Brewer Fanatic

J.T. Realmuto

Eye Black
I like to keep Freddie and Corbin with the crew. I also agree Hiura going no where.

Then who do you trade? To get any of the big guns, they are going to have to pay up. Not gonna get a stud pitcher, catcher or infielder without giving up some of our top prospects.

Don't think they'll go after big guns, but I could easily see them trading guys like Diplan, Lara, Gatewood, Supak, Ortiz, Stokes, Ponce...any of the potential Rule 5 guys are definitely at high risk of being traded. (I know Diplan is already on the 40).

I mean heck we likely could have had Kelvin Herrera for a few of those names without giving up studs.

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like to keep Freddie and Corbin with the crew. I also agree Hiura going no where.

Then who do you trade? To get any of the big guns, they are going to have to pay up. Not gonna get a stud pitcher, catcher or infielder without giving up some of our top prospects.

I would stay away from the big guns. Find this years equivalent of Neil Walker and Anthony Swarzak but don't give up the top prospects. The way I see it, 2018 isn't the Brewers year; there is no trade we can make that gives us the edge over the Yankees, Red Sox or Astros. As much as they have struggled, I'd still take the Dodgers, Cubs, Nationals over us in a playoff series too. 2019 might be a year for real contention (Or it might not; I think 2020-21 is a better bet) but no need to make a move this deadline for that purpose.

So make the smaller trades, and then see what we have, or don't have, in the upper minors. Who looks to be for real among Peralta/Burnes/Ortiz/Woodruff? Is the offensive production of Bethancourt/Nottingham sustainable? Will Hiura's elbow hold up, and how is his defense? Dubon's recovery? Also gives a better idea of the rest of the team: If major injuries happen, or a bunch of players flop, then making big trades is pointless. And vice versa.

To build a contender with a small market team, as much as possible of the team has to be built from own prospects, waiver claims, low-key trades etc. Only when positions of needs absolutely can't be filled that way do you make the farm-depleting moves or sign the big FAs. I don't think that we can fill all of C/2B/SS/SP with our own guys; we'd be very lucky to do so, but quite possible some of those holes. So find out which, and then make potentially aggressive moves for the others.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Stay the course.

brewmann04 has repeatedly pointed to the idea that he is interested in seeing Stearns' deadline activity. I can't imagine "doing nothing" is interesting.

I guess my point is, if we are going to improve the major league team in a substantial fashion this summer (especially if acquiring a non-rental), it's going to cost top minor league talent. We aren't going to be able to have it both ways.

Yes Joey as we had this discussion before If we are going to add a Stud like Degroom yes you have to give up something but I am not moving those young arms for a rental. I maybe be in the minority but also would not trade those arms for Realmuto. I guess we find out soon enough which way DS will go.

Stay the course.

Best post in this thread so far.

Yes Joey as we had this discussion before If we are going to add a Stud like Degroom yes you have to give up something but I am not moving those young arms for a rental. I maybe be in the minority but also would not trade those arms for Realmuto. I guess we find out soon enough which way DS will go.

Realmuto or Degrom aren’t rentals. They come with multiple years of control

Literally no one is advocating emptying the farm for rentals. Well, I guess there is a little talk of it in the Machado thread, but it's pretty light.

Brew4U, when you say "Stay the course", what does that mean? Because David Stearns' "course" so far has been to make some pretty dang big acquisitions, and give up top-flight talent to do it.

If there is one area where I totally trust Stearns' judgement, it's on the value of prospects and how they can be used to acquire major MLB pieces. If he determines that Hiura, Burnes and Peralta are in play for a player like Realmuto, DeGrom, Thor or any other potential long-term acquisition, I'm all-in.

Brew4U, when you say "Stay the course", what does that mean? Because David Stearns' "course" so far has been to make some pretty dang big acquisitions, and give up top-flight talent to do it.

Yeah, we made a couple key pickups this offseason. One in which we sent some quality prospects but none were from our pitching depth. I really hope that continues. I really hope we use these arms that we are bringing along. Look at what Freddy Peralta has done in just three starts. I would rather we let these young guys take the reign than to overpay for a Thor or deGrom. Let the dust settle on these arms. If we end up having too many major leaguers for that rotation, then move one. Right now, we don’t really know what they are just yet but they have shined in the minors. And he shouldn’t be using Hiura to acquire anything. Look at what that little guy in Houston has done for that franchise. Hiura could be that impactful for us. I’d hate to miss out on that. We have a real opportunity in front of us for an extended window. I really hope a good start to our season doesn’t cloud the judgement of our front office. So like I said, stay the course.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Realmuto or Degrom aren’t rentals. They come with multiple years of control

sorry but I said for Degrom yes I understand that but I don't move young arms for realmuto

I think you move pitching arms if you get one of the two mets pitchers. But its seems like DS loads the system with bats because he rather move the position players.

That certainly seems to be the philosophy looking at the last two years of draft picks. Tons of high ceiling bats.

Apparently they had asked the Nationals for a package lead by Soto or Robles.

The fact that the Nationals said no to those guys tells you it's unlikely another team gives up a top 30 or 40 prospect for Realmuto. I'm not sure we'd need to include a package led by Peralta to get a deal done...could get it done with Burnes+.

The fact that the Nationals said no to those guys tells you it's unlikely another team gives up a top 30 or 40 prospect for Realmuto. I'm not sure we'd need to include a package led by Peralta to get a deal done...could get it done with Burnes+.

The Marlins aren't going to say we'll trade him for less because another team isn't meeting our asking price. They'll keep him until a team actually does meet their asking price.

Also, the way Realmuto has played this year I can't see their asking price going lower by this trade deadline. If they are not getting what they want by trade deadline 2019 then they might start feeling the pressure.

The Marlins aren't going to say we'll trade him for less because another team isn't meeting our asking price. They'll keep him until a team actually does meet their asking price.

That's fair. We do occasionally see desperation overpays on pitching, but it's much more rare on the hitting side. Eaton to some degree, but that was weird as Gioloto for whatever reason fell out of favor with the Nationals and they were actively trying to trade him.

I suspect if the Marlins demand someone of the Soto/Robles caliber, they'll hold Realmuto for a while longer. I personally think that's a terrible idea. They have a lot of talent in their early 20s in the upper minors. They could certainly land 2 or 3 quality prospects for Realmuto...just not blue chip future stars. Trading him now likely makes the received prospects that much closer to the majors to make an impact with their other upper minors prospects. And waiting until the offseason or next deadline, he has that much less service time to the prospective buyer.

At the same time, if I was the Marlins I would be very hesitant to trade for more Brewers prospects. If we were the Rangers or Cardinals or Dodgers...or some other team with an incredible track record for talent development...then fine I'd be inclined to treat them as a one stop shop for filling up my farm if we kept matching up in trades. Brewers at best are a middle of the pack development team and I'd rather get players from other farms than deal strictly with the Brewers...unless of course the Brewers offers are that much better than everyone elses.

Serious question but has anyone heard one actual rumor connecting the Brewers and Marlins on Realmuto? Just seems like a lot of speculation and that the organization might be completely content with a Pina/Kratz tandem for the rest of the season.

I would expect the Marlins to ask for a package led by Soto or Robles and I would expect the Nationals to say no. Don't think it means much. The Marlins wanted Acuna for Yelich.

Also not sure whether Burnes or Peralta would be the preferred prospect by most potential trade partners. Burnes is still, technically, the higher rated prospect. I'm sure these guys have their internal preferences depending on the team although I suppose it's pretty much league-wide consensus that Hiura is our top prospect.

Has anyone brought up the "catchers don't get traded mid-season because they can't learn a new pitching staff" thing yet?

Hilarious. I was just thinking about that a few days ago, but have yet to see it come up, until you posted that...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I’m at the point where I think this guy would be a needle mover and put us even with the Cubs....

Peralta , Burnes, Ray, and xxx get it done? Would you do that?

I'd really like to get Realmuto, yeah. He is just getting tougher and tougher to acquire.

If there's any chance of getting him without Hiura, yeah, I think you'd unfortunately need to center it around Burnes and Peralta. Realmuto is just too good and has too much control left for the Marlins to let him go easy. I'm not totally sure you could get him without Hiura, but I think I'd draw the line there. I could maybe stomach trading Hiura if we had a good other option as our 2B of the future -- unfortunately we do not.

I'd try to substitute Woodruff for Peralta. So I think my offer would be Burnes + Woodruff + Ray + Erceg. If they insisted on Peralta instead of Woodruff, I'd pull the trigger. If it still wasn't enough, I'd move on to other options. That's a good offer even without Hiura and would as high as I'd be willing to go. And it would hurt, but you're not going to get Realmuto without it hurting. It's probably similar in value to what we gave up for Yelich and I expect it to be.

I’m at the point where I think this guy would be a needle mover and put us even with the Cubs....

Peralta , Burnes, Ray, and xxx get it done? Would you do that?

I'd really like to get Realmuto, yeah. He is just getting tougher and tougher to acquire.

If there's any chance of getting him without Hiura, yeah, I think you'd unfortunately need to center it around Burnes and Peralta. Realmuto is just too good and has too much control left for the Marlins to let him go easy. I'm not totally sure you could get him without Hiura, but I think I'd draw the line there. I could maybe stomach trading Hiura if we had a good other option as our 2B of the future -- unfortunately we do not.

I'd try to substitute Woodruff for Peralta. So I think my offer would be Burnes + Woodruff + Ray + Erceg. If they insisted on Peralta instead of Woodruff, I'd pull the trigger. If it still wasn't enough, I'd move on to other options. That's a good offer even without Hiura and would as high as I'd be willing to go. And it would hurt, but you're not going to get Realmuto without it hurting. It's probably similar in value to what we gave up for Yelich and I expect it to be.

I feel the same as you do . I do think that with his position and his productivity , and signed for a couple more years - it may be worth it .... we would have a fantastic lineup then ... and maybe overcome some of that feast and famine tendencies

I'd almost double down and get Hiura up here to join Realmuto in the lineup.

1) Cain

2) Yelich

3) Realmuto

4) Shaw

5) Aguilar

6) Thames

7) Hiura

8) Miller/Saladino

That seems like it might be an okay lineup.

Verified Member

I don't feel any urgency to go get Realmuto when catcher is only the third worst position in our starting lineup, and when Pina seems like such an important part of the clubhouse and in working with our (surprisingly effective) pitching staff.

I have much more faith in Pina getting hot in the second half than I do Villar or Arcia, and when Pina is hot he's actually a comparable hitter to Realmuto in his career (minus the career year Realmuto is having, which further complicates things by making him a buy-high candidate..)

Archived