Brewer Fanatic

J.T. Realmuto

Eye Black
  • Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Marlins have their own scouts, it's not like Stearns hoodwinked them or anything. If Brinson were still a Brewer we would be hoping for improvement, saying he is still young, citing his tools, etc. If even one of those guys becomes a big time stud or an allstar during a window the Marlins are actually going for it, the trade becomes worth it to them.

Thinking that Realmuto is going to take a BIG package to get. Hiura, Ray, Peralta and pick of Ortiz/Ponce/Supak. That's a lot to give up, but someone like Realmuto, Degrom or Madbum is probably worth it. Truly an "all in" move.

Marlins aren't dealing with the Brewers so soon after the Yelich trade....

You’re calling a trade for 4 prospects a win/loss after 4 months?

Lol

Did I call this a win long term? Just might be gun shy short term. Keep laughing.

It just doesn’t work that way.

How does it work GM?

My opinion is that the Marlins might be gun shy dealing with the Brewers so soon after a trade with not the best results on 3 of the 4 prospects (yet).... human nature.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

How does it work GM?

My opinion is that the Marlins might be gun shy dealing with the Brewers so soon after a trade with not the best results on 3 of the 4 prospects (yet).... human nature.

If you would have said "might" in your original post, it would make more sense. But you didn't, and your post sounded definitive. And it brought the response that it did because GMs don't operate that way. The only time to see anything like that happen is if a team pulls something shady, like what Alderson did with the Mets in the Gomez deal a few years ago.

How does it work GM?

Since you had two responses to me, even though one is condescending, I’ll respond.

You speak on human nature but only give one side of it. Maybe the Marlins GM is actually ticked about the Yelich trade and wants to try to do better this to around? Gamblers addiction syndrome. These guys all have pride and maybe he wants it back. And if that silliness isn’t enough...

It could just be that the Brewers offer him a package of players that he thinks will help their rebuild and they make a deal, you know, because he has a job to do.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Trading is not personal. You win some, you lose some, and it's way too early to call the trade a loss for Miami.

DS hasn't made too many bad trades, but if you want to call the Will Smith trade a bad one, it would be like not dealing with the Giants because of that. Or the Rangers not dealing Jeffress back to us last year because they got burned when they traded him to us in the Lucroy deal.

These guys are professionals, and the day they won't deal with someone because it ended up being a bad trade in the past is probably the day they're done.

I'd be surprised if the Marlins GM has written of a futures prospect heavy trade as terrible after 3 months. His hand was forced to make a trade and get prospects back, that's his job and now he has to see what happens with the guys. As one of the few here who was low on Brinson, I thought we'd come out ahead on it from the get go. But he can't be holding a grudge after 3 months when he agreed to it, we did nothing shady or lied about anything, etc.

How does it work GM?

If you would have said "might" in your original post, it would make more sense. But you didn't, and your post sounded definitive. And it brought the response that it did because GMs don't operate that way. The only time to see anything like that happen is if a team pulls something shady, like what Alderson did with the Mets in the Gomez deal a few years ago.

"GMs don't operate that way" sounds definitive.

Can you name any two blockbuster deals by the same GMs in a 7 month window?

Given that the odds of a trade being with any team is essentially 1 out of 29 and any team having two blockbuster trades in a 7 month window with any of them would be a pretty rare occurence, exactly how common would you think that scenario would be?

If we are considering something like Machado deal to be a blockbuster, they are rare and as such it would be unlikely that two teams would make such a trade in such a short time frame. I don't think it has much to do with a GM being gun shy. Having said that, I could see a GM being wary if a guy showed up with some unreported injury. If the prospects you scouted and asked for underperform that's not really on the other team....that's on you.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

How does it work GM?

No need for this. Please refrain from these condescending add ons in the future. Thanks.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

If we are considering something like Machado deal to be a blockbuster, they are rare and as such it would be unlikely that two teams would make such a trade in such a short time frame. I don't think it has much to do with a GM being gun shy. Having said that, I could see a GM being wary if a guy showed up with some unreported injury. If the prospects you scouted and asked for underperform that's not really on the other team....that's on you.

The Brewers made a trade for a white sox reliever in back to back years, and Cordell certainly did not pan out for the White Sox. Those aren't exactly blockbusters, but in fairness how many teams make more than 1 blockbuster trade with 2 different teams in a 7 month window?

Given that the odds of a trade being with any team is essentially 1 out of 29 and any team having two blockbuster trades in a 7 month window with any of them would be a pretty rare occurence, exactly how common would you think that scenario would be?

Extremely rare! For your reasoning and mine...

That's why I said, "Marlins aren't dealing with the Brewers so soon after the Yelich trade"...

That's why I said, "Marlins aren't dealing with the Brewers so soon after the Yelich trade"...

But you said it in terms of a GM being too upset after the first trade. It’s just not probably what happens between these GMs. They’re out to get the best package they feel is right. If the Marlins actually are shopping him, which doesn’t sound to actually be happening, than the Brewers could get him if they offer the best package.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

But it's not out of some principle thing as you implied. It's out of odds and scenarios aligning twice so quickly is very very rare. A team dumping off their entire roster because they're idiots is such a scenario that could lead to it though. Essentially, it's not like the Marlins aren't talking to MKE because they just did a deal with us as the initial post implied. It's just unlikely the stars align twice so quickly and that we have the best offer twice in that short of a span.

If the prospects you scouted and asked for underperform that's not really on the other team....that's on you.

The thing about the Marlins is that they're a very new regime and they haven't had much time to scout anyone. I mean, it's probably not a big issue now, but I could see it being a factor with the Yelich trade. Brinson was a consensus top prospect but I think the front office and fans who saw him every day might have seen some red flags that you might not notice if you're not around him every day.

If I was a Marlins fan, I would certainly not want my unproven front office to deal with the Brewers because I would be fairly certain the Brewers are going to take advantage of them. I doubt the front office feels that way, but if the Brewers are trading a top prospect, you have to wonder if there's something wrong with him that another team wouldn't know about it (not an injury, but a subtle reason he's not going to be as good as his rating). A normal person would have some self-doubt when dealing with the Brewers after gifting them Yelich, but a lot of people in that business are probably over-confident in their abilities.

Bottom line, it probably doesn't matter to Miami's front office, but if I was a Marlins fan, I would be very worried about them talking to the Brewers (if they are). Heck, I would be worried about it if I was almost any other team's fan in a high stakes trade.

But it's not out of some principle thing as you implied. It's out of odds and scenarios aligning twice so quickly is very very rare. A team dumping off their entire roster because they're idiots is such a scenario that could lead to it though. Essentially, it's not like the Marlins aren't talking to MKE because they just did a deal with us as the initial post implied. It's just unlikely the stars align twice so quickly and that we have the best offer twice in that short of a span.

My opinion is that some GMs might not be willing to make two big, possibly bad trades with the same team in such a small period of time. It would magnify their mistake so they shy away from initiating talk/dialogue with that team. Opinion. You may disagree, but I'm pretty sure you can't tell me I'm wrong unless you have talked to all the GMs.

Archived