Brewer Fanatic

J.T. Realmuto

Eye Black
I don't have a strong opinion on Brinson's stock, but are we sure the Marlins would want Brinson or Santana? Seems a bit sad, but if Yelich/Realmuto get dealt, the Marlins can kiss any competitive baseball goodbye until about 2022 at the earliest (probably can do that anyways). At that point, Santana would be gone or Brinson would have two years left.

They could flip either of them later, but I think they'd be asking for mostly potential stud players that still need 2 years of seasoning.

Maybe they have more interest in Clark or Ray + then.

Brewers Get: Christian Yelich, JT Realmuto, Kyle Barraclough

Marlins Get: Corey Ray, Josh Pennington, Mario Feliciano, Trey Supak, Freddy Peralta.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with the previous couple of offers mentioned is that the Marlins have to accept them also. They kind of remind me of a Gerrit Cole for Brinson/Hader trade I saw proposed somewhere (pirates site obviously). A trade for Yelich/Tealmuto could definitely be best for both teams, but the package would have to start with Brinson.

With all 6 years of control yet, there’s no way the Marlins would think he’d be done by the time they’re rebuild is finished.

The problem with the previous couple of offers mentioned is that the Marlins have to accept them also. They kind of remind me of a Gerrit Cole for Brinson/Hader trade I saw proposed somewhere (pirates site obviously). A trade for Yelich/Tealmuto could definitely be best for both teams, but the package would have to start with Brinson.

With all 6 years of control yet, there’s no way the Marlins would think he’d be done by the time they’re rebuild is finished.

I only had the players I did in mine because if they’re looking at s 2020-2022 window, those prospects would fit that better. If they did take on those prospect I listed out, even if we had to add one more, we could then use Brinson to target a TOR type pitcher. Then we would really have something.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

No, but you’d want more than 2-3 years at arbitration prices when the window opens up.

It’s not a complete deterrent especially since an extension could be signed, but it’s a real consideration.

I don't have a strong opinion on Brinson's stock, but are we sure the Marlins would want Brinson or Santana? Seems a bit sad, but if Yelich/Realmuto get dealt, the Marlins can kiss any competitive baseball goodbye until about 2022 at the earliest (probably can do that anyways). At that point, Santana would be gone or Brinson would have two years left.

They could flip either of them later, but I think they'd be asking for mostly potential stud players that still need 2 years of seasoning.

They are kinda at that point anyway? Their pitching situation is awful, and they still have a couple bad contracts that they won't be able to trade. Are those 2 guys really gonna help them compete this year? If they can deal yelich and realmuto, the prospects they receive would likely result in major league talent hitting the majors in 2019ish. Depending how long those guys take to develop will determine how long until they compete, though smart money says your 2022 call isn't terribly far off. They don't have as many major league assets on good contracts to trade, or as creative a GM as Stearns, so they'll likely be a longer rebuild than us.

I only had the players I did in mine because if they’re looking at s 2020-2022 window, those prospects would fit that better. If they did take on those prospect I listed out, even if we had to add one more, we could then use Brinson to target a TOR type pitcher. Then we would really have something.

Yeah that is good thinking but none are really stud low level prospects with the highest being Ray who is on a downward slope. Probably would have to add top prospects Harrison and Hiura if you go that route. I mean the Brewers would be getting a real good CF and C with 5 and 3 years of control.

Yeah that is good thinking but none are really stud low level prospects with the highest being Ray who is on a downward slope. Probably would have to add top prospects Harrison and Hiura if you go that route. I mean the Brewers would be getting a real good CF and C with 5 and 3 years of control.

Might not "need" Hiura if Castro was taken in on the deal.

Brewers get: Yelich and Realmuto, have to take Castro

Marlins get: Brinson, Pina, Phillips, Ortiz, Isan Diaz, Dubon

Fair?

That's a ton. Might be a bit too much from Brewer perspective. Substitute Nottingham for Dubon and include Villar and Guerra.

It's not like Villar and Guerra are high-priced vets that bring negative value. Why would you say it's too much to give up, then attach more?

Plus you are trading an above-average catcher and 5 of the team's top 10 prospects, including 4 Top 100 guys. I know the team has a deep system, but that one trade would decimate it. I like Yelich too, but not at that price. I don't think Realmuto is that much of an upgrade from Pina either.

Fair?

That's a ton. Might be a bit too much from Brewer perspective. Substitute Nottingham for Dubon and include Villar and Guerra.

It's not like Villar and Guerra are high-priced vets that bring negative value. Why would you say it's too much to give up, then attach more?

Plus you are trading an above-average catcher and 5 of the team's top 10 prospects, including 4 Top 100 guys. I know the team has a deep system, but that one trade would decimate it. I like Yelich too, but not at that price. I don't think Realmuto is that much of an upgrade from Pina either.

Maybe if Barraclough was also attached......

Fair?

Might be a ton from the Brewer perspective but it would not be enough from the Marlins perspective.

On top of that the Marlins would be looking for a MLB ready catching prospect (to back fill JT) & the Brewer package lacks that. While the Crew could add 1 of their 'guys' going back, none would match Mejia/ Carson Kelly/ Chance Sisco/ Jorge Alfaro..

On another note - if any of us were the GM of Marlins & looking to facilitate a rebuild - we would not put our best remaining assets together in 1 big package deal. We would deal guys separately to get greatest return. We would look to increase the market for each player we are trying to deal & that could increase the cost/ return on the asset.

I don't get the love for Yelich, Brewers already have a glut of OF, and Yelich stats not that great despite hitting in front of Stanton. Santana is a butcher in the field, but arguably has more upside as a hitter moving forward. I have to think that he's getting overrated in the advanced stats due to playing CF, where I doubt he'd be any better defensively than Broxton/Phillips.

I don't get the love for Yelich, Brewers already have a glut of OF, and Yelich stats not that great despite hitting in front of Stanton. Santana is a butcher in the field, but arguably has more upside as a hitter moving forward. I have to think that he's getting overrated in the advanced stats due to playing CF, where I doubt he'd be any better defensively than Broxton/Phillips.

Yelich's career numbers are better than anything Santana did prior to last year. His bat blows Broxton's out of the water. And at this point he's probably equal to or better than Braun. I really didn't think he was anything special either until I looked up his numbers. He's the high AVG, high OBP hitter this offense could really use and he's got 4 years of (albeit somewhat expensive) control left.

The Brewers would not have much of a glut if Phillips and Brinson went to the Marlins via trade, but there are A couple reasons for the interest:

-with all the team control yet he wouldn’t be a rental (same for JT)

-he’s available for trade on a good contract

-it would balance out the lineup as a lefty and as a lead off hitter (OBP)

Id actually prefer Caesar Hernandez since 2B is a need but I don’t think PHI matches up as well for a trade with an already crowded outfield for instance

Fair?

Might be a ton from the Brewer perspective but it would not be enough from the Marlins perspective.

On top of that the Marlins would be looking for a MLB ready catching prospect (to back fill JT) & the Brewer package lacks that. While the Crew could add 1 of their 'guys' going back, none would match Mejia/ Carson Kelly/ Chance Sisco/ Jorge Alfaro..

On another note - if any of us were the GM of Marlins & looking to facilitate a rebuild - we would not put our best remaining assets together in 1 big package deal. We would deal guys separately to get greatest return. We would look to increase the market for each player we are trying to deal & that could increase the cost/ return on the asset.

This has interesting trade idea.

You say a Catcher-thus why Pina is in that proposal.

Yelich would end up at CF. Id hope his defense can fill the in betweens Santana/Brauns. A lot of ground to cover.

Marlins get a CF/Corner OF combo in Phillips&Brinson. Pina at Catcher. A young SP and the middle infield prospect to replace at 2b/SS. It's a helluva matchup thats too kind to the Marlins. Both teams improve. Think this lineup-

Yelich

Braun

Santana

Shaw

Realmuto

1b

Castro

Arcia

Id even consider Braun to leadoff with Arcia on his days off. Yelich at 2. Youre looking at tougher outs from all 8 than last year.

Broxton as 4th OF is simple to place at Arcia'$ 8. And Id move everyone up a spot when Perez is in lineup. Castro/Villar good 7s.

The Prospect impact is maybe hurt in Dubon's Super Utility profile, but for OF/SP/2b factors youre good to go on that loss.

Archived