Brewer Fanatic

J.T. Realmuto

Eye Black
So how do we legitimately improve our offense? Does anyone really think Brian Dozier is the missing link?

I am in the hold tight this year unless a deal too good to pass up comes up.

Next year:

2B - Huira is here; sign one of the 10+ FA vets as a backup plan (there should be a very good market for buyers given the number of players available).

C - target Wilson Ramos/Yasmani Grandal in FA, or bring up Nottingham and go with Pina/Nottingham.

SS - Arcia with backups waiting if Arcia can't hit still. Arcia's defense would be enough if we can get a bump from Huira and catcher.

LF/1B - rotate Aguilar/Thames/Braun with Braun the odd man out when Aguilar/Thames are healthy.

I'm a fan of Nottingham down the line and the idea that if nothing else, he should be a low OBP/high power guy, but I am not sure if Nottingham is going to be much of an improvement on offense the rest of this year or next year over what we've gotten out of Pina, et al.

You have to play him at some point to find out.

Other than playing in the batting average paradise of Colorado Springs, his numbers do not lend me to believe that he's going to be much more than a high-K/low average guy early on. He could be better than Pina, but he'd be a similar type of hitter early on.

You're right that you have to play him to find out, but if your goal is "improving the offense" - then he's not someone I'm betting on to be that good in 2019. That said, I'm completely fine giving him the job. There's a chance that his power/OBP is good enough or that he surprises.

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Realmuto should be off the table unless we open the pocketbook immediately on trade and are able to lock him up for about 4 years (total). That would get us to the age where we should let him walk, as well as the back end of Yelich and Cain's contracts. I don't see a point to trading such a package for a guy that will be here for only half of our window.

For that reason (extension and prospect value) I think we should be passing on it unless their demands come down. And no, I am far from a prospect hugger.

I would think that Realmuto would be willing to stay with Milwaukee. We should be competitive for the next 4+ years, and playing with one of his best friends in Yelich can't hurt the situation either.

Except I’m not. The argument that we’re only looking at this year doesn’t apply when we are talking about getting a guy that will be here two additional years. Realmuto helps immediately this year but also helps next year, when, assuming my proposal is accepted, you also have Hiura and you can maybe add a reliever as opposed to paying Grandal. The rotation has plenty of options both for next year and down the road. I don’t like the idea of giving up Burnes but I’m also not convinced he’s in the rotation next year because we have too many other veteran options.

Last year we desperately needed pitching and we passed. This year we desperately need hitting. I hope we don’t pass again.

I don't think you get Realmuto without one (and maybe both) of Hiura and Burnes. Agree to disagree but I'm all but certain Realmuto will not be a Brewer.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

So how do we legitimately improve our offense? Does anyone really think Brian Dozier is the missing link?

Next year:

2B - Huira is here; sign one of the 10+ FA vets as a backup plan (there should be a very good market for buyers given the number of players available).

C - target Wilson Ramos/Yasmani Grandal in FA, or bring up Nottingham and go with Pina/Nottingham.

SS - Arcia with backups waiting if Arcia can't hit still. Arcia's defense would be enough if we can get a bump from Huira and catcher.

LF/1B - rotate Aguilar/Thames/Braun with Braun the odd man out when Aguilar/Thames are healthy.

I'm a fan of Nottingham down the line and the idea that if nothing else, he should be a low OBP/high power guy, but I am not sure if Nottingham is going to be much of an improvement on offense the rest of this year or next year over what we've gotten out of Pina, et al.

He's much better all around than Kratz. We really could use 2017 Pina right about now though. I've also noticed Bandy is looking pretty good in AAA, we definitely need to get rid of Kratz immediately...whether it's for Realmuto or an internal option.

I'll bet Kratz could put up the batting line that Bandy is putting up in CS. I think my only role on this board is to temper expectations on non-MLB caliber hitters raking in Colorado Springs and the PCL at large.

If I'm reading the tea leaves right, I don't really see that as an option. Stearns basically told Haudricourt yesterday that he sees the 2018 Brewers as a playoff team, and he was planning on finding ways to improve the team to get them there. That is pretty much the opposite of "hold tight" in my opinion. It doesn't necessarily mean he's going to make a bunch of blockbusters, either, but it was interesting hearing his thoughts on the team nonetheless.

Now, it could mean minor deals for rentals like Dozier, Tucker Barnhart and Tyson Ross, but that would seem like a bit of a letdown after being in the Machado sweepstakes up until the end. I mean, that's how it could go, but I would say there are better odds that they make a big move than not. I think that a big move is a matter of when, and for who, than a matter of if.

He also said there are certain prospects he isn't giving up. I don't know what major acquisition you are going to make without your top prospects being involved. He also made similar comments after Cain/Yelich and everyone and their mother thought he would add pitching. That didn't happen either. You may see smaller scale additons but Machado was this years Quintana.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If I'm reading the tea leaves right, I don't really see that as an option. Stearns basically told Haudricourt yesterday that he sees the 2018 Brewers as a playoff team, and he was planning on finding ways to improve the team to get them there. That is pretty much the opposite of "hold tight" in my opinion. It doesn't necessarily mean he's going to make a bunch of blockbusters, either, but it was interesting hearing his thoughts on the team nonetheless.

Now, it could mean minor deals for rentals like Dozier, Tucker Barnhart and Tyson Ross, but that would seem like a bit of a letdown after being in the Machado sweepstakes up until the end. I mean, that's how it could go, but I would say there are better odds that they make a big move than not. I think that a big move is a matter of when, and for who, than a matter of if.

He also said there are certain prospects he isn't giving up. I don't know what major acquisition you are going to make without your top prospects being involved. He also made similar comments after Cain/Yelich and everyone and their mother thought he would add pitching. That didn't happen either. You may see smaller scale additons but Machado was this years Quintana.

This system is way more than three players deep. The Dodgers put a package together without giving up any of their top three, and I don't have much doubt that the Brewers can as well. Just because the Orioles front office is too short sighted to see value in anyone other than Burnes or Peralta, doesn't mean there aren't other teams that don't.

This system is way more than three players deep. The Dodgers put a package together without giving up any of their top three, and I don't have much doubt that the Brewers can as well. Just because the Orioles front office is too short sighted to see value in anyone other than Burnes or Peralta, doesn't mean there aren't other teams that don't.

I guess that comes down to what you consider an "impact" player to be then. I (perhaps mistakenly) was under the impression you didn't think a rental like Dozier was an impact addition. Realmuto isn't coming here without either Burnes or Hiura in the deal and DS isn't giving up either.

I guess that comes down to what you consider an "impact" player to be then. I (perhaps mistakenly) was under the impression you didn't think a rental like Dozier was an impact addition. Realmuto isn't coming here without either Burnes or Hiura in the deal and DS isn't giving up either.

I think you are probably correct regarding the players who Stearns has deemed off limits. I think we differ, though, when it comes to the strength of the rest of the top of the system and the individual value of those players.

Next year:

I agree with that plan.

Braun will/should play 120 games for the next 2 years if he doesn't have a significant injury. He's hit into some bad luck for parts of this year and the last month or 2 last year...but he's one of our best hitters. Until Jesus's breakout, he was our very best hitter...at this point I think Jesus might be better, but so many on this board wildly underestimate Braun's ability when healthy.

If Braun is one of our best hitters that certainly explains our offensive struggles this year.

Cain, Yelich, Aguilar, Shaw, and Thames are all better hitters than Braun currently and he shouldn't play over any of the above even when healthy. Yes, he's had some bad luck this year but he's also near career highs in K rate and career lows in walks.

"When healthy" is also a pointless addition to any statement about Braun since "when healthy" is never, at least not for more than a few days at a time.

Braun will get hot for a week or two, then struggle for a week and wind up on the DL. It's where he's at. We keep waiting for him to suddenly turn back the clock and miraculously be fully healthy and productive and as we've learned the last 2 seasons that is not happening. He is done.

I don't think it was clear whether he meant there's certain guys he won't trade at all, or certain guys he won't trade for Machado. I believe it's the latter. Stearns is all about value and is too smart to just take guys off the table completely.

I don't think it was clear whether he meant there's certain guys he won't trade at all, or certain guys he won't trade for Machado. I believe it's the latter. Stearns is all about value and is too smart to just take guys off the table completely.

I don't know. The way I read that quote says to me there are guys off the table in any deal. Of course, that can change depending on who's available I suppose.

Yah, definitely was just referring to trading them for Machado. If we are getting deGrom, Syn, JT Realmuto etc. Burnes/Peralta would be thrown onto the table no questions asked.

Hiura is a bit of a toss up. He could be off the table for virtually anyone available at the deadline. Minus the three above (possibly)

The thing is, even as good as Hiura is, and as sure as he feels, I sometimes think we forget that he isn't a sure thing. I think the injury concerns that some have are fair. Some have already anointed him a star, but he's not. He could be a star, or he could be an injury riddled bust. More likely than probably either is him turning out to be a modestly above average 2B, maybe .290/.350/.400 with average defense.

I guess it would depend on both how sold we are on that star ceiling and how concerned we are about him sticking at 2B.

I personally would be okay trading him for Realmuto who is already a star at his position and somewhat controlled, but I can understand why others wouldn't.

It is far easier to find hitters than starting pitchers, look no further than the Brewers current roster: Aguilar--wavier claim, Shaw--trade for relief pitcher, Thames--foreign league free agent.

I wouldn't hesitate to trade any of the hitters in the Brewers system if the right deal came along (middle of the order hitter or Front line Starter), but the Brewers live and die on their ability to draft and develop starting pitching. Therefore I cannot blame them for a refusal to trade Burnes, Peralta or Woodruff. It's smart, and shows the organization has learned from the failings of Doug Melvin who failed to consistently draft and develop starting pitching and traded most of what little he had away.

If Braun is one of our best hitters that certainly explains our offensive struggles this year.

Cain, Yelich, Aguilar, Shaw, and Thames are all better hitters than Braun currently and he shouldn't play over any of the above even when healthy. Yes, he's had some bad luck this year but he's also near career highs in K rate and career lows in walks.

"When healthy" is also a pointless addition to any statement about Braun since "when healthy" is never, at least not for more than a few days at a time.

Braun will get hot for a week or two, then struggle for a week and wind up on the DL. It's where he's at. We keep waiting for him to suddenly turn back the clock and miraculously be fully healthy and productive and as we've learned the last 2 seasons that is not happening. He is done.

Braun is 1st or 2nd on the team in avg exit velocity, barrel %, etc (he's #36 in MLB in avg exist velocity) this year while having a career low BABIP (25-30pts lower than last year) and 70-100pts lower than Yelich/Cain/Aguilar. You'd know he's hit into a lot more than *some* bad luck this year if you'd objectively watch a game since you've said as much this year that you don't like him at all. He has a 7% BB rate and 21% K rate - while you're correct they're near lows/highs in career lets not pretend that they're bad (the reason you didn't actually cite the numbers is because they're not bad nor alarming). I'm sure your dislike for Braun has always factored into anything you say about him because it's rare if anything positive comes out of your mouth about him. When he was getting 550+ PA (2015/2016) you and most others on here were still calling him a glass house so it really doesn't matter how many PAs he gets or how many games he plays because that drum will always have a beat.

We've learned the last 2yrs that Braun isn't productive? Have we? I just mentioned above about how well he's actually swung the bat this year regardless of what his slash line says. And last year he had a 110 wrc+ with a 823 OPS with a career low (at that point) BABIP and statcast evidence he was unlucky as well but definitely not as unlucky as this year. In the meantime, last year, your golden boy Yelich had a 115 wrc+ with a 808 OPS and 45pt higher BABIP. Keep on keepin on though...

Braun is 1st or 2nd on the team in avg exit velocity, barrel %, etc (he's #36 in MLB in avg exist velocity) this year while having a career low BABIP (25-30pts lower than last year) and 70-100pts lower than Yelich/Cain/Aguilar. You'd know he's hit into a lot more than *some* bad luck this year if you'd objectively watch a game since you've said as much this year that you don't like him at all. He has a 7% BB rate and 21% K rate - while you're correct they're near lows/highs in career lets not pretend that they're bad (the reason you didn't actually cite the numbers is because they're not bad nor alarming). I'm sure your dislike for Braun has always factored into anything you say about him because it's rare if anything positive comes out of your mouth about him. When he was getting 550+ PA (2015/2016) you and most others on here were still calling him a glass house so it really doesn't matter how many PAs he gets or how many games he plays because that drum will always have a beat.

We've learned the last 2yrs that Braun isn't productive? Have we? I just mentioned above about how well he's actually swung the bat this year regardless of what his slash line says. And last year he had a 110 wrc+ with a 823 OPS with a career low (at that point) BABIP and statcast evidence he was unlucky as well but definitely not as unlucky as this year. In the meantime, last year, your golden boy Yelich had a 115 wrc+ with a 808 OPS and 45pt higher BABIP. Keep on keepin on though...

Wells, donts know bout all dem fancy numbers but I's do know he hurt..........again and ain't producin no good production (less words, I win).

Serioulsy though, looking at the numbers a little deeper it looks like he is being challenged a little bit more by pitchers and that he is swinging and missing a bit more. He still hits the ball hard when he hits it, he just isn't hitting as many. When I, you know, objectively watch a game, it looks like his bat is slowing down and I think the numbers say the same. I don't know how you question his lack of durability at this point. He was great and all but he's getting old. It happens to the best of 'em.

Waiting on him finding a new fountain of youth a la 2011!!

This guy threw at his own son in a father son game

Man can we stop with Ryan Braun’s hard hit %? Yah, he has gotten unlucky...no doubt. That doesn’t let you ignore all the other stats pointing to him being worse than last year whether a few more balls drop or not. He is still not great on defense (no a few diving catches doesn’t change that), he is still crippled, his walk rate is down, his K-rate is up, he looks worse at the plate, chases balls 10 feet outside...I could go on.

If you are feeling generous you could probably say he has been inbetween this year and last. A grand ole average with the bat and the defense adds nothing.

Ryan Braun is not going to help this offense unless he just gets hot at the right time...which any of our other average to below average players we are loaded with could do also. So not really saying much.

Here's a guess as to what it would take to get Realmuto:

Hiura

Woodruff

Ortiz (alternative: Brett Phillips)

Payton Henry (alternative: Jacob Nottingham)

This package allows us to hold onto Burnes and Peralta. What I'm offering is similar in scope to the Yelich deal - but not quite as much. Realmuto only comes with 2.4 years of control, while Yelich had five years.

As for the Marlins, despite having Isan Diaz in the minors (who just moved up to AAA), I'm guessing they would be happy to have Hiura as a centerpiece of any deal, especially with Diaz's mediocre play.

Woodruff can slide into the rotation now. Ortiz is probably a year or so behind him. Outside of Sandy Alcantara, Miami lacks good pitching prospects in the upper minors, so these two guys fit right into their area of need.

The Marlins also lack any decent catching prospects, so Henry is a nice longer term asset. Jacob Nottingham would be an alternative here, especially if you need to sweeten the pot to get the deal done.

This is just a guess on my part. I might be over valuing Woodruff and Ortiz, but I think I'm okay on my assessments.

PS - I'm not necessarily advocating this type of deal. Just playing at what I think it would take to make this happen. 6+ years of Hiura is a tough, tough thing to surrender.

Hiura

Woodruff

This package allows us to hold onto Burnes and Peralta. What I'm offering is similar in scope to the Yelich deal - but not quite as much. Realmuto only comes with 2.4 years of control, while Yelich had five years.

As for the Marlins, despite having Isan Diaz in the minors (who just moved up to AAA), I'm guessing they would be happy to have Hiura as a centerpiece of any deal, especially with Diaz's mediocre play.

Woodruff can slide into the rotation now. Ortiz is probably a year or so behind him. Outside of Sandy Alcantara, Miami lacks good pitching prospects in the upper minors, so these two guys fit right into their area of need.

The Marlins also lack any decent catching prospects, so Henry is a nice longer term asset. Jacob Nottingham would be an alternative here, especially if you need to sweeten the pot to get the deal done.

This is just a guess on my part. I might be over valuing Woodruff and Ortiz, but I think I'm okay on my assessments.

PS - I'm not necessarily advocating this type of deal. Just playing at what I think it would take to make this happen. 6+ years of Hiura is a tough, tough thing to surrender.

If the Marlins are willing to trade Realmuto, that's an offer they should take - put it in the Manny Machado category, it's a good, fair offer - the Marlins take it, or somebody beats it.

Hiura

Woodruff

I make that deal every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Archived