Brewer Fanatic

J.T. Realmuto

Eye Black
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think everyone has made their position clear. Time to move back to Realmuto discussion.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Peralta is always going to be pretty inconsistent. He reminds me of late career K-Rod a lot. He'll always get guys to chase, but he'll need a lot of pitches and his command will come and go. I think I'd strongly consider including him with Hiura to get Realmuto, but only if they can get a serviceable starter to replace him in some other trade. His innings limit is also a slight concern in a pennant chase.

• 2 months later...
I was kicking around the other day a package starting with Peralta and Anderson. Anderson is cheap cost controlled and Miami will be the best ballpark for him. of course you'd have to come up with more to add but hopefully can come up with enough without giving up Keston or Ray.

No way am I trading Hiura for Realmuto since we need that bat at 2b so badly, and JT only has 2 years left. One of Peralta/Woodruff + Ray and Nottingham would be enticing. However, from what has been reported, seems like Miami is Top 30 prospect or bust.

I was actually just thinking about trying to figure out a package today as I was starting to play arm chair GM with offseason plans. I know Realmuto is at a point where he is in a league of his own as far as possibly available catchers. I wonder if Something like Aguilar, Ray, Brown and Nottingham might make sense for both teams? In Aguilar they have a semi-sure MLB player with lots of power, Ray is the high draft pick, high upside guy, Nottingham can step in as a replacement for Realmuto for the next 6 years and Brown is a pitching prospect with upside that has shown ability in the minors. Aguilar has the least control at 4 years from the deal. While I think other team could offer "higher" ranked prospect packages, I think this package is a safe bet for the Marlins and could truly work for both teams.

It's a bit wild how few of good catching options are out there, and how much better Realmuto is than most catchers in the game. The package that the Brewers should be offering...and the package that a big dollar payroll team likely offers...will be significantly different to the point that I don't think Realmuto is realistic for us. Dodgers make the most sense for Realmuto, but there are very few teams that won't check in on the cost and try to get him.

Oh man, I'm putzing through a marlins fan site. They are thinking vlad jr or Forest Whitley as a headliner, or else multiple top 50 types. These guys make even Cubs fans look intelligent...

Vlad Jr. is going to be a little much but I don't see Whitley as an outrageous ask for 2 cheap years of control over a 4+ WAR player at a very shallow position. They were asking for Robles during the season.

Realmuto is really, really good. I think we could get him, but Corey Ray plus some filler isn't going to get it done.

Oh man, I'm putzing through a marlins fan site. They are thinking vlad jr or Forest Whitley as a headliner, or else multiple top 50 types. These guys make even Cubs fans look intelligent...

Vlad Jr. is going to be a little much but I don't see Whitley as an outrageous ask for 2 cheap years of control over a 4+ WAR player at a very shallow position. They were asking for Robles during the season.

Realmuto is really, really good. I think we could get him, but Corey Ray plus some filler isn't going to get it done.

Agreed. Ray and filler won't.

But give them a replacement at catcher (Nottingham), add a shortstop (Dubon), and now the only question is if you can't get them to accept Thames over Aguilar as the third piece.

I am a big fan of Realmuto, but I think at this point for the offer to not include Hiura it would have to be headlined by Corbin Burnes with probably two other good prospects also included.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

I am a big fan of Realmuto, but I think at this point for the offer to not include Hiura it would have to be headlined by Corbin Burnes with probably two other good prospects also included.

Agreed. Hiura or a combo of Burnes, Peralta, Woodruff+ tier 2 prospects. Honestly, I would be on the fence about trading Hiura and wouldn't be willing to trade more than 1 pitching prospect in the other scenario.

I love Hiura, but it's darn near impossible to find a serviceable catcher. If you can find a two-way catcher that is in his prime and controllable, I'm listening...

The main problem with Realmuto potentially being shopped is that there will be a lot of suitors that have more to offer at this time than the Brewers do. I'm sure ATL, PHI, HOU, or LA would be willing to unload some prospects for him.

According to RosterResource.com (https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-miami-marlins/), Miami's needs include: Starting pitching, a shortstop, a first baseman, and a closer.

The key for the Crew is to fill two of those needs, and the Crew has an edge in that they can offer Miami a MLB-ready replacement for Realmuto in Jacob Nottingham.

So, have Nottingham in the trade.

Mauricio Dubon would fill Miami's need for a shortstop.

So, two MLB-ready prospects, one of whom fills a need.

Then the Crew has the option of including either Jesus Aguilar or Eric Thames to fill Miami's need for a first baseman. Probably Aguilar.

No need to give up a pitching prospect.

Then, the hard part is seeing if Realmuto will sign an extension to stay in Milwaukee for three more years on top of the two he's signed for.

Dubon-screams AAAAplayer and that was before injury, he hasnt played after yet. I dont see Milw putting up a package that beats other teams. Trading Hiura is a sideways move with his future at 2b with cheap team control. Trust in the youth. We should have been in the WS had Jeffress pitched like he did all season prior. Let Coles "resign", Arciavs postseason improvement, a full off season to make a move affecting the team. Trust in Stearns to pull Iiff something

I wonder how close Yelich and Realmuto were as teammates?

Not that he can control where he is traded...

I would think Yelich has talked up Milwaukee to JT if they are buddies.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Whitley isn't as outrageous but still not happening. The Marlins can ask for whoever they want, doesn't mean it's going to happen. And vlad looks like a future MVP, there are like 5 guys in the whole league the blue Jays would consider trading him for.

I'll agree ray plus filler isn't enough. I would consider ray and peralta as the leading players if we tried getting involved, I just feel like someone else will beat that offer. And I'm not interested in trading hiura or burnes

Realmuto is a much better defensive catcher than Grandal. Realmuto is basically the equivalent to prime-years Lucroy both offensively and defensively. A little more power sacrificing average. That power would play up in Miller Park too.

As a catcher, Realmuto is a special player. It's going to cost a haul to get him, and I'd give up that haul.

When will the Marlins want MLB ready players? I mean, they could get a couple top 100 prospects and change, but will they ever have any fans?

Brewers rebuilt quickly with guys like Shaw, Pina, Anderson, Davies, etc. Not world beaters, but provided a foundation to grow from. Why wouldn't the Marlins want to go that route? Brewers could trade some combination of players from a group of Aguilar, Thames, Pina, Nottingham, Santana, Broxton, Anderson, Davies, Guerra, Knebel, Jeffress, etc. Probably left out a couple. It's not sexy, and that's the problem. But they need to walk before they run, and adding a few of these guys would be a smart move for them. Yea, I know it's not happening though.

Archived