Brewer Fanatic

J.T. Realmuto

Eye Black
OK - so we'd only be talking about 2.5 years with him then.

If that is the case, I'd want to hold onto Feliciano and Payton Henry, hoping that one of those two guys is ready to take over after we have to say goodbye to Realmuto. I wonder if the Marlins would have any interest in Nottingham in the deal, since we wouldn't have much need for him over the next few years if a deal like this went down.

To me, Henry and Feliciano are way too far down on the food chain, and 2021 is way too far away for me to care about having to give one of them up. A lot can happen between now and then. If they want one of them for Realmuto, I'm sure we'd happily send back either of the two or Nottingham.

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Those Heyman packages seem pretty light in terms of talent we'd be sending. Hiura is a player I think the club should keep; I agree with Brew4U there. I think the Marlins could get more for Realmuto... and it'd probably take Hiura from us to get it done imo.

We have enough talent that we could easily get Realmuto without giving up Hiura, but I'll also agree that package is light. If I got that offer, I wouldn't hang up the phone until Realmuto was on a plane to Milwaukee.

I think Burnes, Ray, Feliciano is more realistic. If we avoid including Burnes/Peralta/Hiura, then I think it'd be something like Ortiz, Ray, Nottingham, Supak. I think either of those deals gets it done, but either trade could be trumped by a team willing to overpay...like for instance if the Nationals include Robles in a deal.

As for Archer, I honestly just have no interest in dealing with such a delusional front office. There are other pitchers we can target that are equally valuable and don't require our entire farm system.

Sign me up for that 2nd package of Ray, Ortiz, Notty and Supak right now - if we could get that for Realmuto. If we could somehow get JTR for any package that does not include Burnes, Hiura and Peralta, I would be elated. Something tells me though that the Marlins would need at least one of those guys (and more) in any deal for him.

There are few players I'd be willing to trade for that would involve moving Hiura; Archer is not one of them. As for Realmuto, that is a pretty light package to acquire a great talent at a premium position. I wonder if the lack of success of Brinson, Diaz, and Harrison would make the Marlins think twice about trading with the Brewers.

Funny I saw that Cardinals joke site had a bunch of Cards fans saying how they wouldn't trade Yadi for Trout. And they were serious. He's not a winner, etc.

Or maybe baseball is a team sport and the Angels have yet to put a playoff caliber team around him. The Angels current team without Trout is probably a 72 win team. He's worth way more than 7-8 wins for that team.

Exactly. Don't tell that to Cards fans though. They'll respond that Yadi's heart is unmeasuarable and worth 10 wins or some bs like that

I'm not a major fan of acquiring Archer or Realmuto but I would probably take both of those packages. Hiura would be the one big loss but I think I could handle it.

Agree. I would do Archer deal only if we did the Realmuto deal, which is making the playoffs that much closer to certainty.

If we got the Archer that was pitching in May (and not April), for the rest of the year, that would definitely put the NL on notice.

Archer still scares me, his stuff is great and on an affordable contract, but he gives up a ton of homeruns and has not been good for the past 3 years. I still think that package is good and would do it.....but I'd want to see if there is something better we can get for Hiura. I'm really high on Fulmer, but I will not be surprised if either Burnes or Hiura are traded at the deadline.

Would absolutely not do the Archer deal. Can’t believe how hyped he is.

Would absolutely do the JT realmuto deal. Doubt it but if they would want us to take Castro and it would lighten the prospect haul a bit id do it.

I’ll post it here but it’s about Starlin Castro. How bad is he at shortstop? Say we included Castro in a Realmuto trade to lighten the prospect load (if the Marlins even want to lower salary), could we play Castro at SS? Is he worse there than Villar? I mean if Arcia continues to struggle, maybe he ends up being a late game defensive replacement guy if we could grab a better bat at that position. Just spitballing here.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I’ll post it here but it’s about Starlin Castro. How bad is he at shortstop? Say we included Castro in a Realmuto trade to lighten the prospect load (if the Marlins even want to lower salary), could we play Castro at SS? Is he worse there than Villar? I mean if Arcia continues to struggle, maybe he ends up being a late game defensive replacement guy if we could grab a better bat at that position. Just spitballing here.

I think I'd rather go with Arcia, hope he works out of his funk and starts hitting more than go with Castro and his defense at SS. I wouldn't be against adding Castro to the deal, particularly if it means fewer prospects, but then I'd like to see him primarily at 2nd. But adding Castro wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I like him as a player more than Perez for example. Not for the 18 or so million we'd be paying him over the next two years, but if that means we keep Burnes and trade a much lesser prospect, I'm all for it.

I think at this Point adding Realmuto and Castro would be the best move the Brewers could make to upgrade. Yes, adding a big time starting pitcher might be the sexy move, but our rotation has been solid the way Counsell uses it with his elite bullpen. Adding these two would upgrade our two weakest positions significantly. It just makes sense. Realmuto is a stud and Pina makes a GREAT backup especially with his defense. Castro might not provide the defense Arcia does, but at this point Arcia loses pretty much all of the value he earns on D with his horrid approach at the plate. Castro is a shorter term option while Arcia figures it out down at AAA, and then if he comes back Castro can be a great platoon or backup 2B or SS. His contract may even lighten the load of prospects it takes.

I think at this Point adding Realmuto and Castro would be the best move the Brewers could make to upgrade. Yes, adding a big time starting pitcher might be the sexy move, but our rotation has been solid the way Counsell uses it with his elite bullpen. Adding these two would upgrade our two weakest positions significantly. It just makes sense. Realmuto is a stud and Pina makes a GREAT backup especially with his defense. Castro might not provide the defense Arcia does, but at this point Arcia loses pretty much all of the value he earns on D with his horrid approach at the plate. Castro is a shorter term option while Arcia figures it out down at AAA, and then if he comes back Castro can be a great platoon or backup 2B or SS. His contract may even lighten the load of prospects it takes.

We also have guys to trade at the MLB level. Arcia, Santana, Pina, Woodruff off the top of my head are all guys with plenty of team-controlled years left. They are still prospects, basically. Maybe the Marlins believe in the old "change of scenery concept."

Burnes, Arcia, Broxton, Supak. Would that be enough? I would do that deal.

Bring in Realmuto and Castro, call up Miller, maybe bring up Broxton or Phillips for Santana and we've got a heck of a lineup with a ton of flexibility shaping up:

[pre]OPS vs. RHP '18 '16-18 OPS vs. LHP '18 '16-18

---------------------------- ----------------------------

CF Cain .731 .742 CF Cain 1.200 .959

RF Yelich* .902 .876 RF Yelich* .704 .716

1B Thames* .972 .939 1B Aguilar .983 .911

3B Shaw* .958 .853 3B Shaw* .523 .665

LF Braun .730 .825 LF Braun .824 .927

C Realmuto .938 .809 C Realmuto .733 .738

2B Miller* .782 .760 2B Villar^ .945 .814

SS Castro .726 .747 SS Castro .721 .768

C Pina .606 .728 C Pina .620 .665

1B Aguilar .856 .815 1B Thames* .697 .668

2B Villar^ .683 .736 2B Miller* .639 .674

UT Perez .638 .679 UT Perez .586 .759

RF Santana .767 .815 RF Santana .352 .811

Out

---

SS Arcia .566 .679 SS Arcia .275 .611

UT Sogard .394 .680 UT Sogard .384 .681

C Kratz 1.632 .479 C Kratz .500 .616[/pre]

I'd probably be slightly more interested in Salvador Perez, based mainly on what I expect the price to be. And I know this is usually b.s., but I have to wonder if Miami would even want to deal with the Brewers again. I would probably be looking for someone with less of a reputation for taking advantage of everyone if I was the Marlins.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'd probably be slightly more interested in Salvador Perez, based mainly on what I expect the price to be. And I know this is usually b.s., but I have to wonder if Miami would even want to deal with the Brewers again. I would probably be looking for someone with less of a reputation for taking advantage of everyone if I was the Marlins.

I think you are right about the B.S. portion of that statement. The Marlins got three of the Brewers' Top 10 prospects, and a young pitching wildcard. Brinson, Harrison and Diaz are still very highly ranked prospects. I have to believe, too, that those guys aren't the only prospects that the Brewers offered. They are who the Marlins chose, and I HIGHLY doubt they are going to be leery of dealing with the Brewers again.

Exactly what we need. Another out machine.

Exactly what we need. Another out machine.

News flash, nearly all respectable defensive catchers are "out machines" if Perez is one. They don't need a star, just someone in his prime who isn't 31 and likely to regress even more in the coming years. He'd be a big upgrade without costing an arm and a leg. What they really "need" is to keep their best young prospects while acquiring a decent catcher. Pina was likely a 1-year wonder, Nottingham is a toss-up at best, and they have no other decent prospects there for years to come. All depends on the costs of course, but even if it's not a super-sexy move, it could make a big difference compared to the alternative.

I think you are right about the B.S. portion of that statement. The Marlins got three of the Brewers' Top 10 prospects, and a young pitching wildcard. Brinson, Harrison and Diaz are still very highly ranked prospects. I have to believe, too, that those guys aren't the only prospects that the Brewers offered. They are who the Marlins chose, and I HIGHLY doubt they are going to be leery of dealing with the Brewers again.

I think it would be highly unusual, but it's possible. The new Marlins leadership did not have much time to scout these guys. Jeter wasn't involved in baseball in any meaningful capacity whatsoever just a few months before the trade, for example. And the Brewers do have a reputation for giving up on guys at just the right time (Lucroy, Thornburg, Jeffress, Will Smith, and arguably the prospects in the Marlins deal who aren't regarded as highly now as they were when the trade happened).

I doubt that many front office professionals would have that kind of self-doubt, but at some point it is rational to avoid trading with someone who has thus far proven to be a much better evaluator of talent than you.

Brewer Get: JT Realmuto

Marlins Get: Jesus Aguilar, Luis Ortiz, Jacob Nottingham

Would allow them to shop Bour and play Aguilar at 3B (their black hole) in the meantime. They get a very good pitching prospect and their catcher of the future.

We get a huge missing hole in our lineup.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Would allow them to shop Bour and play Aguilar at 3B (their black hole) in the meantime. They get a very good pitching prospect and their catcher of the future.

That feels a bit light. I'm not sure they value Aguilar all that much, though maybe they do allowing them the ability to shop Bour(or Aguilar).

The Marlins would have very little interest in Aguilar. Their window is 3 years from now.

It's a stretch to say that Aguilar can play 3B well at this point, but by 2021, Aguilar will be 30 and on the back end of arbitration.

I've been a fan of Aguilar maybe taking the next step this year with some assumed launch angle improvement, but he may be back on his way down to 2017 - a masher of lefties and a guy that is decent against RHP.

The Nationals inquired about Realmuto in the offseason and the Marlins were interested in BOTH Victor Robles and Juan Soto. Getting Realmuto would require a haul larger than what the Brewers got for Lucroy, who was under control for only one and a half years.

If the Brewers were to look at trading for Realmuto, Hiura would need to be involved to even remain on the phone. Burnes or Peralta would need to be included as well. Plus a third piece that has high upside.

I think the Marlins would be looking at:

Brewers get: J.T. Realmuto

Marlins get: Keston Hiura, Corbin Burnes, Tristen Lutz

I think it is fair for both sides, but I would not do this trade. Other moves need to be done to the roster before making a big trade such as this. There are too many other holes to go all in right now.

The Nationals inquired about Realmuto in the offseason and the Marlins were interested in BOTH Victor Robles and Juan Soto. Getting Realmuto would require a haul larger than what the Brewers got for Lucroy, who was under control for only one and a half years.

If the Brewers were to look at trading for Realmuto, Hiura would need to be involved to even remain on the phone. Burnes or Peralta would need to be included as well. Plus a third piece that has high upside.

I think it is fair for both sides, but I would not do this trade. Other moves need to be done to the roster before making a big trade such as this. There are too many other holes to go all in right now.

Bahahaha, between the Nationals and the Rays...someone should tell these front offices that drugs are bad for you. Realmuto is definitely more valuable than Lucroy was at the deadline, but the gap between the Lucroy deal and Robles/Soto...it might as well be the grand canyon. I wouldn't trade either one of those guys for Realmuto if I'm the Nationals.

As for this offer, just no. Hiura is not getting moved for Realmuto, I wouldn't make that trade straight up. I think Burnes or Peralta would be a good enough centerpiece, probably the best one they'd get. Nottingham would be likely to go back to the Marlins in any Realmuto deal.

I agree with this being closer to the ask by the Marlins (probably include Nottingham in any version). The Aguilar, Ortiz, Nottingham scenario would not even be close.

However, I disagree with the roster having too many holes to go all in with. We are at 44% of the season being complete, I think it is safe to say that the offense, is holding us back. If you replace an OPS of .615 with .892, and put that batting 5th, that is going to be quite the improvement.

Plus, you know if we pull off this trade, we are going to get at least someone like Jody Mercer to replace Arcia for this year. Then we have an offense that has no black holes 1-8.

I'm not saying to do this trade as stated, as I would like to keep Hiura out of the trade. But if we could go Burnes, Erceg, Ray, Nottingham I would do this trade.

How about a Burnes, Ortiz and Nottingham offer for Realmuto? Does that at least get a call back from the Marlins? Personally, I would make Hiura off limits, as he's someone that should be contributing at the MLB level for the Brewers next year at a position of need in the organization. Heck, I have very little doubts that Hiura could more than hold his own right now against MLB pitching. Just needs more fine tuning defensively before they would call him up.

If the Marlins want something more in that package, I would at least consider throwing in one of our young teenagers (Carmona, Ernesto or Rodriguez).

Thoughts?

How about a Burnes, Ortiz and Nottingham offer for Realmuto? Does that at least get a call back from the Marlins? Personally, I would make Hiura off limits, as he's someone that should be contributing at the MLB level for the Brewers next year at a position of need in the organization. Heck, I have very little doubts that Hiura could more than hold his own right now against MLB pitching. Just needs more fine tuning defensively before they would call him up.

If the Marlins want something more in that package, I would at least consider throwing in one of our young teenagers (Carmona, Ernesto or Rodriguez).

Thoughts?

This would probably be my max offer. An offer that easily could be beat but I just don't think it gets beat.

On a side, I highly doubt MLB is filled with GM's that are hanging up on each other left and right. I've seen it referenced how someone would quickly hang up on a bad offer. I actually suspect far more initial conversation is done via email/text than over the phone anyways.

Archived