Brewer Fanatic

J.T. Realmuto

Eye Black
Realmuto has one more year of control than Lucroy and is most certainly considered the better player. While we all love JJ here, to the outside world he was little more than a thrown in like most non elite "closers"

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Realmuto has one more year of control than Lucroy and is most certainly considered the better player. While we all love JJ here, to the outside world he was little more than a thrown in like most non elite "closers"

Jeffress was absolutely not a "little more than a throw-in". The relievers at the deadline had insane value. Smith brought back Bickford (Top 60) and Susac (AAA/MLB) and he had the same cheap control with an extra year (33 innings) of good experience but Jeffress had 27 saves the year traded. Both similar type production.

The only way Miami is getting (3) Top 100 is some team is beyond desperate and massively overpays.

And I noted Realmuto's extra year of experience. I also noted Lucroy had a much better track record as 4 of his previous 5yrs were better than anything Realmuto's done up to this point. How is that negated?

Loasiga is a borderline top 100 guy, probably more comparable to Peralta than Sheffield is, who can throw 98 and could probably move right into the Mets rotation himself.

So because Loasiga has had some success through 4 starts at the MLB level thus far he's similar to Peralta? Loasiga turned 23 in the offseason and started the year in A+ (at age level) and just got bumped up to AA recently getting rocked there in 6 starts before being called up. He no doubt is talented and has potential. But in the meantime, Peralta started the season at age 21 and was destroying AAA and has been even better than Loasiga at the MLB level through 5 starts (in which he turned 22).

Peralta is a Top 50 easily. If he's similar to anyone it's Sheffield (Top 40-45ish).

Jeffress was absolutely not a "little more than a throw-in". The relievers at the deadline had insane value. Smith brought back Bickford (Top 60) and Susac (AAA/MLB) and he had the same cheap control with an extra year (33 innings) of good experience but Jeffress had 27 saves the year traded. Both similar type production.

The only way Miami is getting (3) Top 100 is some team is beyond desperate and massively overpays.

And I noted Realmuto's extra year of experience. I also noted Lucroy had a much better track record as 4 of his previous 5yrs were better than anything Realmuto's done up to this point. How is that negated?

Regarding the Lucroy trade, it was basically Lucroy for Brinson and Jeffress for Ortiz. Cordell was an added piece to even out the deal a bit. Jeffress at the time was more valuable than Smith, and Smith's return was noted. That all said, Realmuto is more valuable than Lucroy. You are talking about giving up a top 25, top 50, and top 80 roughly prospect for Realmuto when Lucroy only got a top 30ish and we'll say half of the cordell return. And Brinson at the time was coming off injury and struggling in AA with Texas...so his stock was definitely down and probably not up to a top 30 as he was noted. Hiura in general is going to be more highly valued because he's a very safe bet to be at minimum a decent regular with a very good chance to have an all-star upside at a middle infield spot. Point being, Hiura for Realmuto alone is probably not something we should do...much less adding Peralta+ to the deal.

I generally think Peralta isn't getting enough credit as a prospect. He compares very favorably to Sheffield, who is a top 50 prospect. I would rather have Peralta than Sheffield if given the choice.

My comparison of Florial to Broxton was moreso tools. Florial is much more likely to become Broxton at best than some 5 tool super star. I really don't think that dude is gonna hit, and all the tools in the world doesn't matter in baseball if you can't hit.

I’d love to have Realmuto because Pina has infact been “that bad”. I don’t think I would trade Hiura for him. I like Hiura a lot and I’m not giving him in a package unless it is DeGrom/Syn.

I don't like that trade at all. By no means am I a keep Hiura at all costs guy, but Peralta has been pretty good himself. Maybe if it was Ortiz or something then yes, but i'm not parting with Hiura and Peralta for a catcher with a couple years control & then a date with big market mania if i'm GM.

So here’s the question; how valuable a prospect is Peralta in trade capital? Is he is guy who has been a legitimate 1/2 or is he a short RHP who throws low 90’s w/o a true wipe out arsenal?

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-trade-rumors-marlins-wont-deal-j-t-realmuto-unless-theyre-blown-away-by-an-offer/

Pass on JT if the Marlins are going to ask for more than the moon. He'd be an impact add at a position of need, but I'm not willing to empty the top of a solid farm system to acquire him.

They can say that all they want, it doesn't necessarily make it true. Probably more posturing than anything.

Regarding Peralta's value, it's definitely fair to question his value to other teams. Some teams may be turned off by him being a short pitcher. I know Sheffield is LH, but I view these guys as fairly similar considering stuff/results to this point. Peralta has a touch less velocity but makes up for it with his release point and deceptive delivery...the type of thing that doesn't show up in grades on top prospect lists. I doubt we include him in a deal unless he's viewed by the other team as a top 50ish prospect that's MLB ready. We have plenty of fringe top 100 guys we could substitute that aren't as valuable as Peralta if the other team doesn't value him appropriately.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-trade-rumors-marlins-wont-deal-j-t-realmuto-unless-theyre-blown-away-by-an-offer/

Pass on JT if the Marlins are going to ask for more than the moon. He'd be an impact add at a position of need, but I'm not willing to empty the top of a solid farm system to acquire him.

Your house can be valued at 150K (based on recent comparables/market) but if you're asking 180K nobody will give that to you unless they're beyond desperate to improve their situation by massively overpaying. Which is why, if the teams stick to their *wants*, these players won't be traded. And there's no way the Brewers should be involved in Realmuto, deGrom or Thor

I’d love to have Realmuto because Pina has infact been “that bad”. I don’t think I would trade Hiura for him. I like Hiura a lot and I’m not giving him in a package unless it is DeGrom/Syn.

This is my exact feeling on the situation. I would love to upgrade the C and 2B positions, but I am only comfortable moving Hiura in a deGrom or Syndergaard deal.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think Realmuto could be at least as big of an impact for us as Syndergaard or DeGrom. Not only is he the best overall catcher in baseball currently but such a massive upgrade for us at the position and enormous impact bat in the lineup.

At full strength with JT its a scary lineup which it seems to me has been a bigger culprit than starting pitching when things go wrong for us.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think Realmuto could be at least as big of an impact for us as Syndergaard or DeGrom. Not only is he the best overall catcher in baseball currently but such a massive upgrade for us at the position and enormous impact bat in the lineup.

At full strength with JT its a scary lineup which it seems to me has been a bigger culprit than starting pitching when things go wrong for us.

Definitely agree that the lineup has been more problematic than starting pitching. However, as currently constituted, I believe the Brewers are built for the regular season with their depth and would be out pretty quickly in the playoffs due to the lack of a true ace. In the Divisional Series, they could face Scherzer or Kershaw or Quintana (who kills them) twice while throwing who...Chacin? Anderson? Same thing with the Wild Card.

Much like the Braves, Phillies or Diamondbacks who have rotations built on depth rather than a true ace, the Brewers are an ace short of being serious World Series competitors in my opinion.

Agreed, and that's why the Marlins can but a huge price tag on him. Contending teams like Boston, New York (play 1B & C), Seattle, Arizona, Milwaukee, etc. would be massively upgrading their team by adding Realmuto. There is no supply available of good all-around catchers. Marlins will dangle Realmuto like the Padres did Brad Hand and see if any team is willing to pay the price. Marlins are in the driver seat when it comes to Realmuto.

Agreed, and that's why the Marlins can but a huge price tag on him. Contending teams like Boston, New York (play 1B & C), Seattle, Arizona, Milwaukee, etc. would be massively upgrading their team by adding Realmuto. There is no supply available of good all-around catchers. Marlins will dangle Realmuto like the Padres did Brad Hand and see if any team is willing to pay the price. Marlins are in the driver seat when it comes to Realmuto.

In the article where the Marlins claim they are considering offering Realmuto a long term contract, I don't believe it for a second. And even if they did, I doubt Realmuto takes it. The Marlins definitely can dangle Realmuto like the Padres did Hand and try for the home run and maybe they do, but that's risky as Realmuto could lose value quickly. Look at the Hand example, he hasn't been quite as devastating as he was last year with an ERA in the low 3s versus low 2s. He also is owed $25 million over 3 years instead of $29 over 4. It's hard to say whether they made a mistake, all depends what they were offered...but it seems they may have been better served to capitalize on his value than wait.

With Realmuto, they can either trade now a guy set to make $12-15 million over 2+ years...or wait and trade him down the line with less team control and at a higher per year cost. They won't be good next year, and possibly not even the year after...so keeping him is relatively pointless. They can say whatever they want and try to do all the posturing in the world. But fact is, returns over the offseason or next deadline aren't likely to be better than any offer they get this month.

Yah, long term is he going to be this good though? It could be a breakout year or he could resort back to the last couple years. That still is really good, but not worth what the Marlins are going to demand.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m starting to think maybe Realmuto is the way to go. Offensively he’d probably have a bigger effect than anyone else available. We get him for two more years so that would help mitigate the loss of prospects. If there was some way we could pry him lose without giving up Hiura imagine the offense we could have as soon as next season.

So this is what I’m thinking. The obvious piece is Nottingham. We’d have no use for him and he’s a major league ready catcher Miami can put right into their lineup. But he’s obviously not a headliner. If we have any hope of keeping Hiura we’d have to give them Burnes and either Peralta or Woodruff. I’m guessing they’d prefer Peralta. That still probably won’t do it. So we add Corey Ray. Ray, Nottingham Burnes and Peralta. Yeah it’s a ton to give up but it is probably what you’d need to do. So my questions are is it enough and if so is it worth it?

I’m starting to think maybe Realmuto is the way to go. Offensively he’d probably have a bigger effect than anyone else available. We get him for two more years so that would help mitigate the loss of prospects. If there was some way we could pry him lose without giving up Hiura imagine the offense we could have as soon as next season.

So this is what I’m thinking. The obvious piece is Nottingham. We’d have no use for him and he’s a major league ready catcher Miami can put right into their lineup. But he’s obviously not a headliner. If we have any hope of keeping Hiura we’d have to give them Burnes and either Peralta or Woodruff. I’m guessing they’d prefer Peralta. That still probably won’t do it. So we add Corey Ray. Ray, Nottingham Burnes and Peralta. Yeah it’s a ton to give up but it is probably what you’d need to do. So my questions are is it enough and if so is it worth it?

No way I do that.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

You are giving them arguably our #2, #3 and #4 prospects, plus another top 10 guy in Nottingham. And all except Ray are on the MLB team. No thanks!

If other teams can trade young guys for stars, we can to. This is the type of package I'd look to deal for Realmuto:

Lutz

Ortiz

Diplan

Gatewood

Nottingham

All are arguably Top 10 Brewer prospects, but you aren't harming the MLB squad this year or likely next year to make it happen.

Edit: Also, none of these guys are the organizational soldier-types like what the Dodgers gave up for Machado. All are young for their league right now, all are playing pretty well, and all have extremely high ceilings.

Ray, Nottingham Burnes and Peralta. Yeah it’s a ton to give up but it is probably what you’d need to do. So my questions are is it enough and if so is it worth it?

You are giving them way more than Yelich for a fraction of the control time as Yelich and less overall WAR? I get that catcher is a black hole, but you are sending them 2 SP, a 4th OF, and a C for 6-7 WAR? YES if you think that gets you a chance at making it to the World Series. Absolutely NO, if you think it gives you a lock on a WC... Not worth it at all, and the Marlins are going to be looking at a Yelich package as the top of what they can expect as most GMs aren't going to mortgage the future for 6-7 WAR over 1.4 seasons...

No, it's not enough. The Marlins have been very firm with the Nationals that to land Realmuto, they need to start with Robles or Soto. They won't move him otherwise and won't need to. The only prospect we have on that level is Hiura. Any discussion of trading for Realmuto needs to start with Keston.

I do think you could possibly get away without giving up either of Burnes or Peralta as long as you headlined a deal with Hiura. Yesterday I had suggested Realmuto+Castro for Hiura+Ray+Ortiz+Gatewood+Bickford.

A deal for Realmuto headlined by Lutz and Ortiz is borderline insulting to Miami. No way is it even close.

The Marlins have been very firm with the Nationals that to land Realmuto, they need to start with Robles or Soto.

And that trade was announced when? It hasn't because even the Nationals know that is way too much to pay for the return. The Marlins want to play hardball, I get it, but they can ask for whatever they want to, but that doesn't mean anyone will pony up that much money. The Nationals are out as they likely won't even make the playoffs. No need to deal for JT now, and if they lose out on resigning Harper, they'll need the farm to restock.

The best time for the Marlins to get a decent package for JT was last winter and there asking price was way too high... His value is dropping daily and they will be lucky to get the Yelich package from any team at this point.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
No, it's not enough. The Marlins have been very firm with the Nationals that to land Realmuto, they need to start with Robles or Soto. They won't move him otherwise and won't need to. The only prospect we have on that level is Hiura. Any discussion of trading for Realmuto needs to start with Keston.

I do think you could possibly get away without giving up either of Burnes or Peralta as long as you headlined a deal with Hiura. Yesterday I had suggested Realmuto+Castro for Hiura+Ray+Ortiz+Gatewood+Bickford.

A deal for Realmuto headlined by Lutz and Ortiz is borderline insulting to Miami. No way is it even close.

Yeah ... the Marlins can ask all they want for Robles or Soto, but that deal hasn't happened yet, so no one really has any idea if the Nats would even do it. With the way Soto has mashed at the MLB level as a 19-year-old, I don't think he is on the table for anyone.

Borderline insulting? Lutz is well on his way to being a top 100 prospect, if not top 50 at season's end. My goodness ... it seems like people here hate every single one of our prospects that aren't names Hiura, Burnes or Peralta. I'm just trying to find a way to for the team to improve the MLB roster without having to trade MLB assets or their sure-fire #1 prospect to do it.

The Marlins have been very firm with the Nationals that to land Realmuto, they need to start with Robles or Soto.

And that trade was announced when? It hasn't because even the Nationals know that is way too much to pay for the return. The Marlins want to play hardball, I get it, but they can ask for whatever they want to, but that doesn't mean anyone will pony up that much money. The Nationals are out as they likely won't even make the playoffs. No need to deal for JT now, and if they lose out on resigning Harper, they'll need the farm to restock.

The best time for the Marlins to get a decent package for JT was last winter and there asking price was way too high... His value is dropping daily and they will be lucky to get the Yelich package from any team at this point.

No, it's not dropping, its rising. He's coming off two very good years but has propelled himself into ourstanding top 2 catcher status this year. His OPS is over .900, and he's a top notch defender. He's elite both offensively and defensively and has put up 4 WAR at the break.

The idea that the Marlins lost value by not selling him last winter is silly. He proved them right, not wrong. 2+ years of cheap control is still worth a ton, they are well within their rights to ask for an elite prospect centerpiece for Realmuto and some of the proposals I've seen for him would just be a waste of both ours and the Marlins' time.

Archived