Brewer Fanatic

Longoria to the Giants

KeithStone53151

This is terrible for the Rays. The Giants are going to have to win this year and next though because that team is going to get really old, really fast.

Don't discount the contract for Longoria. 4/72 is a lot for the Rays, that's probably more of a burden for them than brauns contract is for us. They get likely a 2nd division regular and 2 lottery ticket arms, while taking a bad contract that is up after this year. Longoria is also 32. This move to me signals a re-tool, not rebuild. They have the farm and arms in the farm that they can probably get back to contending in a year or two, but this year has a bleak look to it.

I also read that Span is headed to Tampa in the deal. This could open the door for Broxton to SF.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tampa just cut Span and he went back to SF for a very small contract. Could be wrong about that. I don't think Broxton is an everyday CF so they would need a platoon-mate (like Span).

Not sure what the giants are doing. They are not close to contending. Longoria doesn't put them even close to LA and they gave away their best prospect in doing so when they have a weak farm system. He also isn't very good anymore.

I don't think Arroyo is that special, but even so, they've got Bumgarner/Posey/Cueto/others all aging and/or on short deals. Similar to the Angels with Trout, push all of your chips on to the table and just be ready to field a minor league team on your major league roster from 2020-2022 as you go into nuclear rebuild a la the Tigers right now.

Not sure what the giants are doing. They are not close to contending. Longoria doesn't put them even close to LA and they gave away their best prospect in doing so when they have a weak farm system. He also isn't very good anymore.

There's a good argument in favour of rebuilding, but I think they're reluctant to lose Bumgarner and Posey; and who knows if they'll still be productive players when the Giants are next competitive.

There's also an argument to be made that the Giants aren't as bad as their win total in 2017. Pretty much everyone underperformed, and regression to the mean alone should see some improvement. Add to that Longoria and any kind of outfield improvements, and they're gonna be quite a lot better in 2018. But, even with that, they should look at the rest of the division... they're not going to compete with the Dodgers. There'll be fierce competition for the wild cards. So they'll improve, but to what end?

This is terrible for the Rays.

Longoria has been declining for a few years already. He hit a bunch of Hr's in 2016 otherwise his OBP and AVG were right in line with his decline and his numbers are only going to get worse playing in SF. Even getting Span back the Rays win the trade since they only have to pay him for 2018 as opposed to paying Longoria for 5 more years. The offseason of the salary dump continues.

I really hope we can give them Broxton for a couple more good prospect pieces or one really good one. That would be ideal considering what we gave up to get this guy.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think most MLB GMs see Keon Broxton as a RH platoon bat. He's affordable and could maybe be replacement level the full role if it was given to him, but I don't see GMs giving a ton back for him.

I'm also not sure he's built for that park, offensively. As a HR-dependent hitter, it's a little bit easier to hit it out to left field there than it would be if he was a lefty hitting it to RF, but a low-contact hitter is the last thing I want in San Francisco.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think most MLB GMs see Keon Broxton as a RH platoon bat. He's affordable and could maybe be replacement level the full role if it was given to him, but I don't see GMs giving a ton back for him.

I'd be ok getting 2 or 3 high ceiling, young, pitchers for him. Kinda like the Lind trade.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

SF had by far the worst performance of any team at 3B last year; -3.5 Wins Above Average according to B-R.com

Tampa was +0.8, so Longoria could represent a 4-win improvement. Add in a full year of MadBum (+3 wins), Cueto returning to 2016 form (+4 wins), replacing Matt Moore with Chris Stratton (+2/3 wins), and replacing Span (-1 WAR) with Keon Broxton (+2 WAR), and you could have a 17 win improvement. That being said, that only gets to 81 wins.

But if they can replace Matt Cain with a premium FA SP (Lynn, Darvish, Arrietta, etc.), that could push their wins to mid-upper 80's, and we've seen what SF can do when they get in the playoffs and can shorten the rotation to MadBum, Cueto, Samardjzia, and said FA SP.

I'd be ok getting 2 or 3 high ceiling, young, pitchers for him. Kinda like the Lind trade.

That seems reasonable. And I'd make that deal.

I'm not a big fan of Longoria because I think too much of his value comes from the defensive aspect and IMO that can be over-rated when talking about the corner positions. Nonetheless, Longoria is still a pretty solid offensive player, is extremely durable, and I'm guessing he'll hold at least decent value through the next few seasons because I don't think there will be a big defensive falloff even though there have been a couple negative DRS numbers over the last few years. Kind of like an Ian Kinsler in that regard. I really think the Rays should have gotten a better return for him. Span is a negative value player and if the Rays end up sending something like another 10-12 million to San Francisco then the money they are shipping to a big market seems to offset all the prospect value they get back in the deal. It's hard to believe the Rays couldn't find something better than this. They must really like Arroyo and think he can step in an play third base right away.

Really surprised the Angels didn't try to swing this deal. I think Longoria would be a much better fit for them than Cozart.

The difference being Braun is *much* more productive than Longoria, who's a middle of the pack starting 3b at this point making 17.2M annually over the next 5yrs whereas Braun is making 18.6M over the next 3 posting 111, 135, 131 OPS+ the past 3yrs (111 season battling injuries - compare that to everyone's boy Yelich at 115 this year while healthy). Braun's contract isn't preventing the Brewers from doing squat - if they want someone they can go get them - and do so quite easily

3B is more valuable than LF. Longoria provides a good bat at a more premium position. Would you trade Braun straight up for Longoria? I sure would! Move Shaw to 1B and trade Thames? Absolutely.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived