Brewer Fanatic

J.T. Realmuto

Eye Black

Banrhart's been around a 89-90 wRC+ the last couple years. No slouch, but JT would still be a big upgrade if he's coming in around a 120-125 wRC+. If you think getting out of Marlins Park will help him out (a la Yelich) he could climb even higher.

If they could get the deal done without Senzel included they could have a pretty interesting lineup next year with JT, Votto, Scooter, Peraza, Suarez, Winker, Senzel & Puig. Still no pitching to really speak of though.

If the Marlins are willing to take guys that are a little farther out two of Taylor Trammell, Hunter Greene & Jonathan India would probably get them the bulk of the way there.

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Banrhart's been around a 89-90 wRC+ the last couple years. No slouch, but JT would still be a big upgrade if he's coming in around a 120-125 wRC+. If you think getting out of Marlins Park will help him out (a la Yelich) he could climb even higher.

If they could get the deal done without Senzel included they could have a pretty interesting lineup next year with JT, Votto, Scooter, Peraza, Suarez, Winker, Senzel & Puig. Still no pitching to really speak of though.

If the Marlins are willing to take guys that are a little farther out two of Taylor Trammell, Hunter Greene & Jonathan India would probably get them the bulk of the way there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Barnhart is an excellent defender. While I know Realmuto is also a good defender, I think he would be a small step backward from Barnhart. Also with the additions of Kemp/Puig, I don't think it's as important for them to add a RH bat to protect their LH heavy lineup. If anything, those 2 outfielders make them very balanced.

I'm not trying to argue that Realmuto wouldn't be an upgrade. Barnhart is a lot better than Pina/Kratz, it isn't as significant of an upgrade compared to the upgrade we made. Primary point being that this move is a bit puzzling. I would think if anything, the Reds would use their chips to bring in one more arm with some team control. Basically meaning they should be looking hard at Kluber.

Those six clubs have been identified as the Braves, Dodgers, Astros, Padres, Rays, and Reds.

The Padres didn't learn anything from signing Hosmer? They're going to be in on Realmuto for 2 years? Do they really think that's their window. It's one thing to shred money, it's another to trade prospects from a pool they need to rebuild for 2 years of 78 wins instead of 74...

Those six clubs have been identified as the Braves, Dodgers, Astros, Padres, Rays, and Reds.

The Padres didn't learn anything from signing Hosmer? They're going to be in on Realmuto for 2 years? Do they really think that's their window. It's one thing to shred money, it's another to trade prospects from a pool they need to rebuild for 2 years of 78 wins instead of 74...

Heck I'd love if he went to the Padres or Rays. I just don't want to see him go to an NL contender or NL Central team during the Brewers' contention window.

For 2018 BPRo's catching metrics had Realmuto 54th (+0.4) & Barnhart 109th (-8.4) out of 117.

For 2017 it looks like they came in at Realmuto 13th (+9.1) & Barnhart 72nd (-0.9) of 111.

Barnhart has been better at blocking (+6.3 vs. +2.6) & throwing (+4.6 vs +1.1) over the last two years, but JT has a massive edge in framing (+4.9 vs. -19.7) so who is a better defender pretty much comes down to how much stock you want to put into framing numbers.

• 3 weeks later...

Man these writers are geniuses. List top 3 prospects "the Marlins could have interest in these guys, though the Reds would prefer not to trade them". I suspect Heyman has literally no idea who's being talked about in any potential trade...though the amount of smoke from multiple writers and that point we are at in the offseason, makes me think talks are progressing. I think I've seen writers say talks are progressing about the Dodgers, Padres, and Reds regarding Realmuto within the last week.

The Reds lineup is already scary. I like their pitching additions too. Roark, Gray and Wood are tested veterans. Yeah it's not a great rotation but if they add Realmuto, they are going to be on the positive side of a lot more slugfests than they have in recent years. Realmuto, Suarez, Votto, Kemp, Puig, Winker, Scooter, Peraza etc? Might be the best lineup in the NL.

I'd prefer they don't get Realmuto.

I don't think the Reds are a real playoff contender, but they could be ~.500 and there are some scenarios in which they do make the playoffs. Was nice to have at least one whipping boy in the division, but it looks like that wont be the case in 2019.

Sounds like Jonathan India might be one of the main pieces in a possible deal which comes as a bit of a surprise. Was on the Reds message boards when the Gray deal was in the works and most of the folks there were happy to give up Shed Long because they figure he's limited to 2B and that India would wind up being their second baseman once he got to the majors.

I wonder if Scooter wants to stay in Cincinnati? The Reds should have a bunch of money next off-season as they have Kemp, Puig, Wood and probably other contracts coming off the books. Realmuto makes good money but not huge money. Haven't looked at the Gray contract yet but I would assume that would be about 10 million for next year. They also dumped Homer Bailey's buyout on the Dodgers, which I think was something like 5.5 million. If the Reds can keep Scooter, then India would be a nice fit in a Realmuto deal. Rumor was that the Marlins wanted infielders, and India has some versatility where he could fit into different positions. The Reds still would have a ways to go to put together a good enough package for Realmuto, but India probably gets them about 60% of the way there.

This is the 2nd winter of protracted Realmuto trade speculations & reports. I can't wait for him to get traded just so it's finally over, no matter who the other team is -- although I really hope it's not the Reds for obvious reasons.

I don't think the Reds are a real playoff contender, but they could be ~.500 and there are some scenarios in which they do make the playoffs. Was nice to have at least one whipping boy in the division, but it looks like that wont be the case in 2019.

I think the Pirates are going to be pretty crummy in 2019...

I think the Pirates are going to be pretty crummy in 2019...

ehh, I like their pitching staff.

They're also pretty deep in decent position players. Outside of Marte no one is really all star caliber, but if a couple of those guys have good seasons I can see them being playoff contenders.

• 2 weeks later...
I've seen rumors of the Phillies jumping into the mix, with the Marlins wanting Sanchez. I think he might be the best prospect that the Marlins could realistically get, given the risk associated with him. Of teams that are in on both Harper and Realmuto, those teams know adding Realmuto increases their chances of getting Harper.

This seems like a done deal to me. And I wouldn't be surprised if a Harper signing was announced in the next handful of days.

If this happens, I'm happy its the Phillies and not the Reds. I know that Phillies team is going to be tough, though.

In the end, I'll just be happy when its over and Realmuto is on a new team. It has reached Chris Archer-level of speculative annoyance.

This seems like a done deal to me. And I wouldn't be surprised if a Harper signing was announced in the next handful of days.

If this happens, I'm happy its the Phillies and not the Reds. I know that Phillies team is going to be tough, though.

In the end, I'll just be happy when its over and Realmuto is on a new team. It has reached Chris Archer-level of speculative annoyance.

I have Realmuto on my dynasty fantasy baseball team, I was sorta kinda hoping for the Reds for that reason...but frankly getting him out of Miami will definitely help his production. The deal as reported is Sanchez + Alfaro but working on additional pieces. This will probably be a bit more than I expected, but Sanchez has a ton of risk with his upside so I can understand it a bit more. All depends what the 3rd piece is. I can't imagine it's Bohm or Haseley, I also think it would be weird if it was Moniak just because he was 1st overall pick.

Archived