Brewer Fanatic

J.T. Realmuto

Eye Black
The guy that broke the Moustakas trade hours before anyone else, says Marlins demanding Hiura and Brewers not interested. I'm taking this with a grain of salt myself, you all can have your own opinion.

https://twitter.com/bucksbrett/status/1067076583452786689

Count me in the group who wouldn't be surprised if it were true. As I said last week, I have the feeling that the Marlins feel like they "lost" the Yelich trade badly and need to "win" this one but, with the top two free agents at the position still available at zero prospect cost, Stearns has little incentive to give up his top prospect at this time...

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been putzing through marlins fan forums a bit. The general consensus is that Realmuto should get any prospect in baseball not named Vlad Jr as a starting point in any offer. The guys most mentioned are Whitley and/or Tucker coming over from Houston with even more significant pieces in return. A deal that Rosenthal threw out there was Tucker and James for Realmuto, is viewed pretty well on the Marlins boards.

Most on this board think the Realmuto return will be far, far below that including myself. It's interesting to see what the other side thinks.

Gomes to the Nationals. The Brewers looked positioned to land a catcher if they really desire to.

Something tells me that this move indicates that the Marlins are asking for the moon for Realmuto. The Nationals made a ton of sense to make that trade, but instead they are going with a platoon of Suzuki and Gomes.

I would still love to be able to pencil Realmuto into the Brewers lineup for 110-120 games, with Pina getting the remaining 40-50, but unless the Marlins come down on their ask, its getting tougher to see.

Gomes to the Nationals. The Brewers looked positioned to land a catcher if they really desire to.

Something tells me that this move indicates that the Marlins are asking for the moon for Realmuto. The Nationals made a ton of sense to make that trade, but instead they are going with a platoon of Suzuki and Gomes.

It's already been confirmed by multiple credible insiders that the Marlins asked the Nats for Soto or Robles, which qualifies as asking for the moon.

Honestly I think it's worth the gamble for the Marlins to hold out for a really good offer. The Woodruff + Ray + Nottingham type of offers will always be there, and those probably represent minor incremental improvements for their organization. It would be overly simplistic to say his trade value goes down the longer they hold on to him. For one thing, the market could change drastically in either direction at any time. For another thing, it would probably be more accurate to say that it becomes less and less likely that they'll get a king's ransom for him the longer they wait, but that's not the same as losing trade value - at least not in the sense that they run the risk of not being able to get the type of offer in August that we're all hoping they'll accept now.

I just don't see the point for them to accept the type of offer that they could probably get from 10 different teams any time they want in the next year, barring an injury to Realmuto. So they may as well ask too much and hope someone bites.

I thought I heard/ read somewhere that the Marlins wanted both top prospects from the Astros (Kyle Tucker, OF & Forrest Whitely, RHSP) in a deal for Realmuto.

Yes, that is asking for the moon in return...

Time to focus somewhere else if an upgrade is sought,,,

Cervelli would be a nice addition that probably wouldn’t cost too much. He would be a good option to bring back on a two year deal next offseason as well.

Cervelli had a nice 2018, but his 2017 and 2016 were what the Brewers got from Pina last year (and less than what they got from Pina in 2017). I don't see the upgrade.

I'd bet that given the contract that Kratz signed, they are going to go with Pina as the starter, Nottingham as the backup (one start a week, focusing on learning the staff and adjusting to the majors with an eye on starting in 2020), and Kratz at AAA if Nottingham bombs. If Nottingham looks OK, then Kratz comes up in September.

I just don't see a deal for Realmuto unless the price comes down to the aforementioned Woodruff, Nottingham, Ray. And that's a better offer than many think.

Boston won the World Series with worse production at C than the Brewers, arguably the worst production at C in all of baseball. You don't have to have All-Stars at every position to win the World Series.

It's already been confirmed by multiple credible insiders that the Marlins asked the Nats for Soto or Robles, which qualifies as asking for the moon.

Honestly I think it's worth the gamble for the Marlins to hold out for a really good offer. The Woodruff + Ray + Nottingham type of offers will always be there, and those probably represent minor incremental improvements for their organization. It would be overly simplistic to say his trade value goes down the longer they hold on to him. For one thing, the market could change drastically in either direction at any time. For another thing, it would probably be more accurate to say that it becomes less and less likely that they'll get a king's ransom for him the longer they wait, but that's not the same as losing trade value - at least not in the sense that they run the risk of not being able to get the type of offer in August that we're all hoping they'll accept now.

I just don't see the point for them to accept the type of offer that they could probably get from 10 different teams any time they want in the next year, barring an injury to Realmuto. So they may as well ask too much and hope someone bites.

I guess I should have added the term "currently" to my post. The Soto and Robles asks go back to last season, if not the offseason. While not totally impossible, I don't know if those guys are still the asks for Realmuto now. You are right, though, that they don't need to trade him, so they can hold out for someone to get desperate and throw a godfather offer at them.

Realmuto's an appealing target. However, with the various angles bouncing around in my head on possibly acquiring him for a month or so, I just don't see the cost being worth the net upgrade. C wasn't a great position for us, but I think more of the issues lie on the pitching side & 2B. Not that we couldn't use more out of the C position, but we need lots more out of 2B & a few of the pitching spots on the roster, and I think they can accomplish some/all of that for less cost (salary &/or trade assets) than Realmuto & a little bit of P or 2B help.

It's going to be fun when Realmuto isn't traded and opens the year with a 720ish OPS over the first few months...and offers significantly decrease at the deadline. Foolish asking prices like the one reportedly on Realmuto generally bother me, so I'll enjoy it coming back to bite the Marlins.

[

All depends on what the other offers are. In two years he is gone. They’d be wise to get what they can for him now.

I would be shocked if he isn't on the Astros by spring training. They have a strong system and an obvious need.

Looks like the Astros are signing Robinson Chirinos

Chirinos is actually a solid backstop, and should be an upgrade to McCann. I imagine they still have interest in Realmuto, though.

Chirinos is actually a solid backstop, and should be an upgrade to McCann. I imagine they still have interest in Realmuto, though.

Oh, I'm sure that they had interest - very few teams with ambition wouldn't - but I'm equally sure that they kicked the tires, talked to the salesman, heard the price and laughed heartily as they walked across the street from the BMW dealer to the Honda dealer and picked up something decent at a reasonable price. :laughing

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

The Mets fans are unbelievably dumb. Offering a bunch of failed, formerly mid level prospects for the guy every GM is calling on. Really? If that’s true we could just do woodruff straight up.
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

The Mets fans are unbelievably dumb. Offering a bunch of failed, formerly mid level prospects for the guy every GM is calling on. Really? If that’s true we could just do woodruff straight up.

Some of the "insider" tweets are making it sound like Conforto, Nimmo and Rosario are coveted by the Marlins and the Mets aren't inclined to give them up. Really? Two extremely average outfielders and a good defense no stick (albeit young) middle infielder? Does that mean all we need to do to get Realmuto is offer up Arcia? Makes me wish we would have hung onto Brett Phillips.

Conforto and Nimmo are highly valuable pieces. I understand both why the Marlins covet them and why the Mets would say no

I don't know. They are cheap I guess. Otherwise I don't see how they are so valuable. Nimmo is a ok defense high strikeout bat, while Conforto had a poor year. They are young, but I don't see how either would be off the table for a guy who is arguably the best catcher in the game. Both seem pretty average to me.

How different in value are Santana/Conforto or Arcia/Rosario?

Conforto has had more consistent time the last 2 years, but Santana’s full season in 2017 was comparable to Confortos production.

Arcia and Rosario are both All D light bat SS. Almost identical hitting numbers with Rosario having 1 more year of control.

Some of the "insider" tweets are making it sound like Conforto, Nimmo and Rosario are coveted by the Marlins and the Mets aren't inclined to give them up. Really? Two extremely average outfielders and a good defense no stick (albeit young) middle infielder? Does that mean all we need to do to get Realmuto is offer up Arcia? Makes me wish we would have hung onto Brett Phillips.

In fairness, Nimmo and Conforto are both pretty good hitters and young with upside. Nimmo in particular had a very good season...over 400 OBP. That said, both are corner outfielders and Nimmo is a poor defender even in the corner. I fail to see how any of those hitters is an elite position player that they are rumored to be targeting. I also fail to see how either of them is more valuable than Peralta or Woodruff.

Conforto and Nimmo are highly valuable pieces. I understand both why the Marlins covet them and why the Mets would say no

I don't know. They are cheap I guess. Otherwise I don't see how they are so valuable. Nimmo is a ok defense high strikeout bat, while Conforto had a poor year. They are young, but I don't see how either would be off the table for a guy who is arguably the best catcher in the game. Both seem pretty average to me.

On a minimum contract, Nimmo giving you 4.5 WAR with an OBP over .400 and 50+ extra base hits is the part you are missing when describing his offense. OK defense is dead on though

Andy Martino of SNY.tv reports that the Mets' trade talks involving J.T. Realmuto, Noah Syndergaard and Corey Kluber "have lost a degree of momentum."

Martino says that the Mets are "highly motivated" to acquire J.T. Realmuto, but the Marlins' big asking price -- which may include Amed Rosario and Brandon Nimmo -- has the Mets feeling "less optimistic" something will get done. He adds that the Mets feel they need to get a "slam-dunk return" in order to consider trading Syndergaard and they "have been unable to get close to a match with Cleveland on Kluber." This could all just be posturing, of course, and Martino notes that it's possible the lost momentum is "temporary." We will surely hear plenty of rumors involving the Mets at this week's Winter Meetings.

Source: SNY.tvDec 9 - 2:33 PM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jon Morosi of MLB Network reports that the Padres have "genuine interest" in acquiring J.T. Realmuto from the Marlins.

The Padres are in the market for an upgrade behind the plate and Realmuto definitely qualifies there. He'd add another big bat to the middle of the lineup as well as terrific defense behind the dish. The Mets are the team that has been mentioned most often as the team looking to snag the All-Star catcher from the Marlins, but perhaps they'd prefer to deal him out of the division instead, which could give the Padres a leg up.

Source: Jon Morosi on TwitterDec 9 - 10:24 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived