Brewer Fanatic

J.T. Realmuto

Eye Black
Verified Member
I'd almost double down and get Hiura up here to join Realmuto in the lineup.

1) Cain

2) Yelich

3) Realmuto

4) Shaw

5) Aguilar

6) Thames

7) Hiura

8) Miller/Saladino

That seems like it might be an okay lineup.

Realmuto's career line is .283/.327/.442/.769. Granted that's excellent for such a good defensive catcher, but I wouldn't bat him third.

(For what it's worth, last year Pina hit .279/.327/.424/.751, and he is an equally good defensive catcher)

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd almost double down and get Hiura up here to join Realmuto in the lineup.

1) Cain

2) Yelich

3) Realmuto

4) Shaw

5) Aguilar

6) Thames

7) Hiura

8) Miller/Saladino

That seems like it might be an okay lineup.

Realmuto's career line is .283/.327/.442/.769. Granted that's excellent for such a good defensive catcher, but I wouldn't bat him third.

(For what it's worth, last year Pina hit .279/.327/.424/.751, and he is an equally good defensive catcher)

I'll lead with the statement that I don't think I want to pay what it takes to get Realmuto. ...

But in terms of his offensive ability, his career home line is 245/.289/.380/.669, contrasted with his career road line of .315/.359/.494/.853. His road OPS so far this season is .931, compared to a home OPS of .842.

It does seem like getting him away from Marlins Park would result in greater offensive production.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I am ready to make a move for this guy. 27 yrs old. Another young vet like Yelich that can upgrade the present and be part of the future. It is an upgrade that puts this team over the top in my opinion. It will hurt for sure but what is minor league talent for when you major league roster is stacked like this one would be. I would put the Brewers lineup in the top of the NL with Realmuto. If Braun can even scratch the surface of who he has been this team can compete for the NL flag. It is rare that any Brewers team has spent any length of time 15 games over .500. It cannot be taken lightly how close this team is. Make the move to make it official. Brewers are serious about winning now.

Honestly if there is any way to get him without giving up Hiura, which there might not be, I think you have to do it. I’m just so hesitant to give up Hiura with the way he’s been dominating this year. He could legitimately be the opening day second basemen next year and if you can somehow pry Realmuto away from the Marlins without giving him up you can solve two of your biggest offensive holes next year.

You’d just really have to hope the pitching holds up because you’d likely be giving up Burnes and Peralta. Doesn’t leave us much room for error rotation wise.

The more I think about it I just don't know if the Marlins will do Realmuto without Hiura. The Nationals had inquired and their GM said they knew what it would take and weren't willing to meet that price. In that case you would think it's got to be Soto or Robles they want. The only prospect we have close to that is Hiura.

Burnes, Peralta, Nottingham and Lopez?

My best guess is that the Marlins insist on Hiura from us and if the answer is no they hold and wait.

But it doesn't hurt to make a fair offer.

Spitballing here, but I wonder what kind of value the Marlins would put on Arcia.

I would offer Domingo Santana, Jacob Nottingham and Brandon Woodruff. If that's not enough then pass.

It is not.

Then I'd happily pass.

I'm not willing to give up anything other than spare parts in a trade at this point. Somehow the Astros turned 3 major league ready spare parts into Garrett Cole. My offer is roughly the same value as what the Pirates received. You could swap out Santana with Corey Ray or Brett Phillips if they want more control. Then toss in another pitching prospect that would have to be protected in next years rule 5 draft like Cody Ponce or Marcos Diplan.

@WiscoSportsNut

Miami’s system really looks weak. I wonder if they’d settle for quantity over quality if it becomes clear they aren’t getting an elite prospect back. Burnes and Peralta are nothing to sniff at. I’m hesitant to include them both but without Hiura it’s likely a must.

I'm not willing to give up anything other than spare parts in a trade at this point. Somehow the Astros turned 3 major league ready spare parts into Garrett Cole

I really think the Brewers should have made a move for Cole but I’m not sure how accurate a comparison is between a pitcher who was putting up pedestrians numbers and a catcher who is clearly the top offensive catcher in the league

I would offer Domingo Santana, Jacob Nottingham and Brandon Woodruff. If that's not enough then pass.

It is not.

Then I'd happily pass.

I'm not willing to give up anything other than spare parts in a trade at this point. Somehow the Astros turned 3 major league ready spare parts into Garrett Cole. My offer is roughly the same value as what the Pirates received. You could swap out Santana with Corey Ray or Brett Phillips if they want more control. Then toss in another pitching prospect that would have to be protected in next years rule 5 draft like Cody Ponce or Marcos Diplan.

It's really not as simple as offering spare parts(which is what offering Woodruff/Santana is). The Marlins are probably more interested in minor leaguers with upside than high floor players that are already 25 and have lost some team control. For that reason alone, I doubt the Marlins have much interest in that package.

I think there's going to be far more talk than actual action this deadline. I don't think Realmuto, Degrom, Syndergaard, Archer, or any other guys with an astronomical asking price and more than 2 years of team control get dealt. I understand that Marlins may be asking for Robles/Soto type and be willing to take less, I just think the gap between their ask and what another team will pay is too wide.

• 2 weeks later...

CBS Sports has this article about five trades that make sense

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2018-mlb-trade-deadline-5-potential-trades-that-make-sense-including-new-homes-for-manny-machado-and-jacob-degrom/

JT Realmuto for Huira, Peralta and Phillips. I would probably do that but would rather do something like Pena, Huira, Ortez, and Phillips. If we could get a decent reliever added in the deal it would be extra sweet

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2018-mlb-trade-deadline-5-potential-trades-that-make-sense-including-new-homes-for-manny-machado-and-jacob-degrom/

JT Realmuto for Huira, Peralta and Phillips. I would probably do that but would rather do something like Pena, Huira, Ortez, and Phillips. If we could get a decent reliever added in the deal it would be extra sweet

The hardest of passes. I could live with trading hiura for degrom, but not in a package for realmuto. We should have peralta or burnes headline any deal for realmuto.

On a side, why do these national articles find a way to propose these trades there the Yankees get to keep their best prospects and do a quantity package but for the brewers they go straight to the top prospects? Its not really up for debate that degrom is more valuable than realmuto, yet we are giving a better prospect in the realmuto trade than they are in a degrom trade. How does that make any sense? We have just as much farm depth as the Yankees.

On a side, why do these national articles find a way to propose these trades there the Yankees get to keep their best prospects and do a quantity package but for the brewers they go straight to the top prospects? Its not really up for debate that degrom is more valuable than realmuto, yet we are giving a better prospect in the realmuto trade than they are in a degrom trade. How does that make any sense? We have just as much farm depth as the Yankees.

Which of their top prospects are they keeping in this proposed deal? Florial and Sheffield are both high end top 40 prospects, Loasiga is I believe top 75 according to Baseball America, Frazier was a very high prospect before graduating from lists, and then they get Sonny Gray too as an interesting reclamation project to replace DeGrom.

That's a really strong offer for DeGrom and would beat our offer even with Keston unless the Mets are really in love with Keston.

I am ready to make a move for this guy. 27 yrs old. Another young vet like Yelich that can upgrade the present and be part of the future. It is an upgrade that puts this team over the top in my opinion. It will hurt for sure but what is minor league talent for when you major league roster is stacked like this one would be. I would put the Brewers lineup in the top of the NL with Realmuto. If Braun can even scratch the surface of who he has been this team can compete for the NL flag. It is rare that any Brewers team has spent any length of time 15 games over .500. It cannot be taken lightly how close this team is. Make the move to make it official. Brewers are serious about winning now.

a few greater needs to fill. Pina isnt that bad, actually, but he is having a down year batting. Yes we can certainly use 2 catchers but i dont think we upgrade that spot unless we are unsuccessful with upgrading the infield.

Which of their top prospects are they keeping in this proposed deal? Florial and Sheffield are both high end top 40 prospects, Loasiga is I believe top 75 according to Baseball America, Frazier was a very high prospect before graduating from lists, and then they get Sonny Gray too as an interesting reclamation project to replace DeGrom.

That's a really strong offer for DeGrom and would beat our offer even with Keston unless the Mets are really in love with Keston.

Florial shouldn't even be a top 100 prospect. He's all tools no bat, he's basically keon Broxton before people realized he couldn't hit. And I'm not convinced sheffield is a better prospect than peralta, especially with peralta having success against mlb hitters.

You in general seem to go over the top to try to avoid being a homer. If we tried attaching gray to a trade and he was brewer, you'd say he had little to no value. But as a piece for another team, he's a reclamation project. This package is a depth package that is more suited to fit the yankees needs than the Mets. The guy even says the Mets are strong in outfielders yet the trade includes 2 outfielders as the prime pieces.

I go out of my way to avoid being a homer? I've been on record gushing about the depth of our system, but sometimes you completely stretch the boundaries of reality. Sheffield is a high end pitching prospect well deserving of his ranking and comparable to Hiura in terms of value. He's been suggested in numerous proposals to the Brewers the past couple years because of his upside and arm and has dominated the high end levels of the minors.

Florial might be a bit overrated as a prospect but to compare him to Broxton is ridiculous. For God's sake, the kid is 20 in High A. He's years away. The fact that the Mets have outfielders doesn't reduce his value. If Mets trade DeGrom, they're rebuilding. In which case they're looking for value, not specific needs.

I never said Gray had a ton of value, I just said he was an interesting reclamation project and he makes sense coming back for the Mets.

Frazier was a top 5 draft pick, a very highly rated prospect both with the Indians and Yankees (so you can't just blame it on the market), and has started to have some success at the MLB level. Again, the Mets want to max out value.

Loasiga is a borderline top 100 guy, probably more comparable to Peralta than Sheffield is, who can throw 98 and could probably move right into the Mets rotation himself.

This is a loaded package offer that includes strong value with every piece with the exception of Gray. Sometimes when you start talking about how farm system rankings are tilted in favor of large markets, I do agree with you to an extent. But then you dismiss a strong DeGrom offer here as a 'depth package' and it comes off as complete homerism.

1.33yrs of Lucroy (top 5 mlb catcher with extensive track record and cheap) + 3yrs of Jeffress (2yrs of great performance including closer experience and cheap) = Top 20, Top 65, Cordell

Yet somehow 2.33yrs of Realmuto by himself (first legitimate year being top 5 catcher) = Top 20, Top 50, Top 80?

LOL. No. And the Yankees/deGrom proposal was significantly worse than the Brewers proposal for Realmuto. (4) Top 100, including Frazier, + 1.33yrs of Gray for 2.33yrs of deGrom? My mind is blown. Sale, with more control and significantly better accomplishments, brought back Top 1, Top 30, Basabe, scrub. These publications are mind blowing and distorting reality. Reality is comparing to recent trades and adjusting accordingly given no two players/situations are exactly the same.

Archived