Brewer Fanatic

Is/ was Jimmy Nelson an ace?

docduany

Ace is elite, top tier, dominate, game changing, every year all-Star, CY Young contender, that is the franchise player. When he is on mound, you know you will win. Will WAR over 5 consistently while often hitting the 6-8 range.

A #1 is a guy who is in the next tier. Very good & steady. At times dominate. May be all-star here and there while occasionally finishing in the 5-10 range in CY Young. When he is on mound you think you stand good chance to win or he will keep you in a game. He gets Ks at a good clip and will WAR around to higher that 4 a year and peak with a rare season in the mid 5s maybe 6 range.

1b. Next tier. Consistently good but not dominate. May make an All-Star game but not major MLB name. Will WAR around 3+ a year, and you think there is good chance you can win with him out there. He is not good enough or dominate enough to be an Ace or legit 1 but a great Robin or high tier #2.

To me Sheets was an Ace but he is my favorite Brewer all time so I’m biased. Probably more #1. Gallardo was a 1b (high end #2, low end #1 tweener) Right now, Jimmy is a 1b imo. Hasn’t crossed line yet to being a true 1. He is not an Ace but few are. Those guys don’t come around often. Those guys are CY Young contenders every year. #1s may sneak into convo here & there, 1bs at best finish at best in the 7 or high in votes (like Gallardo has done).

Those are my definitions

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Archived