Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Jhoulys Chacin

Oldcity
Brew4U: Yeah did the math too. 280 innings between garza peralta guerra espino milone. War -3.2. Chacin averages 3 war per 180 ip.

So to be precise...er... 6 wins.

Right. If we just had this guy a season ago, we'd be hanging another Wild Card banner to start the season. lol!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His signing doesn't hurt us at all but he won't move the needle if the goal is the playoffs.

Last season the Brewers got starts from:

Matt Garza, Junior Guerra, Paolo Espino, Tommy Milone, Brandon Woodruff, Wily Peralta.

These are guys I would consider our "5th" starter a season ago when you leave Nelson, Anderson, Davies and Suter in the top four spots.

The combined stats of these guys is the following:

Starts: 57 (over a third of the games, these turds were taking the ball for us. Gross)

Record: 15-20

ERA: 5.64

Now... Do we not think a guy like Chacin could move the needle and have gotten us another win last season that we needed to make the post season?

The more guys we sign like Chacin, possibly Gallardo, and whoever else comes next means we hopefully won't have starts like guys I listed above. And yes, I realize I included Woodruff in there but he just wasn't that good last season. Hit the wall most would say.

Agree with everything above except your final point on Woodruff.

Prior to his final start where he was donkey slapped he was posting a 1.23 whip, 2.9 BB9, 8.2 H9, 7.1 K9, 3.76 ERA through first 7 starts

His signing doesn't hurt us at all but he won't move the needle if the goal is the playoffs.

Matt Garza, Junior Guerra, Paolo Espino, Tommy Milone, Brandon Woodruff, Wily Peralta.

These are guys I would consider our "5th" starter a season ago when you leave Nelson, Anderson, Davies and Suter in the top four spots.

Starts: 57 (over a third of the games, these turds were taking the ball for us. Gross)

Now... Do we not think a guy like Chacin could move the needle and have gotten us another win last season that we needed to make the post season?

The more guys we sign like Chacin, possibly Gallardo, and whoever else comes next means we hopefully won't have starts like guys I listed above. And yes, I realize I included Woodruff in there but he just wasn't that good last season. Hit the wall most would say.

Prior to his final start where he was donkey slapped he was posting a 1.23 whip, 2.9 BB9, 8.2 H9, 7.1 K9, 3.76 ERA through first 7 starts

I stand corrected. Good find. Well that bolds even better for this upcoming season if we are looking at the following:

1. Anderson

2. Davies

3. Chacin

4. Suter

5. Woodruff

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brew4U: Yeah did the math too. 280 innings between garza peralta guerra espino milone. War -3.2. Chacin averages 3 war per 180 ip.

That war came from Petco. No one thinks he is a 3 war pitcher away from there.

He is a solid 5th starter. However he is currently our replacement for Nelson. Now do the math.

exclude April and he pitched 146 innings with a 3.44 ERA with a slash line of .228/.318/.679, 126 K and 60 BB. Those are decent numbers.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

He is a solid 5th starter. However he is currently our replacement for Nelson. Now do the math.

WAR factors in park.

No i said he averages 3 war per 180 ip. Not averaged. Last year his home road splits were a crazy dusaster and he picked up his 2.8 war due to the home park. But his career is 1023 ip with about 18 war. 170 ip per 3 war. And 1 year of that was petco. A big bunch was colorado.

exclude April and he pitched 146 innings with a 3.44 ERA with a slash line of .228/.318/.679, 126 K and 60 BB. Those are decent numbers.

And his early season funk doesn't look like a 1 year thing from the look through I did on his games logs. April Chacin and Davies could be ugly... but if those 2 link up their mid season groove it could be a fun stretch.

We needed at least one starter. I never liked the thought of signing Darvish or Arrieta for what they'll get, and trading for someone like Archer would take a big bite out of the farm Stearns and Melvin spent the last few seasons transforming from awful to pretty good.

I thought that if we were going to get a veteran on a short-term deal it would be a total reclamation project, and even that would cost us around $7-8M. Don't expect Chacin to be an ace, but he is better than I expected if we went this route. He should be a fairly solid guy to put behind Anderson and Daives in the rotation, and gives us three (hopefully four with Woodruff) guys we can pencil in every five days without gritting our teeth hoping it's not a complete disaster.

Add in that he is about to turn 30, so we get him for his age 30 and 31 seasons, not going deep into his "decline years," and I don't see any reason at all to complain about this signing. I don't have any idea how the rest of the guys will play, but if they perform like they did last year, then Chacin could certainly "move the needle" enough to get us that extra win to get us into the playoffs.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

To be fair 3 of his last 4 were kinda rough.

5ip 6er, 7ip 3er, 5ip 4 er... 2.1 ip 6er.

First 4 starts 1.52 era in 23.2 ip

Last 4 19er in 19.1 ip... we know the era on that :-)

Even the 3 before the early bounce were 17 ip and 13 er. 6.88era.

And this is why it was necessary to sign another "proven" guy like Chacin.

I like Woodruff, and think that he should be a lock for the 2018 rotation. I also think Hader should be given a shot. I love prospects, but that is plenty of "unproven" for a rotation. We needed some "proven," and Chacin gives us that.

At some point in the season, guys like Wilkerson and Burns will get called up. By 2019, this year's rookies will have a lot more experience and we'll be able to make decisions for next year with a lot more information than we have now. But we really needed to get someone else in there, we couldn't go into the season with Anderson and Davies being the only guys with any kind of a track record in the rotation.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

And this is why it was necessary to sign another "proven" guy like Chacin.

I like Woodruff, and think that he should be a lock for the 2018 rotation. I also think Hader should be given a shot. I love prospects, but that is plenty of "unproven" for a rotation. We needed some "proven," and Chacin gives us that.

At some point in the season, guys like Wilkerson and Burns will get called up. By 2019, this year's rookies will have a lot more experience and we'll be able to make decisions for next year with a lot more information than we have now. But we really needed to get someone else in there, we couldn't go into the season with Anderson and Davies being the only guys with any kind of a track record in the rotation.

Chacin averaged near 6 innings per start from June forward. Looking at game logs, he was often pulled with a pitch count in the low 90s and even upper 80s...which tells me he was pulled for offense and could have gone deeper. From June forward, the most runs he allowed in a game was 5 and he did that once. 4 runs twice, the rest 3 or less. Stability, consistency, eat innings and keep us in the game...it's what many including myself have been clamoring for in this 5th rotation spot considering we will likely give 2 rotation spots to young starters to open the season. 2/16 is less years, AAV, and much lower percentage of our likely max payroll than the Garza/Suppan deals of the past. Also, we are getting age 30 and 31 season from Chacin. Not quite peak seasons, but he's not THAT old and doesn't have too much wear on his arm. I like the deal, I wish it was one year but we probably can move the contract next year if he pitches decent and prospects are banging down the door.

It appears to be slightly frontloaded. $1.5M signing bonus with 8 in 2018 and 6 in 2019.

Which makes this a better deal IMO. Such a tradeable contract if he pitches to expectation and we are not in contention. If we are in contention it likely means he is performing and then it is a great signing.

It appears to be slightly frontloaded. $1.5M signing bonus with 8 in 2018 and 6 in 2019.

Liking this more and more. If he's a bust as a starter, he's a $6 million reliever to get righties out next year.

Right, it's an overpay for a reliever if he doesn't work out...but not like paying Garza 12 million to be a mop up man for half the year. It's not a terrible contract in that case. Could be a gem if he can do 5-7 innings of 2-3 runs per outing in the majority of his starts again.

Which makes this a better deal IMO. Such a tradeable contract if he pitches to expectation and we are not in contention. If we are in contention it likely means he is performing and then it is a great signing.

Chacin probably isn't the type of guy that would be sought after at the deadline. But he very easily could be a trade candidate next offseason if prospects pan out. One year of a cost controlled starter on a contract year...

Chacin probably isn't the type of guy that would be sought after at the deadline. But he very easily could be a trade candidate next offseason if prospects pan out. One year of a cost controlled starter on a contract year...

Depends on you definition of sought and who is in the mix. If he's having a Morton like season and there's a team in the wc hunt that wants to go in... but not all in. He's in the range of reasonable demand that could bolster a team yet not drain the farm. I could see a buyer in the middle ignoring the Darvish types and Q Gray types and tossing 1 good prospect for a quality arm who is controlled 1 more year at a reasonable 6 mil. Someone with a shallow farm and a couple wants.

Just met Stearns at lunch today at a Potbelly's on the eastside. He assured me Chacin will be fine, and I did bring up the home and away splits :)

Didn't ask about Archer, I was too nervous, super nice guy and he took some pictures with us.

Go Brew

Ha! If i was within ear shot and I heard you bring up h/r splits to him I'd have been mortified for you. That's awesome!

Archived