Brewer Fanatic

J.T. Realmuto

Eye Black

I don't think that pointing out how ridiculous an exaggeration is is any weirder than having to make ridiculous exaggerations in the first place to support a position.

I guess what I don't understand is if Kratz is such a bad hitter, a bad blocker & a bad thrower...why was he playing so much down the stretch & in the playoffs?

The only things left are framing & leadership/working with pitchers. If you think framing is hard to measure, try to quantify the latter.

Ultimately the front office thought whatever Kratz brought to the table outside of hitting, blocking & throwing was enough to overcome his deficiencies in those areas or else Pina would have been playing more often. I don't think they'd intentionally put someone they judged to be a worse option in the lineup more often than someone they judged to be a better option.

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they played kratz because they thought he managed the game better and was a veteran presence. I also never said he was a bad defender, simply a mediocre one. He's not a Maldonado all defense type that who cares if he posts 550 ops, the defense is worth it.

I would be surprised if kratz posted above 600 ops at the mlb level again

they obviously think they were making the right move playing Kratz over Pina or they wouldn't do it. But this is a message board basically for the purpose of speculating on things such as whether they were right in that decision, so saying the team thinks otherwise so they're right kinda defeats the purpose of being here. I mean, are we all gonna say playing Sogard as much as they did was a good move? They also never really gave an explanation to why they were doing it and no one asked. I still have a slight guess that Pina had some lingering issues from that beanball he took so they wanted his workload down combined with the reasons we all cite for Kratz. Personally, I wonder what difference an extra run or two that might've come from playing Pina instead could have done in games like those. Kratz went 2/18 with one walk

Personally I thought Kratz was poor on his blocking, like noticeably eyetest bad that anyone watching could pick up. He did throw well in spite of not being able to stand up to throw and of course these framing metrics checked out well. I always come back though to the fact that what everyone is saying as to why Kratz played over Pina are the same things Pina was praised for the season before.

I also will be surprised if Kratz comes to close to his already poor hitting line of last years. I'm still hoping they go Pina/Nottingham with Kratz in AAA/emergency to fill in as needed, we'll see though. And again, all accounts are he's a great guy and the story is cool, I'll be rooting for him but I'm skeptical.

If we're going to point exaggerations as being dumb then be sure to point it out in every instance because it happens all the time on here and pretty much in life

I think the playing of Kratz had more to do with keeping Pina healthy than anything else. My guess was Pina wasn't totally healthy all year. He is 31 and plays a demanding position. That and the fact that Kratz' offense was at least passable. He hit a fair amount of balls hard that ended up as outs. Which brings me to the Sogard comparison. I think they stuck with Sogard because early on though he wasn't getting hits, he was hitting in some real bad luck. Because he was coming off a good year, they figured eventually those well struck balls would fall in. Eventually though, likely because he started pressing, he stopped hitting balls hard too.

How about a one stop shopping experience in Miami?

2B/SS Starling Castro

C JT Realmuto

SP Jose Urena

I look at Castro as negative value as he is owed almost $13 million, but he would fill a hole for one year.

Realmuto is Realmuto

Urena is a controllable starter that has had good to average success at the MLB level.

What do you have to give Miami to make it work?

SP Freddie Peralta

SP Zach Brown

OF Tristan Lutz or Corey Ray

C Jacob Nottingham

SP Trey Supak

Too much...too little?

2B/SS Starling Castro

C JT Realmuto

SP Jose Urena

I look at Castro as negative value as he is owed almost $13 million, but he would fill a hole for one year.

Realmuto is Realmuto

Urena is a controllable starter that has had good to average success at the MLB level.

SP Freddie Peralta

SP Zach Brown

C Jacob Nottingham

SP Trey Supak

Too much...too little?

Without looking up numbers, guessing this would add 16-17 million to the payroll.

2B/SS Starling Castro

C JT Realmuto

SP Jose Urena

Realmuto is Realmuto

SP Freddie Peralta

SP Zach Brown

C Jacob Nottingham

SP Trey Supak

Too much...too little?

Without looking up numbers, guessing this would add 16-17 million to the payroll.

If we could get the right match (Not sure this it), I'd blow a silo and field of the farm up for a #2 SP for three years, a starting 2B/IF that could hit #2 for two years, and an all star quality veteran C with 4 years of control. As long as we are sparing/spreading out who is traded (not both of Peralta and Burnes), we could really put ourselves in a nice spot. Not sure there are any great matches...not high on Castro and Urena.

2B/SS Starling Castro

C JT Realmuto

SP Jose Urena

Realmuto is Realmuto

SP Freddie Peralta

SP Zach Brown

C Jacob Nottingham

SP Trey Supak

Too much...too little?

Way too little.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

2B/SS Starling Castro

C JT Realmuto

SP Jose Urena

Realmuto is Realmuto

SP Freddie Peralta

SP Zach Brown

C Jacob Nottingham

SP Trey Supak

Too much...too little?

Way too little.

Correct. Too little.

Also no thanks on Castro. I understand the idea of taking on some dead $ to offset prospect return but I doubt Miami is motivated to do that at this point.

Castro isn’t dead money. He was worth over 2 wins last year, can play SS part time and is only owed $11 million this year then has a $16 mil team option/$1 mil buyout for next year. There’s plenty of value in him at that contract and he’s still under 30. He’d be a very nice target for us.

Steve Adams and Jeff Todd from MLBtraderumors posted on Realmuto today.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/12/3-remaining-needs-nl-east.html

Here is the text:

"Marlins: Find a trade partner for J.T. Realmuto. Last winter, the Fish played coy on Christian Yelich but ultimately dealt him.They nevertheless held Realmuto — a decision that actually seems to have worked out. While he’s now just two years from free agency, Realmuto also firmly established himself as the game’s best overall catcher in the interim. Now, we’re seeing more talk about hanging onto him entering another rebuilding season. That seems only to be cover, though, because the risks greatly outweigh the upside (if any) in holding on to Realmuto to open the season. Several suitors have moved on, but others remain. The Marlins ought to pick the best bid in the coming weeks."

Seems that they think the Marlins should act and should do it fast.

Also no thanks on Castro. I understand the idea of taking on some dead $ to offset prospect return but I doubt Miami is motivated to do that at this point.

Castro isn’t dead money. He was worth over 2 wins last year, can play SS part time and is only owed $11 million this year then has a $16 mil team option/$1 mil buyout for next year. There’s plenty of value in him at that contract and he’s still under 30. He’d be a very nice target for us.

Forgive the hyperbole but he has not really played SS for going on 4 years. He's fine, I guess...but the point remains that I don't think he softens the blow of what is needed in the trade.

It's pretty easy to look at Castro and assume that he would be a negative value player. But last year he had a bWAR/fWAR of 2.8, three year average 0f 2.0. Even counting for some decline, he probably should be considered a slightly positive value player. Would the Marlins just forego that and throw him into a Realmuto deal to unload his salary? I think that's pretty likely. But I think it's just as likely that a team will not get a discount on Realmuto if Castro is thrown in.

Urena is a tough guy to figure. Posted a 3.90 ERA and 1.23 WHIP in his age 25 and 26 seasons. That looks pretty good. However, he's been a 6.4 K/9, 4.68 FIP, 97 ERA+ pitcher over those same two seasons and that's not very good. He'd have positive value, but probably not as much as many people would anticipate for a guy with 3 years of control remaining.

Jon Morosi of MLB Network reports the Astros and Marlins are still in touch regarding a potential J.T Realmuto swap.

The Marlins are demanding either pitcher Forrest Whitley or outfielder Kyle Tucker to headline the return package and the Astros are not willing to part with either of them. Both Whitley and Tucker are consensus top-10 prospects in all of baseball and both are on the cusp of the major leagues. The Astros signed backstop Robinson Chirinos to a one-year, $5.75 million contract last month to replace Brian McCann, who left as a free agent and signed with the Braves. They would surely be happy to slide Chirinos into a backup role if they are able to snag Realmuto to be their starter. The Padres, Dodgers, Reds and Rays are also known to have negotiated with the Marlins regarding Realmuto in recent weeks.

Source: Jon Morosi on Twitter

Dec 29 - 1:00 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Hope JT enjoys another year playing for that trainwreck.

I would guess he can't wait to get out of there...

Probably needs to pull what Yelich did and demand a trade. Then maybe the Marlins would lower their obnoxious demands. Right now, at least in their heads, they have the leverage. That leverage is slowly trickling away, though, as several teams have passed by Realmuto and went a different direction to fill catching needs. Obviously the Brewers are not one of those teams, which leads me to believe that they are perhaps lying in the weeds.

They have him for two more years. If he can hit the first half of 2019 the way he did all of 2018 or better I would think they could get more for him at the deadline than now. Not saying that's their thinking, but it makes sense to me.

Trading catchers at the deadline is a bit tricky though, they have to learn all new pitchers and probably can't play full time at catcher right away. With Realmuto, you could justify playing him at 1b or DH depending on your team...though any contender probably has a beast hitter at 1b/DH.

I think Realmuto would have to have an 850 OPS and healthy 1st half this season for them to be able to justify the same asking price they currently have for him at the deadline. I don't think his value can really increase at this point unless he puts up Posey MVP type numbers. Even if he's a more established hitter, any contender is getting him for 1/3 less time than if they traded for him right now...and his salary would be that much less team friendly. And there's also the risk of him getting hurt, or struggling to start the season and sitting on a 725 OPS at the all-star break. They'd be kicking themselves at that point for not trading him right now. Especially considering Realmuto is a catcher, keeping him is a huge risk.

In August he hit 202/294 and Sept 229/316. They should absolutely trade him this offseason. I'm not saying he's bad because of a poor two months, it happens. Just that he's not a Posey level great hitter so things like that happen. If another bad two months happen to start next year it kills his value, not worth the risk and they should do it before the season.

ETA: as pointed out in the next post, yea I meant prime Posey. Prime Mauer, Piazza, etc. Again, just saying he's not a mega hitter where a bad few months are out of the question, so there is a big risk in that happening at the wrong time whereas even a hot start can't really increase his value above what it already is

Over the last three seasons Realmuto has been a Posey level hitter...

Buster Posey 2016-18 | 298/374/429 (116 w RC+)

JT Realmuto 2016-18 | 286/338/454 (115 wRC+)

2016: BP (114 wRC+) JT (111 wRC+)

2017: BP (126 wRC+) JT (107 wRC+)

2018: BP (106 wRC+) JT (126 wRC+)

Sure, JT isn't prime level Buster (141 wRC+ from 2010-15), but if you get him out of Marlins Park (89 wRC+ at home vs. 137 wRC+ on the road over the last three years) it's possible he gets a significant boost.

Archived