Brewer Fanatic

J.T. Realmuto

Eye Black

According to Craig Mish the Reds are reportedly the latest in the rumor mill for Realmuto...

LINK: Sources indicate the Cincinnati Reds have jumped into the Realmuto talks. Could be moving up into the candidates to acquire him.
LINK: Sources indicate the names possibly in a potential deal would be hilighted by top prospect Taylor Trammell and a catcher. Possibly Barnhart.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to Craig Mish the Reds are reportedly the latest in the rumor mill for Realmuto...

LINK: Sources indicate the Cincinnati Reds have jumped into the Realmuto talks. Could be moving up into the candidates to acquire him.
LINK: Sources indicate the names possibly in a potential deal would be hilighted by top prospect Taylor Trammell and a catcher. Possibly Barnhart.

If the Reds pull this trade off, that offense is going to be scary. They only need to add a little bit of pitching to make the division a blood bath among 4 teams.

The Reds offense would be looking really good, but to me it looks like a stupid move considering where they are sitting in the standings. I don't think either the Cubs or Brewers would be all that intimidated by this, and the Cardinals have added Goldschmidt. The Reds can make an aggressive move like this but they are still likely no better than a 4th place team next year. Considering Realmuto is only controlled for two more years, it really doesn't make any sense for Cincinnati to make a move like this. If I'm the Reds, there is no way I would included any of the top four prospects (Senzel, Trammell, Greene, India) and that should easily disqualify them from contention for Realmuto.

If the Reds acquire Realmuto, I assume they would quickly be offering him a long term extension. I don’t see them pulling this off if they aren’t going to lock him up long term. He is young enough where he could get a 5 or 6 year extension and be confident in him staying productive through the entire contract.

What would a long term contract for Realmuto look like? 6 years, $120 million?

If the Reds acquire Realmuto, I assume they would quickly be offering him a long term extension. I don’t see them pulling this off if they aren’t going to lock him up long term. He is young enough where he could get a 5 or 6 year extension and be confident in him staying productive through the entire contract.

What would a long term contract for Realmuto look like? 6 years, $120 million?

More than that if he was free agent today. But since they would be buying out his two years of arbitration and tacking on four more years, that should be in the ballpark for age 28-33.

Trading for Realmuto likely means moving on from Barnhart, and I don't really know why they'd want to do that. Barnhart is super solid and signed for a very team friendly contract for the next 3 years with a 2022 option. If the Reds did get Realmuto, heck I'd be interested in Barnhart for the Brewers.

All that said, the Reds would be wise to make some moves and look to win now...even with how good the division is. DJ should help their young pitching, they have one of the best offenses in baseball already(not to mention Senzel will hit the majors in 2019), and they have some payroll to work with along with Homer Bailey falling off the books next year. If the Reds land Kluber or Bauer and another solid bullpen arm, I would probably be more concerned about them than the Cubs or Cards.

Trading for Realmuto likely means moving on from Barnhart, and I don't really know why they'd want to do that. Barnhart is super solid and signed for a very team friendly contract for the next 3 years with a 2022 option. If the Reds did get Realmuto, heck I'd be interested in Barnhart for the Brewers.

All that said, the Reds would be wise to make some moves and look to win now...even with how good the division is. DJ should help their young pitching, they have one of the best offenses in baseball already(not to mention Senzel will hit the majors in 2019), and they have some payroll to work with along with Homer Bailey falling off the books next year. If the Reds land Kluber or Bauer and another solid bullpen arm, I would probably be more concerned about them than the Cubs or Cards.

Agreed completely. If they acquired Realmuto, they could use Barnhart as part of a trade for Kluber or Bauer. All depends on how high the Indians are on Mejia, but Barnhart would be a solid option for them.

Agreed completely. If they acquired Realmuto, they could use Barnhart as part of a trade for Kluber or Bauer. All depends on how high the Indians are on Mejia, but Barnhart would be a solid option for them.

Mejia got traded to the Padres at the deadline.

Mejia got traded to the Padres at the deadline.

Thanks, I forgot about that. Barnhart would still be a solid option for the Indians. It’ll be interesting to see what happens.

If the Reds are trading Trammell for Realmuto, I highly highly doubt it'd be much more than 1 for 1. Even that seems unlikely to me unless they don't have a lot of confidence in his bat. I would guess then that Barnhart would be on the move in a package for an Indians starter. That set of moves would make a lot of sense for all 3 teams, aside from Trammell generally being an overpay for Realmuto.

I think Davies had established himself as having pretty good value at the end of 2017, but 2018 may have completely erased all of that. He's a small guy and teams will always worry about his durability and last year he only got to 66 innings. His average fWAR/bWAR last year was only 0.2 (was on the negative side in bWAR). If you included all the good with the bad, from 2016-2018 his numbers are a pretty unremarkable 4.06 ERA, 1.31 WHIP, 4.12 FIP, 106 ERA+.

I wouldn't be very interested in Davies if I were sitting in the Marlins GM chair. I'd probably say right up-front that Davies value would have to represent <25% of the value that I would need back in the package to trade Realmuto. Also would immediately point out that I'd have absolutely zero interest in adding Chase Anderson or Eric Thames. Then I'd state that without Hiura or Burnes being part of the deal, that I would be 99.99% confident that I could find a better offer elsewhere.

I think if you're going to trade for a guy who's still cost controlled, but is has recently struggled, you're looking for a guy who has a high ceiling, but the team that he's currently on can't wait on him to see if he'll reach said ceiling. You take a chance on them because if they put it together, at the trade deadline you have a guy you can then flip. I am just guessing, but I would think when the Marlins look at a small guy like Davies without overpowering stuff, there just isn't much reason for them to want him in return for one of the best catchers in baseball with multiple years of control left.

I would place Realmuto's value at this point close to Yelich's value last year. Realmuto is definitely a more valuable asset coming off his last season as compared to Yelich at this point last year, but Yelich had more team control. So I think you'd have to look at a similar type trade. They'd want an elite prospect(Brinson was definitely elite, and not that it's the point right now, but I always thought he'd struggle until he got ~1000 PA's) in the big leagues and then start having some success. But then we also had to give up two other guys who made top 100 lists and a 4th guy who rounded out the trade and was a bit of a lottery ticket. A lefty with pedestrian stuff, but that's on top of a top 15 prospect and two other top 100-ish prospects. I don't see Davies fitting in there without them wanting Hirura or Burnes+a Woodruff/Peralta...and then at that point, you could start to maybe talk about a couple young guys with team control and mixed results in the big leagues like Santana and or Davies.

I can't disagree more. Yelich outperformed Realmuto offensively over the 4yrs prior to their trades and also won a GG while Realmuto's DRS is sitting in the hard negative (but he's very good at throwing out runners). Then factor in Yelich being 2yrs younger with 3yrs more control. Yelich's 2017 > Realmuto 2018 and Yelich still posted a 120 OPS+ the year he was traded while playing CF. If Realmuto's value is similar to Yelich that means he'll bring back (1) Top 20, (1) Top 65, (1) Top 100. There's no way that's happening and I will speak in certainties in this regard.

I think Davies had established himself as having pretty good value at the end of 2017, but 2018 may have completely erased all of that. He's a small guy and teams will always worry about his durability and last year he only got to 66 innings. His average fWAR/bWAR last year was only 0.2 (was on the negative side in bWAR). If you included all the good with the bad, from 2016-2018 his numbers are a pretty unremarkable 4.06 ERA, 1.31 WHIP, 4.12 FIP, 106 ERA+.

I wouldn't be very interested in Davies if I were sitting in the Marlins GM chair. I'd probably say right up-front that Davies value would have to represent <25% of the value that I would need back in the package to trade Realmuto. Also would immediately point out that I'd have absolutely zero interest in adding Chase Anderson or Eric Thames. Then I'd state that without Hiura or Burnes being part of the deal, that I would be 99.99% confident that I could find a better offer elsewhere.

I think if you're going to trade for a guy who's still cost controlled, but is has recently struggled, you're looking for a guy who has a high ceiling, but the team that he's currently on can't wait on him to see if he'll reach said ceiling. You take a chance on them because if they put it together, at the trade deadline you have a guy you can then flip. I am just guessing, but I would think when the Marlins look at a small guy like Davies without overpowering stuff, there just isn't much reason for them to want him in return for one of the best catchers in baseball with multiple years of control left.

I would place Realmuto's value at this point close to Yelich's value last year. Realmuto is definitely a more valuable asset coming off his last season as compared to Yelich at this point last year, but Yelich had more team control. So I think you'd have to look at a similar type trade. They'd want an elite prospect(Brinson was definitely elite, and not that it's the point right now, but I always thought he'd struggle until he got ~1000 PA's) in the big leagues and then start having some success. But then we also had to give up two other guys who made top 100 lists and a 4th guy who rounded out the trade and was a bit of a lottery ticket. A lefty with pedestrian stuff, but that's on top of a top 15 prospect and two other top 100-ish prospects. I don't see Davies fitting in there without them wanting Hirura or Burnes+a Woodruff/Peralta...and then at that point, you could start to maybe talk about a couple young guys with team control and mixed results in the big leagues like Santana and or Davies.

I can't disagree more. Yelich outperformed Realmuto offensively over the 4yrs prior to their trades and also won a GG while Realmuto's DRS is sitting in the hard negative (but he's very good at throwing out runners). Then factor in Yelich being 2yrs younger with 3yrs more control. Yelich's 2017 > Realmuto 2018 and Yelich still posted a 120 OPS+ the year he was traded while playing CF. If Realmuto's value is similar to Yelich that means he'll bring back (1) Top 20, (1) Top 65, (1) Top 100. There's no way that's happening and I will speak in certainties in this regard.

I don't think there is much of an argument that Yelich is the better player, but it's hard to compare Yelich's 2017 to Realmuto's 2018. Yelich was protected throughout the year by Stanton, Osuna, Bour, and Realmuto. Realmuto had Castro and Anderson around him, and still had his best offensive year.

I'm not sure the upgrade from Barnhart to Realmuto is worth the prospect cost for the Reds.

I actually really like the Reds offense as is.

Winker, Scooter, Votto, Suarez is a more than formidable heart of the order.

Peraza and Barnhart hit plenty for their positions.

They could stand to try Senzel in CF and upgrade on Schebler, but overall that's a very strong line up.

They need some help on the pitching front. There's probably 3 pitchers on that whole 25 man roster from last year that I'd be interested in.

I'm not sure the upgrade from Barnhart to Realmuto is worth the prospect cost for the Reds.

I actually really like the Reds offense as is.

Winker, Scooter, Votto, Suarez is a more than formidable heart of the order.

Peraza and Barnhart hit plenty for their positions.

They could stand to try Senzel in CF and upgrade on Schebler, but overall that's a very strong line up.

They need some help on the pitching front. There's probably 3 pitchers on that whole 25 man roster from last year that I'd be interested in.

I wouldn't underestimate the impact DJ could have on their staff. Look what he did with our staff. They have some high profile arms that have greatly underperformed on that MLB roster...guys that when coming through their system looked like TOR arms.

Honestly, I'm a bit puzzled that they would look to do anything at all on offense. Assuming Senzel can play a legit CF, they'll be basically set. Grab a RH depth OF for cheap like Austin Jackson or Rajai Davis, maybe add a utility guy that can play SS in FA...then use the rest of their resources on pitching. Realmuto certainly moves the needle a bit and is a clear upgrade, but Barnhart overall is a fringe top 10 catcher in baseball on a dirt cheap contract. I'm not sure losing Trammell is worth the modest upgrade.

I don't think there is much of an argument that Yelich is the better player, but it's hard to compare Yelich's 2017 to Realmuto's 2018. Yelich was protected throughout the year by Stanton, Osuna, Bour, and Realmuto. Realmuto had Castro and Anderson around him, and still had his best offensive year.

Exactly my point.

And yes, I can compare individual seasons. It's such flawed logic to think a player's ability, and success, is directly attributed to the guy standing in the on-deck circle.

Exactly my point.

And yes, I can compare individual seasons. It's such flawed logic to think a player's ability, and success, is directly attributed to the guy standing in the on-deck circle.

So you're saying you won't receive better pitches with the season's MVP in Stanton hitting behind you? I never said a player's ability is attributed to the guy hitting behind him, but he will have better opportunities to succeed.

First of all, speaking in certainties is foolish. Especially given how unpredictable the baseball world is, how much variance there regarding how teams view prospects(for instance, I don't believe the Brewers felt Brinson was a top 20 prospect when they traded him). So I don't know why anyone would do that, but if you want to put your name on it, that's fine.

Second, you're compaing these two as though they're both left fielders. They're not. Finding good catching is the second hardest thing to do in basbeall behind only finding TOR arms. And you can throw out the GG argument.

Finally, you seem to be going too far out of your way to make your argument. Yelich is 3 months older than Realmuto, so there's no two year difference. Yelich playing CF below average because he was in an OF with two other All-Stars is totally irrelevant.....

Yelich was an under the radar trade. Teams are bidding now on Realmuto.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Exactly my point.

So you're saying you won't receive better pitches with the season's MVP in Stanton hitting behind you? I never said a player's ability is attributed to the guy hitting behind him, but he will have better opportunities to succeed.

Of course he will. But for the record, I never said anything about who was better. I was talking about value.

And if you DO compare Realmuto's '18 season to Yelich '17 season, they're pretty close...but again, one is a catcher with half of baseball looking to add him, the other is a corner OF'er.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

First of all, speaking in certainties is foolish. Especially given how unpredictable the baseball world is, how much variance there regarding how teams view prospects(for instance, I don't believe the Brewers felt Brinson was a top 20 prospect when they traded him). So I don't know why anyone would do that, but if you want to put your name on it, that's fine.

Second, you're compaing these two as though they're both left fielders. They're not. Finding good catching is the second hardest thing to do in basbeall behind only finding TOR arms. And you can throw out the GG argument.

Finally, you seem to be going too far out of your way to make your argument. Yelich is 3 months older than Realmuto, so there's no two year difference. Yelich playing CF below average because he was in an OF with two other All-Stars is totally irrelevant.....

Yelich is actually 9 months younger than Realmuto, and I'm sure he was referring to at the time of the trade...which means Yelich was 1 year and 9 months younger at his time of trade than Realmuto will be at his likely time of trade. I guess you can call him wrong over 3 months if you want, but he was mostly right on the 2 year comment.

Also catchers get hurt far more and don't play as many games as outfielders, hence why you see so outfielders getting a ton of big contracts while catchers are signed to smaller deals. Outside of Posey, the biggest catcher contract I can think of is Russell Martin's 5/82. There are a ton of outfielders signed to over $100 million deals. I don't think the catcher position being a premium position is going to get the value you are anticipating.

Exactly my point.

Did he receive worse pitches when Stanton didn't win MVP the other seasons?

Did Yelich perform at a MVP level this year because Aguilar/Braun were in the 3 hole? You don't have to say something directly to imply it...

Exactly my point.

Of course he will. But for the record, I never said anything about who was better. I was talking about value.

And if you DO compare Realmuto's '18 season to Yelich '17 season, they're pretty close...but again, one is a catcher with half of baseball looking to add him, the other is a corner OF'er.

So performance and value have no correlation? Got it!!

Lets hypothetically call Yelich (X) and Realmuto (Y) the same exact offensive player. If X has 5yrs control and Y has 2 who is more valuable? Yes, Realmuto is a catcher and that's a premium position. Except Yelich isn't merely a corner OF....it's almost like he never won a GG in LF nor played a full season in CF when traded (meaning he's capable of playing all 3 spots so has ultimate versatility out there - yeah, that's valuable too).

Yelich is actually 9 months younger than Realmuto, and I'm sure he was referring to at the time of the trade...which means Yelich was 1 year and 9 months younger at his time of trade than Realmuto will be at his likely time of trade. I guess you can call him wrong over 3 months if you want, but he was mostly right on the 2 year comment.

Also catchers get hurt far more and don't play as many games as outfielders, hence why you see so outfielders getting a ton of big contracts while catchers are signed to smaller deals. Outside of Posey, the biggest catcher contract I can think of is Russell Martin's 5/82. There are a ton of outfielders signed to over $100 million deals. I don't think the catcher position being a premium position is going to get the value you are anticipating.

Speaking in certainties isn't foolish. At 7pm CST tonight I'm *certain* it's going to be dark outside. It depends on the subject matter. If Realmuto lands a package of (1) Top 20, (1) Top 65, (1) Top 100 + another halfway decent prospect, which is very similar to Yelich, then I'll be the first to say I was way off base then you can use me as an example of it being foolish.

I'm not comparing them as if they're both LFs. Also, and again, Yelich isn't a LF. He won a GG in LF and literally just came off playing an entire season in CF. We then moved him to RF but he fills in at both LF and CF because *he's versatile*. That's extremely valuable, especially when you have his bat. Realmuto being a catcher doesn't make up for an additional 3yrs of control.

You're literally saying Yelich wasn't, at the time, a GG caliber LF because he was moved off LF and forced to play CF between 2 AS players. Yikes. Yelich had a DRS of 13, 13, 6 in LF then Ozuna came up and needed a spot because *he* can't play anywhere other than LF. But guess who's versatile enough to shift to CF? That's right - Yelich. And if you want to call his defense there below average (-6 DRS) then I won't disagree. But you can't say that out of one side of your mouth while saying Realmuto is *very good* defensively outside the other when his DRS the past 3yrs is -7, -5, -13. It's one or the other, not whatever fits your narrative. And I never said Yelich is a CF. By saying he played a full season in CF the year he was traded, and after winning a GG earlier in LF, it *clearly* points to his defensive versatility. The Brewers can get by with him in CF if need be whereas someone like Braun they couldn't because he's not capable of being serviceable there if needed.

Yes, KeithStone, it was blatantly obvious I was comparing both at the time of their trades hence 2yr age difference - Yelich heading into age 26 season while Realmuto heading into age 28 season. Because that's what you do when comparing trades - you compare them at the time they each happen.

I don't know what it means when you say Yelich's trade was under the radar - it's as if you're alluding to the fact almost no other teams were involved as opposed to everyone knowing Realmuto is available and wanting him. Why in the world would Miami handicap themselves and not speak with other teams about Yelich - it was even made public that Yelich didn't want to be there and Miami said they weren't going to trade him then they said everyone has a price. Every team that had the means to acquire Yelich, and wanted him, no doubt had conversations with Miami just like what's happening with Realmuto. To imply otherwise is foolish.

According to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald, the J.T. Realmuto trade market is "essentially down to six teams: Reds, Mets, Rays, Braves, Dodgers, and Padres."

There was an expectation that Realmuto would be traded at some point during this week's Winter Meetings, but that's not going to happen as teams are packing up and heading out of Las Vegas. The Marlins are still sifting through offers and trying to get multiple young players in return for the 27-year-old catcher. Realmuto batted .277/.340/.484 with 21 home runs and 74 RBI over 125 games this past season with Miami. He is under control through 2020.

Source: Clark Spencer on TwitterDec 13 - 1:48 PM

Don't see the Brewers listed...Probably see a press conference tomorrow announcing the trade to the Brewers...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived