Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Jhoulys Chacin

Oldcity
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, that sounds like good value. Considering what we paid Garza over the last couple of years.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Well, that sounds like good value. Considering what we paid Garza over the last couple of years.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I think there’s a good chance he’ll outproduce Suppan and Garza, for a lot less money. We’ve got good arms coming. This is a great value pickup to help a bit now while the kids come up.

What are the chances of his severely underperforming, in regards to his contract compared to someone like Arrieta or Yu?

"There's more people to ignore in New York or in Boston than there are in Milwaukee, but I would still ignore them, probably."

-Zack Greinke

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Brewers are close to an agreement with free agent right-hander Jhoulys Chacin.

Chacin posted good overall numbers with the Padres in 2017, but his home-road splits don't paint a pretty picture for what the Brewers might be getting here. The 29-year-old right-hander had a 1.79 ERA in 16 starts at Petco Park and a 6.53 ERA in 16 starts everywhere else. Milwaukee's Miller Park is not so kind on pitchers. Jerry Crasnick of ESPN says Chacin's deal with the Brewers will be for two years and carry a total guarantee of around $16 million.

Related: Brewers

Source: Ken Rosenthal on TwitterDec 20 - 12:51 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Brewers are close to an agreement with free agent right-hander Jhoulys Chacin.

Chacin posted good overall numbers with the Padres in 2017, but his home-road splits don't paint a pretty picture for what the Brewers might be getting here. The 29-year-old right-hander had a 1.79 ERA in 16 starts at Petco Park and a 6.53 ERA in 16 starts everywhere else. Milwaukee's Miller Park is not so kind on pitchers. Jerry Crasnick of ESPN says Chacin's deal with the Brewers will be for two years and carry a total guarantee of around $16 million.

Related: Brewers

Source: Ken Rosenthal on TwitterDec 20 - 12:51 PM

Part of me smiles when I see things like this. I imagine David Stearns reading this tweet from KR and shouting "Holy S$^%! Did anyone here look at his road splits before we signed him?!" I have no idea if this thing will or won't work out ... but I am very aware I know nothing compared to these front office guys and fans reacting or overreacting to certain stats is always funny to me.

I'm fine with a two-year deal at that price. I'd prefer if they'd give Hader a shot at the fifth starter job until Nelson gets back just to see if he has a future there, but they could do that even with this deal. Also, if he is even serviceable, it is a contract that they should be able to trade after next season if they want to make room for Hader, Burnes or Ortiz.

Took to the 36th post in the thread before Briggs pointed out he had a .353 BABIP on the road. People scream luck around here if someone's BABIP is more than .010 off of .300.

That being said, his home BABIP was .204. His overall was .275, so I think the FIP of 4.26/xFIP of 4.54 seems pretty accurate and about what to expect. If that happens, with the reported contract (2/$16M) he could bring back a good prospect or two at the deadline.

That being said, I think that Wilkerson could give them similar production for league minimum.

As usual, look at bigger samples:

Career Road ERA: 4.27

Career Home ERA: 3.65 (which is, in itself, remarkable considering most of that was in Colorado)

At 2 years $16 million? A fantastic signing, in my opinion. As I said previously, he should be a very solid #4 or #5 starter. The Brewers needed more starting pitching depth, and got it...

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

That being said, I think that Wilkerson could give them similar production for league minimum.

I'm hesitant to anoint Wilkerson with that value. Stearns has a better sense, of course, but he seems like a guy that just is capped out with AAA stuff. I am not certain of that, but the fact that he still hasn't been handed a role in the majors does give me that sense.

Also, at a certain point, if you've got a $55 or even $80 million payroll and the owner is willing to pay more, getting a 5 xFIP for the league minimum might not be preferable over getting a 4.4 xFIP with a bit of upside for 2 years/$16 million. I'm not saying spend just to spend, but at a certain point you have to pay a bit more to get more given that you have a finite allotment of roster spots.

I'm old and still can not get over how normalized it has become for a mediocre career 4.00 ERA pitcher to get $8mil/year. No one is shocked by these numbers any more. We don't have a AAA pitcher that could put up slightly worse numbers for a lot less?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I'd rather have a proven starting pitcher for 2 years / $16M than an unproven relief pitcher for the same price.

I've mentioned in other threads that everyone paying up for 2nd tier relievers means some positions will have to be undervalued. I think Stearns did well here. Now lets see how that 2nd base market is playing out.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If the deal is anything less than $40MM then it's a great value pickup.

:laughing

I'd rather have Chacin over the next few years than Tyler Chatwood, who got a $38MM commitment.

That doesn't make your post any less insane.

I'm old and still can not get over how normalized it has become for a mediocre career 4.00 ERA pitcher to get $8mil/year. No one is shocked by these numbers any more. We don't have a AAA pitcher that could put up slightly worse numbers for a lot less?

Take away Zack Greinke's three seasons pitching in the Dodger's pitcher's paradise and he's a career 3.75 ERA guy. And look how much money he got!!!

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Just so you are aware, only 29 guys (who threw the qualified number of innings) last season toss under a 4.00 ERA. Chacin was one of them. (30th in WHIP, 17th in AVG, 40th in K's, T13th in GS)

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

We don't have a AAA pitcher that could put up slightly worse numbers for a lot less?

As I said in a previous post, not quite yet, no. This is a 2 year deal, and it could be less than a one year deal if they move him at the trade deadline. If they were 100% sold that Wooruff, Hader, and Burnes were ready to start from day one, Chacin wouldn't be necessary.

When we signed our stream of 30-something "meh" pitchers under Melvin, they were usually 3-4 years in the $10-13M / year range. That's the market, so that makes this a discount to the market.

I am glad we have Wilkerson at AAA, and am sure that he and others will get their opportunity to play for the Brewers in 2018. Every team needs quality depth, and having some solid young options as "injury insurance" could be what gets us into the playoffs vs missing the playoffs by a game or two.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Wily Peralta outperforms Chacin in a lot of categories since Peralta's major league debut. This signing sucks.

Your missing a surprising amount of detail here as to how he has outperformed him. Go on......

Chacin has pitched over 60% of his career with the Rockies and still has a ERA under 4 and over a half a run better. I mean we are talking about a career WAR of 5.2 and peak of 1.8 vsersus 13.2 and 3.9.

Archived