Brewer Fanatic

J.T. Realmuto

Eye Black
We don’t have enough to land him without losing Hiura AND major pieces.

Hiura and burnes should basically be off limits. Both are too close to the majors and fill obvious holes.

I don’t disagree but to land the best catcher in the game at 27 and two years of control will require an elite prospect package.

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When will the Marlins want MLB ready players? I mean, they could get a couple top 100 prospects and change, but will they ever have any fans?

Brewers rebuilt quickly with guys like Shaw, Pina, Anderson, Davies, etc. Not world beaters, but provided a foundation to grow from. Why wouldn't the Marlins want to go that route? Brewers could trade some combination of players from a group of Aguilar, Thames, Pina, Nottingham, Santana, Broxton, Anderson, Davies, Guerra, Knebel, Jeffress, etc. Probably left out a couple. It's not sexy, and that's the problem. But they need to walk before they run, and adding a few of these guys would be a smart move for them. Yea, I know it's not happening though.

Yea that's what I brought up a while back. Anderson/Davies fit their park, Peralta is a legit prospect, Nottingham to replace JT. Start with those 3, then some lower level stuff to hopefully fill it out. I doubt they'd want Thames due to the money but sure I'd love that too, maybe you have to kick in a few millions dollars to alleviate it a bit. Doubt their too high on Santana since we just just gave two OF prospects last year, and their huge OF would be tough on D for him.

When will the Marlins want MLB ready players? I mean, they could get a couple top 100 prospects and change, but will they ever have any fans?

Brewers rebuilt quickly with guys like Shaw, Pina, Anderson, Davies, etc. Not world beaters, but provided a foundation to grow from. Why wouldn't the Marlins want to go that route? Brewers could trade some combination of players from a group of Aguilar, Thames, Pina, Nottingham, Santana, Broxton, Anderson, Davies, Guerra, Knebel, Jeffress, etc. Probably left out a couple. It's not sexy, and that's the problem. But they need to walk before they run, and adding a few of these guys would be a smart move for them. Yea, I know it's not happening though.

This is generally a good point. You aren't going to have 7 prospects all hit the majors in 1 year and all of a sudden go from a dreadful team to a playoff team. It just doesn't work that way. You have to incrementally work your talent level up.

This is a very good point. The Brewers may not have the upper-end (read arbitrary national Top 100) prospects that a team like the Braves does, but due to their incredible 40-man and upper minors roster depth, they can put together a package of young MLB-ready players that no other contending team can do. It's a matter, then, of if the Brewers want to sink much of that depth capital into one standout like Realmuto, or spread it out to fill several roster holes. I get the feeling that we are going to see a lot of movement from the Brewers this offseason regardless.

How many "Top 100" prospects a team can offer means next to nothing in the whole scheme of MLB player movement. Every team has its own prospect grading system, and while there are similarities, they are not all created equal. I think the Brewers have the prospect depth that will put them in play for any player on the trade market this offseason.

If it takes Hiura, Nottingham, Peralta, and another piece to get Realmuto, so be it. He's an elite catcher with tremendous skills across the board and might be the single best realistic way the Brewers could upgrade their roster this offseason. While he does only have 2 years left on his deal, the Brewers probably have the financial wherewithal to be able to extend him past that.

If it takes Hiura, Nottingham, Peralta, and another piece to get Realmuto, so be it. He's an elite catcher with tremendous skills across the board and might be the single best realistic way the Brewers could upgrade their roster this offseason. While he does only have 2 years left on his deal, the Brewers probably have the financial wherewithal to be able to extend him past that.

Agreed. You want arguably the best player at his position in his prime, you are going to have to give up your top prospect. Hiura, Nottingham and Peralta are exactly the three I was thinking of in terms of where I would expect Miami to start off with. The two years of control thing is what will likely give them pause.

Gruber Lawffices

Realmuto is about the only position player I may actually be okay with giving up Hiura for and it would still be tough. But, you would be getting a premium bat at a position where there are so few (if any). It might really be worth it for this team to take that next step.

I will say though if Realmuto is the only acquisition and we do not trade/sign other guys, then don't do it because he alone isn't bringing us to the promise land. We need bullpen depth badly if we are inserting Peralta/Burnes/Woody in the rotation.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I wonder how close Yelich and Realmuto were as teammates?

Not that he can control where he is traded...

I would think Yelich has talked up Milwaukee to JT if they are buddies.

They are close friends. I'm pretty sure Yelich was in Realmuto's wedding. He also lived with JT when they played in Miami. Both drafted in the same year and basically grew up together.

I wouldn't include Hiura in any package for Realmuto. Hiura's a perennial batting title type hitter and at a premium position. Realmuto is a good player who had a breakout year at age 27, who's likely in line for a 4-5 year deal at $15-20 mill annually after the 2020 season. I'd much rather see the Brewers pony up on a 2-year deal for Wilson Ramos and let Nottingham develop further, who I think is highly undervalued. Nottingham and Realmuto's minor league numbers are very similar, though one was thought of as a glove-first catcher and the other is thought of as being bat-first.

I wouldn't include Hiura in any package for Realmuto. Hiura's a perennial batting title type hitter and at a premium position. Realmuto is a good player who had a breakout year at age 27, who's likely in line for a 4-5 year deal at $15-20 mill annually after the 2020 season. I'd much rather see the Brewers pony up on a 2-year deal for Wilson Ramos and let Nottingham develop further, who I think is highly undervalued. Nottingham and Realmuto's minor league numbers are very similar, though one was thought of as a glove-first catcher and the other is thought of as being bat-first.

I agree that Nottingham is underrated and generally agree with not trading hiura for a 2 year rental. I think you generally underestimate what realmuto could fetch on the open market. Think Posey money if he stays at ceiling for 2more years. Massive if, but just saying that's a low contract.

I'll say again though, hiura is no longer our top prospect. It goes either burnes, hiura, peralta or burnes, peralta, hiura. Not a knock on hiura, just those other guys had a ton of success at the mlb level at a very young age and are pitchers. I would consider peralta in a package for realmuto, but I'd want a usable mlb caliber player included with realmuto. And it certainly wouldn't be peralta and ray and Nottingham.

I agree that Nottingham is underrated and generally agree with not trading hiura for a 2 year rental. I think you generally underestimate what realmuto could fetch on the open market. Think Posey money if he stays at ceiling for 2more years. Massive if, but just saying that's a low contract.

I'll say again though, hiura is no longer our top prospect. It goes either burnes, hiura, peralta or burnes, peralta, hiura. Not a knock on hiura, just those other guys had a ton of success at the mlb level at a very young age and are pitchers. I would consider peralta in a package for realmuto, but I'd want a usable mlb caliber player included with realmuto. And it certainly wouldn't be peralta and ray and Nottingham.

To each their own I guess. Personally, I think Hiura has a higher ceiling and floor than Peralta and around the same floor but a higher ceiling than Burnes. Regardless of that, for an organization that's had so little success developing quality arms, when these guys are at the precipice, it's hard to see them getting shipped out. A guy like Ray makes sense to move, but the Marlins have a pretty solid collection of OF prospects and now the Victor's.

To each their own I guess. Personally, I think Hiura has a higher ceiling and floor than Peralta and around the same floor but a higher ceiling than Burnes. Regardless of that, for an organization that's had so little success developing quality arms, when these guys are at the precipice, it's hard to see them getting shipped out. A guy like Ray makes sense to move, but the Marlins have a pretty solid collection of OF prospects and now the Victor's.

You kinda make my point though. Developing quality young arms is very difficult, not many teams have enough arms...while plenty of teams arguably have too many good OF prospects. I know 2b is a bit more demanding, but at the same time there are plenty of decent 2b options available in FA this offseason...while the reliable SP options will be few and far between. Young, controllable, quality SP is king and has the most value in baseball. If you look back at the deadline, how many of the trades included a top notch SP prospect? Both guys in the top 100 that were traded were position players.

I can understand putting Hiura higher than Peralta but not Burnes. It's arguable though because Peralta is so young and is much more likely to get better than get worse over the next few years. Burnes though isn't really debatable for me. That guy has frontline starter written all over him, so long as he can polish up either his change or curve. I'll take a frontline starter over an all-star 2b all day.

Tying that all back to Realmuto, I think either Hiura or Peralta being in that trade is a bit of a stretch. I believe the Marlins would have strong interest in either and would probably want Nottingham coming back as well. I would prefer to trade Peralta of the two if I had to as Hiura fits such an obvious hole for us. We could use the RH bat at 2b specifically...and have a bit of a rotation logjam. Peralta, Nottingham, and a low end project type like Herrera or Ward would be a pretty good offer...and if that isn't enough I would move on.

Is two years of player control considered a rental? Either way, I think if the Brewers were to trade for Realmuto, they'd be well aware of the potential cost of his next contract. By the time Realmuto needs a new contract, Braun will be off the books. The only way the trade happens, imo, is if they have a really good feeling they can resign Realmuto.

Is two years of player control considered a rental? Either way, I think if the Brewers were to trade for Realmuto, they'd be well aware of the potential cost of his next contract. By the time Realmuto needs a new contract, Braun will be off the books. The only way the trade happens, imo, is if they have a really good feeling they can resign Realmuto.

I'd say yes, albeit a long-term rental.

My thinking is to center the package for Realmuto around Nottingham and Aguilar, with Dubon as a throw-in.

Give the Marlins a Realmuto replacement, and add Aguilar as a major offensive piece. Dubon could give them a cheap shortstop.

Whoa, that is pretty much the absolute summit of his ceiling. The dude just wrapped up a .272 campaign at AA, though, so let’s pump the brakes a bit. I love the guy’s potential, too, but I think there could be some serious stockbroker on Black Monday levels of disappointment from some corners if he pans out as merely an above-average hitter at this point. Has everyone already forgotten the saga of Rickie Weeks? Can we at least let the poor kid get some more time in the high minors before we throw him a Roman triumph? He isn’t Vlad Jr. or anything.

The MLB.com Statcast Podcast this week outlined just how valuable a catcher with Realmuto’s skill set is not only offensively, but also defensively. They discussed the current dearth of offense among MLB catchers and speculated some reasons why.

They identified the following list as teams that should be attempting to acquire J.T. Realmuto this off-season:

Rays

Rockies

Red Sox

Astros

A’s

Angels

Braves

Nationals

Mets

Brewers

Diamondbacks

Dodgers

Phillies

I thought that list was pretty good overall. It also reinforces the idea that if the Brewers were serious about adding Realmuto there is going to be a lot of competition. If the Brewers decline to include Hiura as a headliner I think the Marlins will just move on to their other discussions. I will be surprised if the Marlins don’t get a perceived haul for two seasons of Realmuto.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The thing about Realmuto that is scary is that - like Christian Yelich - his offense has been suppressed by his home park.

Career OPS Home: .678

Career OPS Away: .848

Realmuto could be a .300 BA, 25 HR, .850 OPS hitter playing half his games at Miller Park.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Another note regarding the idea of trading for Realmuto. If he left after two years, we could give him a qualifying offer and get a comp pick in the next draft. That's assuming he keeps playing well and isn't hurt or anything like that.

It's not a huge deal - but it should probably be considered when talking about any such trade.

If I'm sitting in the Marlin's GM chair, I know I have a really valuable piece and would only be willing to move him at my price tag, not settle at all during the off-season. Even though technically he should lose 1/4 of his surplus value between now and the beginning of July, Realmuto would still be a confident "hold" for me, because with the need for catching, it is pretty likely at least one team would be willing to overpay once we get into July.

Yelich got his ticket out of Miami, obviously he doesn't work in a deal from either side (no sense for the Brewers to trade him, no sense for the Marlins to put him back in a situation he wouldn't like).

If Stearns gave me a call, the first thing I'd tell him is that either Hiura or Hader would likely need to be part of the deal. Without one of those two guys I just couldn't see a package from the Brewers that would make sense from my end. If those two are excluded, then we are talking about 4 pretty major pieces (Burnes + Woodruff + Turang + Ray).

If I'm sitting in the Marlin's GM chair, I know I have a really valuable piece and would only be willing to move him at my price tag, not settle at all during the off-season. Even though technically he should lose 1/4 of his surplus value between now and the beginning of July, Realmuto would still be a confident "hold" for me, because with the need for catching, it is pretty likely at least one team would be willing to overpay once we get into July.

Yelich got his ticket out of Miami, obviously he doesn't work in a deal from either side (no sense for the Brewers to trade him, no sense for the Marlins to put him back in a situation he wouldn't like).

If Stearns gave me a call, the first thing I'd tell him is that either Hiura or Hader would likely need to be part of the deal. Without one of those two guys I just couldn't see a package from the Brewers that would make sense from my end. If those two are excluded, then we are talking about 4 pretty major pieces (Burnes + Woodruff + Turang + Ray).

There is just a 0% chance that Stearns would make that trade, considering what we all know he values in his players. Which is why I don't think we end up with Realmuto, because I agree that Marlins will be holding out for a massive haul similar to what you proposed.

Thats very likely what it would take to land him. Broxton, Jesus, Anderson etc won’t get anything done with a JTR deal. Since Burnes and Woodruff would likely be our 3 and 4 starters at least to start the seasons of what we hope is a playoff team, I can’t see us making that deal.

Atlanta is supposedly in the mix and no one can beat their farm if they want to put the hammer down.

We heard last year from many posters that Yelich was a pipe dream and we have him now so ya just never know.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm sure that Miami would ask for that to begin with and I don't think we should do that, but I don't necessarily think we should just walk away after that ask, either. The market for Realmuto could be big, or maybe not. There are FA options available like Ramos and Grandal that a couple of potential suitors might look at first instead of Realmuto if they don't want to pay the prospect price. We know they were asking for a Robles quality prospect which is similar to Hiura in value, but no one was willing to give that in July or last year and I'm not sure why that will change now.

Thing is, regardless of what the Marlins feel Realmuto is worth, they are not in a very good position of leverage with him. Everyone knows he wants out, and they know he's not going to re-sign with them. So they have 2 years to get the best possible deal for him. No doubt, his peak value is right now. No matter what he does in 2019 for the most part, his value won't be higher next year with just 1 year of control remaining.

They can wait and see what happens between now and the trade deadline but they have very little to gain and a lot to lose if he gets hurt or has a down season.

Archived