Brewer Fanatic

Dbacks

Madhawk23

Anyone else see this trade idea posted over at Reviewing the Brew:

https://reviewingthebrew.com/2017/12/16/milwaukee-brewers-perfect-trade-dbacks/

I doubt there is any way that the Dbacks part ways with Robbie Ray, but I'm curious to get everyone's thoughts on the 2nd option? Personally, I'd be all for that deal from the Brewers perspective, which has me wondering if I'm wearing my Brewer goggles on this one and if the Dbacks would shoot that down in a heartbeat?

Completely ridiculous in my opinion.

The D-Backs are a contending team. Why would they deplete their starting pitching for an Outfielder? And then the article goes a step further and suggest two OF's for two controllable talented MLB starting pitchers...

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

This writer has Brewer goggles on.

The trades are not incredibly far off in value. I think the D-Backs hang up the phone on both offers.

The issue here is that the D-Backs are at the back end of Goldschmidt's contract so I think they want to win and win now.

I just don't understand the point for the D-Backs here, though.

If they're trading Ray or Walker it's for single-A prospects as they kick off a lengthy rebuild. If they trade Ray for Domingo Santana, they're likely back to the 2016 D-Backs that lose every game 12-10. They strengthened their pitching and I doubt they rob Peter to pay Paul on a trade like this. They're better off trying to bring in Jose Bautista for 1 year or something like that.

The only way this could happen would be if the Brewers also agreed to take on Tomas and his remaining contract ($46 million over 3 years) and added a prospect to the deal. D-Backs have huge financial constraints and unloading Tomas would be a tremendous incentive. If he's healthy Brewers would hope he returns to his 2016 form which was pretty similar to Santana's 2017.

They could move Archie Bradley back into the rotation. They also could give former Brewer farmhand Anthony Banda a long look.

Ray had a great 2017, but was 14-31 with a 4.67 ERA before that. He's not without risk.

I'd actually like to see the Brewers take on Greinke's contract. He'd improve the pitching staff. It is Mark A's money, I don't care... 4 years of $35 million per, no big deal...

Kidding

Pass on Greinke, he's on the decline for sure. Arrietta is better and cheaper. IMHO

that website also recommended a Drury for Barnes trade. I would personally do that

https://reviewingthebrew.com/2017/12/17/milwaukee-brewers-trade-drury/?utm_source=bleacherreport&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=bleacherreport

although I do not think 2nd base is a priority and would rather focus on improving the pen and rotation.

• 4 weeks later...

From MLBTR yesterday on remaining trade candidates:

"Zach Greinke & Patrick Corbin, Diamondbacks: Moving Greinke's contract would be a challenge but still simmering chatter on Arizona's interest in J.D. Martinez suggests it is still plausible. Meanwhile, we've heard Corbin came up as another player who could be moved to open payroll space."

The latter screams opportunity. Corbin would be a one year rental at a fairly steep price of $15 million. He'd give the Brewers that mid rotation lefty starter and allow them to use Hader for another season out of the pen. Since he's a rental and a salary dump, the cost shouldn't be prohibitive in terms of players back to them. They'd have to get them to take at least some salary too.

From MLBTR yesterday on remaining trade candidates:

"Zach Greinke & Patrick Corbin, Diamondbacks: Moving Greinke's contract would be a challenge but still simmering chatter on Arizona's interest in J.D. Martinez suggests it is still plausible. Meanwhile, we've heard Corbin came up as another player who could be moved to open payroll space."

The latter screams opportunity. Corbin would be a one year rental at a fairly steep price of $15 million. He'd give the Brewers that mid rotation lefty starter and allow them to use Hader for another season out of the pen. Since he's a rental and a salary dump, the cost shouldn't be prohibitive in terms of players back to them. They'd have to get them to take at least some salary too.

With Jimmy Nelson so far ahead of schedule, it might make more sense to make do with an internal option for a handful of starts. If he actually starts throwing this weekend as has been reported, I wouldn't completely rule out him pitching in April...with a May or June return completely reasonable.

Unless if I'm seeing it wrong, it appears that Corbin has 2 years left at 15 mil. So, 7.5 million a year. The problem is - he really hasn't been that good the past two seasons. If we knew we were getting the '13 and '15 Patrick Corbin, then I'd probably be more interested. But, not sure if I'd be willing to give up a couple of our prospects for the '16 and '17 version.

Unless if I'm seeing it wrong, it appears that Corbin has 2 years left at 15 mil. So, 7.5 million a year. The problem is - he really hasn't been that good the past two seasons. If we knew we were getting the '13 and '15 Patrick Corbin, then I'd probably be more interested. But, not sure if I'd be willing to give up a couple of our prospects for the '16 and '17 version.

It's $7.5 million for 2018, free agent in 2019. I'm not sure where $15 million came from.

Obviously, depending on the price, I like this idea. A little insurance in case Nelson takes longer than expected and allows the young arms one more year to work on things. I think we would all love to have Archer instead, but if Corbin doesn't cost much, this is a nice bridge. Might even be able to flip him if we take a step back or some of the young guys step up.

Anderson

Davies

Corbin

Chacin

Woodruff/Guerra

...with Suter, Gallardo, Barnes, Lopez waiting for a call.

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

OK - I see that now. You are right.

If that's the case - why would the Dbacks be looking to get rid of this guy's salary? Doesn't seem that crazy of a number, and you only have him for one more year. And, I doubt any team is going to give you much for him in a trade if he's just a one year rental - and a mediocre one at that.

OK - I see that now. You are right.

If that's the case - why would the Dbacks be looking to get rid of this guy's salary? Doesn't seem that crazy of a number, and you only have him for one more year. And, I doubt any team is going to give you much for him in a trade if he's just a one year rental - and a mediocre one at that.

I tend to agree, I'm not sure why the Dbacks would want to move him. For arguments sake, they have Greinke/Ray/Walker/Corbin/Godley as their starting 5 currently with Banda pretty much ready to go. I know Banda had a rough 2017 but he's likely to improve in 2018, not a terrible option for a 5th starter. They also have Taylor Clarke pretty much ready to go, but will probably open in AAA as first man up. They also technically have the option to move Bradley back to the rotation. Most likely if they did move Corbin, they would slot Banda into the 5th spot with Clarke as a backup plan.

So technically they can do it and have reasonable options to fill in. Going from Corbin to Banda is risky for a contending team though, I personally would have no interest in moving Corbin unless I was filling another hole at the MLB level. I see a gaping hole in RF, but none of our outfielders match up well from a value standpoint. Broxton probably isn't enough(and is the least ideal fit) while Santana/Phillips/Brinson are worth more than 1 year of Corbin. If I was them, I might explore trying to package Corbin with others for Santana...but i don't see that as likely.

OK - since there isn't much else to talk about with the Brewers off season, let's fire up more discussion on what a bigger trade package could look like with the DBacks.

Let's say that they really are looking to part ways with Corbin and his 7.5M this year (again - have no idea why they would).

Brewers get Corbin (agree to pay all 7.5M), Jon Duplantier and Drew Ellis

Dbacks get Domingo Santana

Would you consider this deal if you were Stearns? Is there any way the Dbacks would do a deal like this, or would they consider that too much to give up for a guy like Domingo? Corbin is just a back of the rotation rental guy, so I guess I'm not assigning a ton of value to him in this deal, but I'm guessing the Dbacks wouldn't view it that way.

Again - this is just for fun, as I doubt the likelihood is real high that a deal like this would happen. However, the Dbacks could be a good trading partner if they continue to have a big hole in their OF as we get closer to spring training.

I think most ideas regarding the DBacks needing more bats are a bit overblown. They'll probably just sign a cheap, one-trick-pony hitter on the free agent market, but they were doing fine even without JD Martinez last year. They can probably see how the year is going and trade for another rental bat for peanuts if not signing a cheap one.

This would be like people telling the Brewers they should trade away Chase Anderson or Davies (plus something) or a healthy Nelson for Jonathan Schoop.

Now, I will say that in your example that Corbin is a bit more expendable on the back end of the rotation, but I think that neither the Brewers nor the DBacks want to trade away pitching depth, unless it's a lucrative offer for the DBacks to get out of the end of Greinke's deal.

I think most ideas regarding the DBacks needing more bats are a bit overblown. They'll probably just sign a cheap, one-trick-pony hitter on the free agent market, but they were doing fine even without JD Martinez last year. They can probably see how the year is going and trade for another rental bat for peanuts if not signing a cheap one.

This would be like people telling the Brewers they should trade away Chase Anderson or Davies (plus something) or a healthy Nelson for Jonathan Schoop.

Now, I will say that in your example that Corbin is a bit more expendable on the back end of the rotation, but I think that neither the Brewers nor the DBacks want to trade away pitching depth, unless it's a lucrative offer for the DBacks to get out of the end of Greinke's deal.

Your Brewers example doesn't fit very well, but I tend to agree regarding Santana. Unless the Dbacks are in dire financial straits, I don't see why they can't sign someone to a 1 year deal that can play RF reasonably well and post a 750ish OPS. Maybe someone like Ichiro for $2-3 million? Maybe Jaso or Jason Werth? What I was implying is I wouldn't bother trading Corbin if I was them UNLESS I was filling a hole at the MLB level. The only hole I see is RF, they seem solid everywhere else. I'm sure Santana would interest them, but maybe not at the prospect cost.

Your Brewers example doesn't fit very well, but I tend to agree regarding Santana. Unless the Dbacks are in dire financial straits, I don't see why they can't sign someone to a 1 year deal that can play RF reasonably well and post a 750ish OPS. Maybe someone like Ichiro for $2-3 million? Maybe Jaso or Jason Werth? What I was implying is I wouldn't bother trading Corbin if I was them UNLESS I was filling a hole at the MLB level. The only hole I see is RF, they seem solid everywhere else. I'm sure Santana would interest them, but maybe not at the prospect cost.

Sorry, I kinda conflated my discussion about Corbin with the Santana for Ray suggestions from earlier, which stoked my Davies or Anderson for Schoop offer, which still isn’t perfect, but it’s better.

Corbin would cost less.

Archived