Brewer Fanatic

Is Woodruff now a viable trade chip?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Woodruff is my favorite Brewers Pitching prospect since Yovani. I didnt really know on Peralta when he emerged, and in Nelson I liked but believed he'd be too wild to reach a good #3.

Certainly other teams hold Woodruff in high regard in a trade. He just happens to get lost on value with higher ceiling options of Brinson/Hader/Ortiz.

Woodruff is going to be an innings eating mid 3ERA #3 starter. The type like Lance Lynn results. Thats a lot of 3WAR value seasons. It's for that reason I didn't and dont want to see him actually traded.

A mid 3 ERA start as a #3? A mid 3 ERA starter is an ace. The way people still treat pitchers like this is 1986 is amazing.

Mid 3's is Jimmy Nelson. Is he an ace?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Woodruff is my favorite Brewers Pitching prospect since Yovani. I didnt really know on Peralta when he emerged, and in Nelson I liked but believed he'd be too wild to reach a good #3.

Certainly other teams hold Woodruff in high regard in a trade. He just happens to get lost on value with higher ceiling options of Brinson/Hader/Ortiz.

Woodruff is going to be an innings eating mid 3ERA #3 starter. The type like Lance Lynn results. Thats a lot of 3WAR value seasons. It's for that reason I didn't and dont want to see him actually traded.

A mid 3 ERA start as a #3? A mid 3 ERA starter is an ace. The way people still treat pitchers like this is 1986 is amazing.

Mid 3's is Jimmy Nelson. Is he an ace?

He wad last year yes, have to do it consistently to be an ace.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Ace of our team. So yeah.

So what's an ace? Just the best pitcher on any given team?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Ace of our team. So yeah.

So what's an ace? Just the best pitcher on any given team?

Sure. No matter where you go with this argument, people will just say you’re wrong. Really no sense arguing it. You’ll have a group that says there’s only like five aces in the league. A group that says your teams go to guy, and a group that doesn’t acknowledge really anyone, no matter what stat line they produce, they just can’t be an ace because of their name. So I guess, which one do you fit in? Because Jimmy was an ace last year.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

As usual most of you missed my point which was the addition of two starting pitcher value FA opens the door for discussion of using Woodruff in a deal.

Nobody missed your point, responses were directly related to your post, which was largely a Woodruff for Odorizzi deal. You can't bring that up and expect people not to respond to it.

This isn't quite "counsell is gonna get fired if we miss the playoffs" territory, but it's close. That's about all I've got for this thread.

What???

Sometime in September, Briggs made a comment along those lines. I'd say the idea of trading Woodruff now is about as ridiculous as that comment from September.

As usual most of you missed my point which was the addition of two starting pitcher value FA opens the door for discussion of using Woodruff in a deal.

Not Woodruff, but the signings of Chacin and Gallardo absolutely open the door for discussion of including other younger pitchers potentially facing 40-man issues this next year for trades. Think Jungmann, Lopez, Diplan, Peralta. None of these arms would headline a deal, but they'd have value if included with other prospects in exchange for MLB talent.

With 5 catchers and seemingly alot of questionable relievers and veteran prospects appearing to have marginal ceilings currently on the 40 man, I expect a ton of roster churn between now and opening day.

Lol CCwon 86 games with a team expected to win in the mid to high 60s.... also was close to winning manager of the year..... not sure a manger in MLB more safe. No pressure to win now, like Ned, his job right now is to develop these guys & get them in the door of real contenders. In 2020, they choke, it will be different situation.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Hold Woodruff, see what he has to offer. This year I don’t think anyone in front office is thinking WS or bust. Off-season has shown so far that they are sticking to the plan to develop from within when possible. Let him roll.

Woodruff is a #4 starter at best. He got off the hook numerous times. Good pitchers don't get off the hook, the seldom get on the hook. Like Hader, his innings will be limited.

Reminder, Hader and Woodruff at age 23/24 are not finished products. They are young enough that they can still improve their command and their stuff. And Woodruff tossed nearly 160 innings in 2016, his innings might be limited to around 200...which I imagine won't be much of a limitation. It would be helpful to be a bit open-minded about what these guys could do beyond 2018.

Woodruff is a #4 starter at best. He got off the hook numerous times. Good pitchers don't get off the hook, the seldom get on the hook. Like Hader, his innings will be limited.

A midseason rookie coming off injury and you're condemning him a #4 on that sample size?

He has a season high of 158IP, which I'd venture can be turned in to 183-188IP before the shut-down. Thats pretty close to a full season and if he reached that, he's had a successful '18. Davies lead the team at 191IP in 33 starts. You have to take the expectation that this isn't a playoff team still- and when you're about to shut Woodruff down guys like Ortiz, Burnes or Ponce can get some September starts. Though Ortiz is only maxed at 94IP in his minor career so he should be out by then...which makes one wonder on if making a trade he'd have to be the one offered the most due to his 2 seasons away from really implementing in to the Rotation full time.

Ha setting a bar pretty low on a guy based on extremely small rookie sample. Never knew a rookies first taste in majors seals him for life.... Think he profiles ceiling of Nelson. Please note that at 25 in first full season Nelson was 2-9 with a 4.97 ERA with 1.4 WHIP... now people are considering him our ACE. Be interested as to how it is possible for him to develop & grow from a few rough times in his first 2 1/2 to where he was last year? Surely his early performance proved he is nothing more than a #4...

I don’t think he is an ace in the making but could project as 2-3, steady guy. Same as I had thought Jimmy would be.

As far as I am concerned, if I am trading Woodruff, it had better be as part of a package that brings us back a real special player. Like if the Mets were willing to listen on deGrom, I would have to believe Woodruff would be one of the players we would have to send back. That kind of player. I ABSOLUTELY would be willing to trade Woodruff for deGrom. But who knows if the Mets would even take offers for him, let alone trade him.

For a mid rotation type of pitcher, though? I would be hard pressed to move him even if he was the only player we would have to deal away.

Archived