Brewer Fanatic

J.T. Realmuto

Eye Black
  • Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Craig Mish of SiriusXM, the Braves and Marlins "have talked again" about a J.T. Realmuto trade.

Mish writes that the Braves "appear to be waiting [the] Marlins out" while adding that the Rays "remain possibility." There is also known to be some level of interest from the Dodgers, Padres, Astros, and Reds. Realmuto seems certain to be dealt before spring training gets underway, but it's hard to identify a frontrunner for his services at this point. Miami still wants a massive return for the 27-year-old catcher, who batted .277/.340/.484 with 21 home runs and 74 RBI over 125 games last season. He is under contractual control through 2020.

Source: Craig Mish on TwitterJan 8 - 2:47 PM

No mention of the Brewers.......He'll look nice in that Brewers uniform on opening day! :)

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

We really should just sign Grandal and be done with it.

I'm on that Grandal train now too...but would have rather the Brewers thrown a 2 year, 22 million dollar figure at Wilson Ramos and seen if the Mets would have been willing to match/top it.

I'd throw a 3 year, 39 million offer at Grandal and see how much further up we'd have to work from there. Probably would have to figure out a Chase Anderson trade to pay Grandal which I would be willing to do. I think 3 years, 45 million would be the absolute top figure that the Brewers could afford. Grandal isn't getting 60 million...would somewhere between 39 and 45 million be enough to make it happen? Would prefer to stay at 3 years, 42 million or under.

I'm on that Grandal train now too...but would have rather the Brewers thrown a 2 year, 22 million dollar figure at Wilson Ramos and seen if the Mets would have been willing to match/top it.

I'd throw a 3 year, 39 million offer at Grandal and see how much further up we'd have to work from there. Probably would have to figure out a Chase Anderson trade to pay Grandal which I would be willing to do. I think 3 years, 45 million would be the absolute top figure that the Brewers could afford. Grandal isn't getting 60 million...would somewhere between 39 and 45 million be enough to make it happen? Would prefer to stay at 3 years, 42 million or under.

Believe it or not our Catchers were about average last year.

If we have the flexibility to take on a 3/39 contract I would rather go with Jed Lowrie who can man 2B until Hiura is ready, platoon with Shaw at 3B, be a backup for Arcia if he sucks up all matter near him. He could also allow Shaw to slide over to 1B if Aguilar struggles. He has the versatility that we could almost use him as our zobrist... There's no guarantee Hiura will be ready this year or will be able to put up the same numbers as Lowrie could...

Would probably take either Corbin Burnes or Freddy Peralta as the MLB-ready headliner.

I'd pass as I think our current catchers are fine.

Umm...Not really fine

Sure they are. Good defense, average hit for catchers. Or at least acceptable hittimg.

Would probably take either Corbin Burnes or Freddy Peralta as the MLB-ready headliner.

I'd pass as I think our current catchers are fine.

Umm...Not really fine

Sure they are. Good defense, average hit for catchers. Or at least acceptable hittimg.

Acceptable hitting because unless you have a top 5 catcher, the whole position cant hit very well.

Hell, Pina was 13th in BA with a .252

Pina's BABIP has typically been 330 area with the Brewers (per half season) except the first half of 2018 he was 255 but still had a 7% BB rate and 18% K rate. He's typically hovering around an average MLB hitter, which translates into an *above average offensive player at his position*. Now factor in his great defense. Pina isn't the issue. The backup spot has been the issue.

The Brewers shouldn't be throwing 13M/yr at a catcher. I'm banking on Kratz/Nottingham teaming up as the backups this year.

Believe it or not our Catchers were about average last year.

If we have the flexibility to take on a 3/39 contract I would rather go with Jed Lowrie who can man 2B until Hiura is ready, platoon with Shaw at 3B, be a backup for Arcia if he sucks up all matter near him. He could also allow Shaw to slide over to 1B if Aguilar struggles. He has the versatility that we could almost use him as our zobrist... There's no guarantee Hiura will be ready this year or will be able to put up the same numbers as Lowrie could...

I have no confidence in Kratz matching the career year he had in 2018. Next year will be his age 39 season. In the most recent 450 plate appearances Kratz had prior to 2018 (spanning 2013-2017), Kratz had a miserable .193/.236/.338/.574 slash line and 57 OPS+. Great defense can only take a player so far. The Brewers were likely more than happy with Arcia's defensive contributions last year and he still found his way to the minors because he couldn't hit. I think the chances are high that the same thing could happen with Kratz.

Kratz broke into MLB as a 30 year old and totaled 649 plate appearances in his first 8 seasons. 81 plate appearances per year. The guy has proven to be a bottom of the barrel MLB player and even with a surprisingly good performance last year was only able to manage a .280 OBP, .634 OPS and 69 OPS+. Any slipping from there and he's good for about 80 plate appearances and the majority of the year in AAA IMO.

I might be more open to Kratz like the Red Sox were open to poor offensive catchers but I don't think the rest of the Brewer lineup matches what the Red Sox bring to the table. I like Hiura but as of now 2B is going to be a big question mark for the first six weeks and who knows what Arcia will do.

I do like Pina though.

I have no confidence in Kratz matching the career year he had in 2018. Next year will be his age 39 season. In the most recent 450 plate appearances Kratz had prior to 2018 (spanning 2013-2017), Kratz had a miserable .193/.236/.338/.574 slash line and 57 OPS+. Great defense can only take a player so far. The Brewers were likely more than happy with Arcia's defensive contributions last year and he still found his way to the minors because he couldn't hit. I think the chances are high that the same thing could happen with Kratz.

Kratz broke into MLB as a 30 year old and totaled 649 plate appearances in his first 8 seasons. 81 plate appearances per year. The guy has proven to be a bottom of the barrel MLB player and even with a surprisingly good performance last year was only able to manage a .280 OBP, .634 OPS and 69 OPS+. Any slipping from there and he's good for about 80 plate appearances and the majority of the year in AAA IMO.

I might be more open to Kratz like the Red Sox were open to poor offensive catchers but I don't think the rest of the Brewer lineup matches what the Red Sox bring to the table. I like Hiura but as of now 2B is going to be a big question mark for the first six weeks and who knows what Arcia will do.

I do like Pina though.

I thought Kratz career year was in 2012.

I agree that there is concern about Kratz offensive regression, but I think his defense still is quite good and shouldn't drop off dramatically. I think the Brewers really value that contribution as they could have just given Nottingham the shot to win the backup out of ST (who knows they might still go that route).

I think Pina will perform better this year and Steamer tends to also view his 2018 as the outlier. In total (with Pina better and dropoff from Kratz/Nottingham) I expect our catching to be about the same next year if not a little bit better.

As I stated previously I am much more concerned about getting upgrade at 2B from last year and a fallback plan if Arcia continues to suck as the Brewers were a 500 team when we had poor hitting from C/2B/SS. It would be great if Hiura steps in and gives us close to average 2B, but if he struggles and Arcia struggles and we get regression from Aguilar/Yelich then we will need some midseason moves to right the ship.

I think I've read that Grandal turned down 4/$60M from the Mets, so I don't think 3/$39M is likely to land him anyway. C is one of those positions where there are only a handful of guys that are well above average, so there is a premium attached to them...but then the workload and injury risk associated with the position make it hard to come out too far ahead of the pack and increases the risk of dead money and/or prospects spent for little gain. (There were three catchers with >3 WAR per fan graphs, and 8 more between 2 and 3.) Our 2b situation is sufficiently dire that it has to be the priority for whatever resources we have left to spend this offseason, and there are enough possibilities available that you should be able to get a decent solution without too much future pain.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think I've read that Grandal turned down 4/$60M from the Mets, so I don't think 3/$39M is likely to land him anyway.

Yes, this has been widely reported. And it appears Grandal may have made a big mistake not taking it - assuming it was actually offered. Some reports put the money closer to $55M - but it's still a lot of coin.

Who knows - 3/$39M might end up being his best option.

I don't know if the Brewers were ever in on JT but now there is one less landing spot for him.

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts the Brewers were in on him, and knew exactly what would be required to get him. Which is why Grandal is a Brewer, and why Realmuto will likely start the 2019 season as a Marlin.

I'm glad we went with Grandal over Realmuto, not giving up any top prospects when we didnt' have to. Market for Realmuto just got even smaller; not that I think Brewers were honestly all that serious, but it was a possibility.

I think we can put this thread to bed......finally.

By bowing out of the JT market though, someone is going to be getting an even better deal. Every time his market shrinks, the team that finally lands him probably gets a better deal.

MLB.com's Joe Frisaro reports that the Marlins are "engaged in substantive discussions with six clubs" regarding a J.T. Realmuto trade.

Those six clubs have been identified as the Braves, Dodgers, Astros, Padres, Rays, and Reds. The asking price remains sky-high on Realmuto, but it seems to be a near certainty that he will be dealt away before the beginning of spring training next month. The 27-year-old catcher slashed .277/.340/.484 with 21 home runs and 74 RBI over 125 games last season for the rebuilding Marlins. He is under team control through 2020 via salary arbitration.

Source: Marlins.mlb.comJan 10 - 1:15 PM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm pretty happy we went the free agent route rather than the trade your farm route...

Archived