. Probably Lutz over Ortiz.

The C+ amounts are something to gawk at. I mean, what were these numbers each of the past 5 years? I guess 5 years ago we didn't even have a total of 12 guys A-C+ I mean is it really 25 C+ or 25 total C grades? Outstanding talent almost a full 40man roster to be average or better.

I have a hard time believing Woodruff would be a B+...he's more of a B in my opinion. But I don't know who else it would be. Hiura/Burnes are the obvious 2. Maybe he still has Ray that high based on tools? Maybe Peralta? The only other guy with a shot at a B+ would be phillips. I'm curious, and I'm surprised he hasn't posted results yet.

Interesting. I'd wonder on Ponce over Ray. Probably Lutz over Ortiz.

The C+ amounts are something to gawk at. I mean, what were these numbers each of the past 5 years? I guess 5 years ago we didn't even have a total of 12 guys A-C+ I mean is it really 25 C+ or 25 total C grades? Outstanding talent almost a full 40man roster to be average or better.

So searching inside the forum, this comment for post 2015. We had a lot of B- but only 25 total on C+ or better.

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2015/12/2/9814812/milwaukee-brewers-top-20-prospects-for-2016

MudVille said:

Just a quick comparison, but in 2016 we have 16 prospects B- or better. In 2015 we had nine. We will see how things go in the future, but I'd say the rebuild is going swimmingly right now. If we hit on a good return for Lucroy we may have over 20 B- or better next year this time with hopefully five or six in the Top 100. Looking forward to the 2018 and 2019 Milwaukee Brewers.

In case you are curious we had only 5 B- or better in 2014.

last season link:

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2017/1/17/14297686/milwaukee-brewers-top-20-prospects-for-2017

28 total grade C+ or better.

So overall we are deeper, but the higher grades have dwindled somewhat. Lots of C+ but Bs and A aren't aplenty.

• 4 months later...
I agree about the big market bias on ranking minor leaguers. It’s always been the case. Just to throw out an example, is Chance Adams a better prospect than Corbin Burnes? Let’s see.

Lot of intrigue with the minor leaguers this year:

1. Will Keston Hiura adjust seamlessly to playing defense, including turning the double play with authority on his throws? Will his arm stay healthy?

Yes

2. Can Tristen Lutz keep cranking and be on a high end track?

Lately, Yes

3. Is Luis Ortiz in better shape? Can he huff and puff past six innings and increase his innings?

Mixed

4. Can Corey Ray make some adjustments and get himself back on top 100 track as a former fifth overall pick?

YES!

5. Can Trent Grisham improve his hit tool? While he has had good obp, you’d like to see more hits.

No

6. With Josh Nottingham succesfully improving his defense last year, can he improve in a more balanced way, both behind the dish and batting?

Yes

7. Can Corbin Burnes continue to prove he’s the real deal? There are rightfully high hopes for him.

Yes

8. Will any of the foreign teens like Jean Carmona and company erupt?

Yes

9. Jake Gatewood took a step forward last year. Can be make another jump?

Mixed

10. Lucas Erceg is a talented guy who can be inconsistent. Will he put it all together?

Mixed

11. Will Taylor Williams, Nick Ramirez and Adrian Houser become bullpen assets all the way up to Milwaukee at some point?

Yes

12. Kodi Medeiros could be a tough reliever. Will that come more into focus as a former twelfth overall pick in the draft? I have lingering doubts about him as a starter but maybe he will prove himself that way still.

So far, so good.

13. Will Mario Feliciano build on his solid year at class A where he was only 18 and acquitted himself nicely?

Mixed

14. Will Cody Ponce show that he is MLB starting material? Or is he more of a sixth or seventh inning reliever and spot starter?

Likely not an MLB starter

Overall, I’m bullish about our future bullpens as we have a number of guys who are bubbling up who may be able to thrive in that role.

Would it be a fair thing to say that all of Ray, Medeiros, Brown, Diplan, Lutz, Erceg, Turang, Gray and Ortiz (9 players!) are probably in the 101-200 range depending on subjectivity and could all be considered "fringe" top 100s that could easily move up there by the end of the season? Or am I being too generous with that list?

Would it be a fair thing to say that all of Ray, Medeiros, Brown, Diplan, Lutz, Erceg, Turang, Gray and Ortiz (9 players!) are probably in the 101-200 range depending on subjectivity and could all be considered "fringe" top 100s that could easily move up there by the end of the season? Or am I being too generous with that list?

I'd question Gray. I think he needs more of a track record but other than Brown, those guys have all been fringe top 100 guys at some point. So no, I think you are being reasonable on all of them.

Lutz, Ray, and Turang seem like pretty safe bets.

Brown I would guess should be there or close.

Ortiz and Erceg maybe. Putting together multiple not so promising years though.

Diplan, Medeiros, and Gray probably not. Diplan hasn’t been all that impressive, Medeiros might be working his way back to that kind of ranking, and Gray probably just doesn’t fit that mold yet.

Ortiz has had a couple of blow up starts but his numbers have been pretty good. He has work to do but I'm not going to disappointing yet. Diplan has been pretty darn good since getting bumped to AA as well. I'd say both are easily top 200.

Medeiros is eight months younger than Ortiz, pitching at the same level, and arguably pitching better. He was 21 when the season started and is 2.4 years younger than league average, 3.20 ERA, 9.4 K/9, 8.0 H/9, walks a little high (4.0) but for his age and the level he is pitching very well. I think he's in the top 200.

Right now I'll have Medeiros coming in somewhere between #5 and #7 on my next top 30 ballot.

Way too generous.

First: the recent draft & international signing will be in play for the top 200. I will suggest 12 players (9 draft signings & 3 internationals) from this group land in the top 200.

Second: between the guys your suggesting for 100-200 range plus guys the Brewer have in the top 100, your proposing over 10% of the top 200 prospects are in the Brewers system.. There are 29 other teams and many are as deep or deeper than the Brewers. We know that SD (after getting Mejia) has 10 of the top 100. I would be shocked if they didn't have another name or 2 in next 100. LA Dodgers have another very deep system. So let's quantify 'many' as 9 other clubs (including SD & LAD). Your then suggesting that 10 clubs/ farm systems make up roughly 55-60% of the top 200 and the other 20 clubs/systems make up around 40-45% of the list. I don't see that math working out..

Medeiros is eight months younger than Ortiz, pitching at the same level, and arguably pitching better. He was 21 when the season started and is 2.4 years younger than league average, 3.20 ERA, 9.4 K/9, 8.0 H/9, walks a little high (4.0) but for his age and the level he is pitching very well. I think he's in the top 200.

Right now I'll have Medeiros coming in somewhere between #5 and #7 on my next top 30 ballot.

I think Medeiros is generally undervalued by many on here, at least in my opinion. I'm really high on him as well. He may end up in relief, but has the potential to be equally as filthy as Hader out of the bullpen in a similar multi-inning role. Over the last 2 years, he's finally started to be able to fully harness his incredible stuff. The results have been very good.

I think Medeiros is generally undervalued by many on here, at least in my opinion. I'm really high on him as well. He may end up in relief, but has the potential to be equally as filthy as Hader out of the bullpen in a similar multi-inning role. Over the last 2 years, he's finally started to be able to fully harness his incredible stuff. The results have been very good.

Agree that he tends to be undervalued. It seems like he's been in the Brewers' farm system forever, yet he just turned 22. I would repeat him in AA again next year however. Not sure I want Medeiros to ever pitch in Colorado Springs.

Agree that he tends to be undervalued. It seems like he's been in the Brewers' farm system forever, yet he just turned 22. I would repeat him in AA again next year however. Not sure I want Medeiros to ever pitch in Colorado Springs.

Isn't this the last season in Colorado Springs for our AAA affiliate?

Archived