Brewer Fanatic

Brewers worst Free Agent signing of this past decade

patrickgpe
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting on the Ryan thing. The Brewers basically didn't sign free agents from other teams back in the 80s. I can't think of any non scrap pile fa acquisition between Roy Howell and Dave Parker.

Does this have something to do with the whole collusion thing back in the 80's? Paul Molitor was a free-agent after the 1987 season and no other teams showed interest in signing, IIRC.

Sticking with the past decade parameters, I'll give an honorable mention to catchers Johnny Estrada and Gregg Zaun. Estrada because he was not good and he got paid 3.4 million 2007 dollars. Zaun was less expensive, not bad and of course got hurt which isn't his fault. However, signing a 39 year old mediocre catcher is not a good offseason move to follow up the first playoff appearance in 26 years.

Estrada was acquired in a trade

Interesting on the Ryan thing. The Brewers basically didn't sign free agents from other teams back in the 80s. I can't think of any non scrap pile fa acquisition between Roy Howell and Dave Parker.

Does this have something to do with the whole collusion thing back in the 80's? Paul Molitor was a free-agent after the 1987 season and no other teams showed interest in signing, IIRC.

I'm not sure, but the Brewers were players in free agency back in the 70's, signing Bando, Hisle and Fosse, but then nothing after Howell in 80. None of those signings worked out very well on the field, so maybe they were leery of getting burned again. I will say that the Brewers pretty much retained every notable free agent they had outside of Billy Travers until the mass exodus of 92. I don't even think that they went to an arbitration hearing with anyone until one w/ Gantner in the late 80's.

Sticking with the past decade parameters, I'll give an honorable mention to catchers Johnny Estrada and Gregg Zaun. Estrada because he was not good and he got paid 3.4 million 2007 dollars. Zaun was less expensive, not bad and of course got hurt which isn't his fault. However, signing a 39 year old mediocre catcher is not a good offseason move to follow up the first playoff appearance in 26 years.

Estrada was acquired in a trade

Ah right you are, thank you. My memory is certainly not infallible.

• 1 month later...

Yuni B.

Sure, his salary of $900k was small in comparison to Gagne, but having to watch him play (to the tune of a -2ish WAR in 2013) was worse torture than waterboarding. I can give you 15,755,000 reasons whats wrong with baseball and they all lead back to Batter Nine You Sucky.....

Player A: Career Line

.257/.283/.388/.671

Player B: Career Line

.261/.285/.388/.673

Both players played all around the diamond throughout their careers.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yuni B.

Sure, his salary of $900k was small in comparison to Gagne, but having to watch him play (to the tune of a -2ish WAR in 2013) was worse torture than waterboarding. I can give you 15,755,000 reasons whats wrong with baseball and they all lead back to Batter Nine You Sucky.....

Yuni B wasn't a FA signing though. He came here in the Greinke deal as a necessary evil because of trading Escobar.

EDIT: You're probably referring to when we brought him back in 2013, my bad!

Player A: Career Line

.257/.283/.388/.671

Player B: Career Line

.261/.285/.388/.673

Both players played all around the diamond throughout their careers.

Since no one wanted to play and I am too impatient to wait...

Player A is Hernan Perez and Player B is Yuni B.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If Perez played defense as bad as Yuni he wouldn't be on the team. He plays solid defense at 2B, 3B, LR, RF.

Also those stats are deceiving because Perez has played much better here than Detroit and Yuni B played much worse in Milwaukee. Updated for Brewers plaY:

Perez: Brewers Line

.266/.292/.409/.701

Yuni B: Brewers Line

.235/.258/.371/.628

Archived