Brewer Fanatic

J.T. Realmuto

Eye Black

I know i'm probably in the minority, but i wouldn't trade Hiura for Realmuto straight up. That kid i think is going to be a special middle of the order hitter, secondbase is a need position, and he'll be dirt cheap for years, allowing money to be spent elsewhere..

I think there are more with you than you suspect. Hiura only goes if Realmuto is signing an extension if it were up to me. And since I think that's very unlikely, I'm betting on Keston getting the call to Milwaukee for a long enjoyable run starting in June.

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know i'm probably in the minority, but i wouldn't trade Hiura for Realmuto straight up. That kid i think is going to be a special middle of the order hitter, secondbase is a need position, and he'll be dirt cheap for years, allowing money to be spent elsewhere..

I think there are more with you than you suspect. Hiura only goes if Realmuto is signing an extension if it were up to me. And since I think that's very unlikely, I'm betting on Keston getting the call to Milwaukee for a long enjoyable run starting in June.

I'm with you!

Keep him!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Keston Hiura is a stud hitter, young and dirt cheap, I'd definitely won't trade him for anyone. To me, he's as untouchable as Hader and Burnes. Hiura will be manning the Brewers 2B for many years to come.

I would just like to point out that, at the time we traded for Yelich, some people were equally dismayed at giving up what we gave up at the time, and we've got a lot different perspective now.

I think I'm in the camp of, if you can get it done without Hiura and Burnes, go for it. If not, pass. As I said I think Peralta+Ray+Turang+Nottingham is probably the top offer I'd make and I think it's a fairly competitive one if the market doesn't end up being there for the Marlins to land a Robles/Tucker type.

At the end of the day though, the Astros have all the leverage here in this market. They can dangle either of Tucker or Whitley out there and if they do that you pretty much just have to bow out and look at other options.

If the Marlins would take that package for Realmuto I would be all for it. An opportunity to acquire Realmuto while keeping both Hiura and Burnes would be too tough to pass up, IMO.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I'm with you!

Keep him!

+1. KH is off the table..

MKE=MIA GM Discussion

DS- So what do you want for that catcher with only two years left on his contract?

MIA GM- Any trade will start with that 2B prospect.

DS- No can do, and don't ask for Burnes either both are off the table.

MIA GM- What about Peralta and Woodruff along with three other A+ or below guys?

DS- Sorry, you can have one of those pitchers, but not both. The three prospects we can work out.

MIA GM- Your killing me. Ill take Woodruff, Nottingham and Gatewood with those three prospects.

DS- I'm ok with that, but you need to also give me Adam Conley. Six for two is a pretty sweet deal. Tick tock.

MIA GM- Can't do Conley. What about Woodruff, Nottingham and Gatewood with two prospects?

DS- Woodruff, Nottingham and Gatewood with one prospects or add in Conley and get the three prospects.

MIA GM- Woodruff, Nottingham and Gatewood with two prospects.

DS- I gave you two great offers, just pick one.

MIA GM- Woodruff, Nottingham and Gatewood and Caden Lemons.

DS- Done

I would just like to point out that, at the time we traded for Yelich, some people were equally dismayed at giving up what we gave up at the time, and we've got a lot different perspective now.

I think I'm in the camp of, if you can get it done without Hiura and Burnes, go for it. If not, pass. As I said I think Peralta+Ray+Turang+Nottingham is probably the top offer I'd make and I think it's a fairly competitive one if the market doesn't end up being there for the Marlins to land a Robles/Tucker type.

At the end of the day though, the Astros have all the leverage here in this market. They can dangle either of Tucker or Whitley out there and if they do that you pretty much just have to bow out and look at other options.

If the Marlins would take that package for Realmuto I would be all for it. An opportunity to acquire Realmuto while keeping both Hiura and Burnes would be too tough to pass up, IMO.

I don't know that Ray is a fit for the Marlins or if Turang can be traded yet but in pure value I think Miami should be all over that offer. That is arguably more than we gave up for 5 years of Yellich. None of those guys are slam dunks but that is a ton of ceiling.

This article says Marlins asking for a high end pitching prospect and a position player. Speculates that Marlins would ask about top 2 Braves pitching and position prospects(Soroka,Wright,Riley, and Pache) but would be told no and would move to the next tier of prospects.

https://www.fishstripes.com/2018/11/7/18071862/braves-marlins-jt-realmuto-trade-offer-top-prospects-rumors

This article says Marlins asking for a high end pitching prospect and a position player. Speculates that Marlins would ask about top 2 Braves pitching and position prospects(Soroka,Wright,Riley, and Pache) but would be told no and would move to the next tier of prospects.

https://www.fishstripes.com/2018/11/7/18071862/braves-marlins-jt-realmuto-trade-offer-top-prospects-rumors

My guess if true, is similar to Peralta/Woodruff + Nottingham...but I assume the position player would be better. Maybe it's more like Peralta + Ray. If the pitching prospect is Soroka or Wright, Peralta/Woodruff probably doesn't quite match up on the pitching side. If it's Anderson, Toussaint, or Gohara...our guys would probably be favorable.

Again, all based on the report being true...which is no guarantee.

My guess if true, is similar to Peralta/Woodruff + Nottingham...but I assume the position player would be better. Maybe it's more like Peralta + Ray. If the pitching prospect is Soroka or Wright, Peralta/Woodruff probably doesn't quite match up on the pitching side. If it's Anderson, Toussaint, or Gohara...our guys would probably be favorable.

Again, all based on the report being true...which is no guarantee.

Yes if it is that second tier of prospects and only 2 of them it seems like the Brewers could get a competitive package together. Interesting the Brewers are not one of the teams mentioned as contacting the Marlins though.

Couple questions about JT in Kiley McDaniel's FG chat today & also sounds like he has a more in depth article on the topic dropping tomorrow...

Larry | So if the Marlins want a position player and pitcher from Atlanta for Realmuto, what does that look like? Riley and Soroka?

Kiley McDaniel | Those two probably make the most sense, and if you had to add a third piece, it wouldn't be much

Lazzaro Da Fietta | Dodgers' K. Ruiz and A. Verdugo to Marlins for Realmuto. Who says no?

Kiley McDaniel | I think LA says no and tries to get him for a little less, but they first need to find out if Grandal is taking the QO but that isn't way off

Just catching up, but saw this Craig Mish Tweet from earlier today. Craig usually has credible inside information when it comes specifically to the Marlins:

Sources indicate the Braves have a strong offer on the table for Marlins All Star Catcher J.T. Realmuto. MIA may prefer him dealt outside of NL East, but at this point team is operating as though a trade is likely to happen.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Just catching up, but saw this Craig Mish Tweet from earlier today. Craig usually has credible inside information when it comes specifically to the Marlins:

Sources indicate the Braves have a strong offer on the table for Marlins All Star Catcher J.T. Realmuto. MIA may prefer him dealt outside of NL East, but at this point team is operating as though a trade is likely to happen.

Yes at this point it just seems highly unlikely that we trade for him - since Braves can easily match/beat any of our offers. Which, since it appears that we would definitely be giving up Burnes or Hiura, is fine by me.

Yes at this point it just seems highly unlikely that we trade for him - since Braves can easily match/beat any of our offers. Which, since it appears that we would definitely be giving up Burnes or Hiura, is fine by me.

Agreed, when I read the Braves would refuse to give up their top prospects I thought it was good for the Brewers until I looked at their second tier of prospects. Sure we would could compete with a Woodruff/Peralta and Ray type offer but the Braves could top that without having to give up too much of their prospect depth. And really all of the big 3 pitchers and Hiura are needed here so I would rather look at other ways to improve the offense. I think I am over the Realmuto hope for now.

Agreed, when I read the Braves would refuse to give up their top prospects I thought it was good for the Brewers until I looked at their second tier of prospects. Sure we would could compete with a Woodruff/Peralta and Ray type offer but the Braves could top that without having to give up too much of their prospect depth. And really all of the big 3 pitchers and Hiura are needed here so I would rather look at other ways to improve the offense. I think I am over the Realmuto hope for now.

I wouldn't give up hope. It will depend on how the Marlins value these prospects, not how arbitrary 3rd party prospect rankers value them. Plus, we really have no idea how much value the Braves, or the Brewers, place on Realmuto. The Brewers definitely have the ammunition to get a deal done if they want to, and they determine that Realmuto is worth the cost. One thing the Brewers offer that the Braves do not is a set of upper-end prospects that are closer to Major League ready.

I wouldn't give up hope. It will depend on how the Marlins value these prospects, not how arbitrary 3rd party prospect rankers value them. Plus, we really have no idea how much value the Braves, or the Brewers, place on Realmuto. The Brewers definitely have the ammunition to get a deal done if they want to, and they determine that Realmuto is worth the cost. One thing the Brewers offer that the Braves do not is a set of upper-end prospects that are closer to Major League ready.

I've also accepted this as unlikely to happen. Just adding that along with upper tier prospects close to MLB we also have some actual MLB depth pieces if they had an interest in being "not embarrassingly bad" next year. So toss in a Davies type who can eat innings for them along with the real prospect package and maybe it helps. Of course I have no idea if they care at all about all the bad publicity of the last year or if they're fine just straight up tanking and being made fun of for another year.

I've also accepted this as unlikely to happen. Just adding that along with upper tie prospects close to MLB we also have some actual MLB depth pieces if they had an interest in being "not embarrassingly bad" next year. So toss in a Davies type who can eat innings for them along with the real prospect package and maybe it helps. Of course I have no idea if they care at all about all the bad publicity of the last year or if they're fine just straight up tanking and being made fun of for another year.

I honestly think it would be wise for the Marlins to deal with us for MLB pieces, or another team that has pieces available. I don't believe in this theory that any good player you have while rebuilding should automatically be traded, and try to time it so 12 prospects all hit the majors at once and you go from bad to good overnight. It just doesn't work that way. You have to incrementally increase your talent level. At the lowest point of our rebuild, we traded for Shaw and signed Thames. At the lowest point of the Astros rebuild, they signed Altuve to a big extension. Rizzo was in Chicago for 4 years before the team was any good. Acquiring controllable young talent doesn't exclusively mean prospects. You can look for solid guys like Shaw in trades, that still have a lot of team control.

Specific to the Marlins, they seem to lack pitching. Targeting someone like Anderson or Davies from us would be incredibly smart. Even if it isn't in a Realmuto deal, adding a controllable young starter would be a prudent move. It appears obvious that some of our current core SP will be pushed out of our rotation by some means to clear space for a couple of the big 3 young SP and Nelson(knock on wood 1,000 times).

Davies and Anderson would also fit their ballpark very well.

Honestly Davies feels like a glove like fit for them. Young, team control, limited upside but high floor, and there's probably some level of chance he could be extended for an extra year or two despite being a Boras client. And as you noted, flyball pitcher in a tough HR park. Anderson is similar, but more expensive and older. So a bit more risk with him.

JTR is going to be traded for an elite package of prospects. I am not saying the Brewers should or even could out bid that, but that is what he will go for.

Our bargain bin of Anderson, Jesus, Dubon, Nottingham, Broxton, etc etc isn’t getting a 4.8 WAR catcher.

Nobody has really said that. What we just talked about was putting one of those guys in addition to good prospects such as Peralta, Woodruff, Ray, etc or whoever they come up with as legit prospects they like. tossing on a MLB innings eater might be preferable to some low level flyerss like other teams will tack onto their package. For example, look at the Sale deal a few pages back. It was two top prospects, and two flyers who might never make the bigs. We're saying the Marlins might be better off taking Davies rather than those flyer types. Help them be a bit more respectable, if they do well,, trade them later too.

Right, I don't think anybody is trying to say Davies should headline a package for Realmuto. But would Davies have more value than Ponce as a 3rd or 4th piece? Without question. Davies probably could be a legit 2nd/3rd piece depending on the 1st piece. Look no further than us trading Thornburg for Shaw + Dubon + Pennington. Rebuilding, but took back a 25 year old at a position of need with upside. Davies also happens to be 25...

I would agree. They also have some players who could fill holes for the Marlins as well.

The highest I'd so would be Anderson, Aguilar, Nottingham, and Dubon for Realmuto.

I would agree. They also have some players who could fill holes for the Marlins as well.

The highest I'd so would be Anderson, Aguilar, Nottingham, and Dubon for Realmuto.

I wouldn't be able to accept that offer fast enough! I don't think that would do it, another team would beat that offer for certain.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived