Brewer Fanatic

Brewers worst Free Agent signing of this past decade

patrickgpe

Bleacher Report has it as Gagne for the brewers. I have to disagree, while it is easy to say Soup, Garza, I have to say David Riske. I looked up his numbers just to be certain and the 3 year deal is far worse than the 1 year deal that Gagne signed with the team.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2750124-every-mlb-teams-biggest-free-agency-fail-of-the-past-decade

edited title, because we're not talking about free agents that sing. And it bugged me. Bah humbug to you, too

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Braden Looper comes to mind, but at least it was just a one year deal. Still $4.75 million in 2009 for a guy who was one win worse than a replacement player and gave up 39 HR's?

He was a 14 game winner that motivated the offense every time he went out!!

I never got the Gagne hate. Yeah, it was for $10MM but a one season investment in a player won't sink anyone. Soup was obviously terrible and the Riske contract was really bad too.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Matt Garza's signing might be examined. 4 years $50 million for a pitcher whose WAR over the course of those 4 years was -0.8 and whose ERA was 4.65 and ERA+ was 87 over those 4 years? That is worse than a Replacement Level AAAA pitcher type production, for $50 Million Dollars!?
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

As I hear people lamenting that we aren't chasing the market to sign a 2nd tier reliever this offseason, I've thought of the Riske signing and that has calmed me down and made me glad that Stearns has discipline.

But the Hammonds signing pretty much single-handedly cost Taylor his job, so that has to go to the top of the list.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Wasn't Jeffrey Hammonds from the rockies inflated numbers era an all time suck?

I don't know how the discussion can get any further than Hammonds. It is him, hands down.

Nah, it was worth watching him round the bases with one flap down a couple times in between a billion strikeouts.

Logically it may not have been Suppan, but emotionally for me, it's him no question. It was torture watching him throw 85 mph meatballs that didn't move at all, and at the time, he was making quite a bit of money (I believe he was the highest contract given to a FA by the Brewers at the time of the signing?)

"Soup pitched great!"

It's Garza. He was a terrible player and probably terrible in the clubhouse. $50,000,000. Not sure how it could be anyone else.

No, it was said many times that he was a leader in the clubhouse especially with the young guys last year and was one of the biggest pranksters/practical jokers in all of MLB. He did a lot to keep a loose clubhouse. Whenever they interviewed guys on TV in the dugout and you saw sunflower seeds, Double Bubble, etc., being tossed on them, it was Garza.

Archived