Brewer Fanatic

Ludicrous Brewer Trade Proposals from Other Team's Fans

Given the lack of real trades involving the Brewers, I thought this would be a good topic to start as I continue to hear trades on TV, radio or other fan sites about the Brewers that make me shake my head. My favorite one to date was a proposal on MLB Network Radio from a fan of the San Diego Padres that they should be targeting Travis Shaw.

While I understand the desire of other fan bases to target Travis Shaw, a fan of another small market should understand that youngish, cost-controlled, 30 HR 3B with good defense on a playoff contending small market team are about as untouchable as they come barring an unbelievably one-sided offer.

There have been quite a few awful proposals from fan sites and national sites. The one from the Royals thread was a perfect example. The writer says how perfectly we match up as trade partners, but in reality we match up well with any team looking to trade away a SP, RP, or 2B because our farm is so strong. Same reason the Braves match up so well in discussions for Yelich and Realmuto, every rebuilding team's fans want to trade their players to top farm systems.

I'll be curious to see some links to posted trade proposals, especially anything involving Archer.

Given the lack of real trades involving the Brewers, I thought this would be a good topic to start as I continue to hear trades on TV, radio or other fan sites about the Brewers that make me shake my head. My favorite one to date was a proposal on MLB Network Radio from a fan of the San Diego Padres that they should be targeting Travis Shaw.

While I understand the desire of other fan bases to target Travis Shaw, a fan of another small market should understand that youngish, cost-controlled, 30 HR 3B with good defense on a playoff contending small market team are about as untouchable as they come barring an unbelievably one-sided offer.

Well, if they want to target Travis Shaw, they do have the ammo to trade for him. If they were to offer a stupid trade like Mackenzie Gore and a couple more of their top 50 or top 100 prospects, it would be hard to say no. Everyone is always available, but not usually at a price other teams would be willing to pay.

Was there a specific proposal that was ludicrous? As you mentioned it's certainly understandable that another organization would target Shaw.

From a fan called Donaldrump from the Rays forum:

"The Brewers reported interest in Lorenzo Cain (being noted everywhere), strikes most as odd; if there's anything the Brewers have, it's good hitting/fielding OFs, all of whom are CF capable. Lewis Brinson is a top 20 (throughout all of MLB) prospect; Monte Harrison is in the top 50; Brett Phillips in the top 100. All hit from the right side, except Phillips, and are sound defensively. And the Brew Crew already have Domingo Santana, who excelled in his first year. And an intriguing 207 first draft pick in Lutz ; again, RH power.

The Rays are completely barren for RH power (not to mention defensive OFs who rate as plus defenders) in their organization.

Milwaukee lusts for Archer, and paying a Cain/Archer combo would actually be cheaper than signing Cobb or Lynn. They improve in two spots, and don't have to gamble on the Lynn/Cobb health issues.

Makes a lot of sense...might even to get the Brewers to eat Span (or a portion thereof). Stay tuned...this really smells as something that's happening."

Jan-4 12:59 PM by donaldrump

From a fan called Donaldrump from the Rays forum:

"The Brewers reported interest in Lorenzo Cain (being noted everywhere), strikes most as odd; if there's anything the Brewers have, it's good hitting/fielding OFs, all of whom are CF capable. Lewis Brinson is a top 20 (throughout all of MLB) prospect; Monte Harrison is in the top 50; Brett Phillips in the top 100. All hit from the right side, except Phillips, and are sound defensively. And the Brew Crew already have Domingo Santana, who excelled in his first year. And an intriguing 207 first draft pick in Lutz ; again, RH power.

The Rays are completely barren for RH power (not to mention defensive OFs who rate as plus defenders) in their organization.

Milwaukee lusts for Archer, and paying a Cain/Archer combo would actually be cheaper than signing Cobb or Lynn. They improve in two spots, and don't have to gamble on the Lynn/Cobb health issues.

Makes a lot of sense...might even to get the Brewers to eat Span (or a portion thereof). Stay tuned...this really smells as something that's happening."

Jan-4 12:59 PM by donaldrump

I looked at that post and there really wasn't anything specific. In a post farther down, they mentioned that Burnes would probably need to be in the deal. Would you do a Burnes and Santana trade for Archer? I am guessing that is probably light but seeing some other posts that includes most of our farm do not seem realistic either.

I absolutely love Corbin Burnes, and if he is offered Archer for Burnes straight up he should try to remain calm as he accepts the offer and then dance and party in the streets of Milwaukee all night.

If we didn't want to keep Archer we could probably turn around and flip him for triple that.

I like Archer, but the thing that worries me is he has several thousand hard sliders on that arm. I'd still be willing to give up a decent haul for him, but would have a very hard time including either Burnes or Hader. I saw Span's name mentioned somewhere, wonder if they would take a bit less if they could include him for salary relief.

Was there a specific proposal that was ludicrous? As you mentioned it's certainly understandable that another organization would target Shaw.

No players were specifically mentioned by the caller. Rather he was quite upset that the Padres weren't going hard after Travis Shaw. The implication was that he was available and could be had relatively easily.

That call got me thinking that the equivalent of that would be us Brewer fans being very upset that the Brewers weren't actively trying to trade for Jose Berrios (another small market stud who almost certainly isn't going anywhere).

I saw this one from another fan that I thought was awful:

J.T. Realmuto for Brinson, Ortiz plus 1 other good piece

Realmuto has a ton of value, but I'm not sure he's going to fetch a return that strong. It shouldn't be surprising that teams looking to rebuild want to trade for our prospects, our system is loaded. Miami fans surely like the Yelich to Atlanta rumors, same with Pittsburgh fans with Cole to NYY. Both those front offices are very good and won't overpay in value for those players. Unless you are trading with fools like Dombrowski or Epstein, the days of insane prospect hauls for established major leaguers are pretty much over.

https://puckettspond.com/2017/12/01/minnesota-twins-offseason-trade-profile-milwaukee-brewers/

I figure this thread should have at least one ridiculous trade proposal. This article includes 3. The one I would dub as "ludicrous" is Josh Hader for Nick Gordon. Even if you value him purely as a bullpen guy, it's not even close. You'd have to look at the Ken Giles return to get an idea of what Hader should cost.

The other trades I don't really like either. I would much rather trade Broxton for prospects than for a 30 year old pitcher coming off back to back 5+ ERA seasons and 2 years of team control. The deal for Ervin Santana is the most reasonable of the three if it were offered, it depends on the rest of the offseason plan though.

Realmuto has a ton of value, but I'm not sure he's going to fetch a return that strong. It shouldn't be surprising that teams looking to rebuild want to trade for our prospects, our system is loaded. Miami fans surely like the Yelich to Atlanta rumors, same with Pittsburgh fans with Cole to NYY. Both those front offices are very good and won't overpay in value for those players. Unless you are trading with fools like Dombrowski or Epstein, the days of insane prospect hauls for established major leaguers are pretty much over.

I don’t think that offer isn’t far off what it would take honestly. He is incredibly young, proven, and controllable three more years. That is twice as long as Jonathan Lucroy. He doesn’t have the MVP like year under his belt that Lucroy did, but he is younger and controlled longer. If he is a 3+ WAR player(not hard to believe) he isn’t definitely worth that kind of package.

https://puckettspond.com/2017/12/01/minnesota-twins-offseason-trade-profile-milwaukee-brewers/

I figure this thread should have at least one ridiculous trade proposal. This article includes 3. The one I would dub as "ludicrous" is Josh Hader for Nick Gordon. Even if you value him purely as a bullpen guy, it's not even close. You'd have to look at the Ken Giles return to get an idea of what Hader should cost.

I kind of like Nick Gordon but nowhere near what the Brewers would want for Hader. The author even notes the Brewers are looking at an upgrade at second but don't know how a AA 2B would help the major league team.

I don’t think that offer isn’t far off what it would take honestly. He is incredibly young, proven, and controllable three more years. That is twice as long as Jonathan Lucroy. He doesn’t have the MVP like year under his belt that Lucroy did, but he is younger and controlled longer. If he is a 3+ WAR player(not hard to believe) he isn’t definitely worth that kind of package.

I don't think age is a huge factor, but team control absolutely is...and Lucroy was attained for 1.5 years of control while Realmuto for 3. Lucroy was a better hitter at the time and had the multiple all stars. They seem like a push defensively. Teams will pay a premium for premium talent though, and Lucroy was an all-star vs Realmuto being a very good player. I would say maybe their value's are equal, though a team may give up more for Realmuto if they think he can improve and get to prime-lucroy level or better...and he'd have to do that quickly given he turns 27 this year.

I think general consensus on the trade was lucroy for brinson and ortiz for jeffress, with cordell as additional value. Brinson's value has gone up significantly since then, I don't think Realmuto is the caliber of player that should warrant including Brinson. I could see Realmuto getting 3 good players, but the value I see is moreso Peralta or Ortiz + Harrison + a depth type...like ponce. Or maybe they go Peralta or Ortiz + Ray + Dubon + an upside play like Kirby or Pennington. I don't think I'd want to do a package like that, but that's what I think is more fair. And again, I just don't see Realmuto as the caliber of player that warrants including brinson/burnes/hiura in a deal.

Archived