Brewer Fanatic

Packers Offseason Moves- Latest: Gutekunst Hired as GM, signed to 5-year deal (Joe Philbin-OC, Mike Pettine-DC)

pacopete4
I don't want those retreads Philbin or McAdoo around here. They are just putting McCarthy in his comfort zone, rather than lighting a fire under their butts to perform. Surely there is better out there than "bringing back the old gang."

Perhaps retreads because they've been here before, but both had immense success as offensive assistants, along with the rest of the "old gang". McCarthy's offense isn't changing. It seems incredibly wise to bring in/back assistants that have a track record of success within the system, rather than some random guy that might simply be ignored.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Frankly, I'm interested in McAdoo returning and slightly less on Philbin. I love EB for his tough play, but I never got a coaching vibe from the guy. Having someone else that could be creating new plays that fit MM's offensive plan is always a benefit. I'm guessing the MM gets bogged down with HC duties so he needs someone inventive to help out with the OC duties. I don't think he has had that for a few years.

As for Capers, I think he has simply lost the team. When he was a new and shiny DC, people followed him, but I think after a couple years, things fell off. Real defensive leaders are able to do it year after year because they are true leaders. Guys that inspire the team to be better than the individual parts.

it doesn't matter who the OC is, MM is calling the plays. If he is calling the plays, there isn't much for an OC to do. I would be OK if McAdoo or Philbin returns. I think it simply depends on who Aaron is comfortable with since its just a title in name only position.

I'd have no problem with Philbin coming back assuming Rodgers likes him. That was when the offense was at it's best, so why not. I thought they should have brought him back when he got let go from Miami and they were having the struggles with the OC here. I'm pretty sure the Colts coach got fired so he should be available and he'd be an idiot to turn down an OC job with the best QB in the league. It worked for the Pats and McDaniels.

it doesn't matter who the OC is, MM is calling the plays. If he is calling the plays, there isn't much for an OC to do. I would be OK if McAdoo or Philbin returns. I think it simply depends on who Aaron is comfortable with since its just a title in name only position.

Huh? You do know there is a lot more to this position than simply calling plays? I hope this was more out of frustration that MM would hold onto these duties than understanding all that goes into this role.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

MM gave up play calling duties a couple years ago and it went badly. Fans started complaining and whining for him to take it back. He did and the offense finished good that year and obviously was good last year and this before Rodgers got hurt. No reason for him to give it up or for people to be calling for it. That doesn't mean the OC doesn't still have a lot of day to day stuff to do as MM is busy with other stuff, I'd think it's logical that a guy with a broad background like Philbin's would be good for that type of situation as he can help out on almost anything (as opposed to a guy who comes from only a QB coach type background or any other specific niche). Regardless, whatever balance he and Philbin had previously seemed to work pretty well

MM gave up play calling duties a couple years ago and it went badly. Fans started complaining and whining for him to take it back. He did and the offense finished good that year and obviously was good last year and this before Rodgers got hurt. No reason for him to give it up or for people to be calling for it.

If you have the right OC, there's no reason MM needs to call plays. I have no problem with his play-calling. However, I do think it's difficult at best to be laser-focused on play calling and still be tuned in to everything happening on the field, around you on the sidelines, etc.

When I drive, yes I can eat, manage the radio, use the NAV, adjust the temp controls, etc. But it's much easier when I can focus on driving, and a passenger can do most of the rest.

In the heat of a football game, there's so much going on you can miss the big picture with your head buried in the play-sheet. That's just my opinion, but I know MM is too stubborn to give up the play-calling, just as he's too stubborn with most things.

He gave it up a few years ago, so I don't know how you can call him stubborn and that he won't. I mean, he was being called stubborn at the time for how long it took him to take it back, guy can't win with some portion of the fans.

Pretty much every year they're a top 5 offense if Rodgers is healthy. And I'm assuming he and Rodgers see very much eye to eye or else MM would be gone by now, so in a way why rock the boat and for all we know Rodgers might have told them no one else calling plays? The offense has never been the problem as long as Rodgers is there. I see your point on him being able to focus on other areas. But just as easily as you can say 'get the right guy in to call plays' one could say 'get the right guy to delegate the D to' so you don't have to worry about it and let that guy do his thing. And since MM isn't a D expert I don't see how much he should really be helping out on that mid game anyway. I get both sides of course and if they find a proven right guy to do it, fine I'm not going to argue. But the O has been great, and in a way if we're paying the HC the most money and his butt is on the line I'd rather him be the guy calling the plays. It's on him to do it, no one else to blame then when it comes to the offense and he's supposed to be the offensive guru so he should be the best guy to do the job.

That said, one thing I'd be fine with is no huddle and Rodgers calling plays himself a huge chunk of the game.

We don't know for sure, so I'll add that caveat right off the top. But beat writers said at the time MM was pretty much told to give up play calling that season (after the Seattle debacle.)

Again, I'm not quibbling with the offense or MM play-calling. Scoring points is not an issue with this team generally, when Rodgers is at QB. Not to mention who knows how many plays Rodgers calls himself, or audibles to.

No, the problem is being aware of the big picture. And that's not just defense, it's offense to. As one play is ending, he's already looking at his play-sheet, and then again, and again. No chance to catch your breath and realize maybe you need to speed things up, maybe certain personnel group would work better, or hey we haven't run the ball in 15 plays.

It's a hard thing to explain, but as a HC when you're not bogged down in the details you can see trends, opportunities, weaknesses, etc. you may not otherwise see. MM has been doing it for a long time, and I'm sure he feels he can walk and chew gum at the same time. (Unlike Hundley.) Just one of those things that can never be proven or dis-proven.

And I will say, it wouldn't kill MM to get more involved on defense throughout the week and on game day. He is HEAD coach after all, and defense is part of that.

Is there something that makes you think Rodgers doesn’t call plays. I’m guessing when they no-huddle(which they do a lot) Rodgers is picking from a few options. He is a football god with a high football IQ. He audibles a ton.

Honestly nothing makes me think Rodgers is unlike any other great QB and has a lot of playcalling ability.

Is there something that makes you think Rodgers doesn’t call plays. I’m guessing when they no-huddle(which they do a lot) Rodgers is picking from a few options. He is a football god with a high football IQ. He audibles a ton.

Honestly nothing makes me think Rodgers is unlike any other great QB and has a lot of playcalling ability.

Probably why there is no attention to the running game. Oh what a friend that could be.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Probably why there is no attention to the running game. Oh what a friend that could be.

There was in 2013 and 2014 when they had a healthy Eddie Lacy. 2015 and 2016, when they didn't have healthy RBs, there wasn't.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Huh? You do know there is a lot more to this position than simply calling plays? I hope this was more out of frustration that MM would hold onto these duties than understanding all that goes into this role.

Evidently the OC only works one day a week! :laughing

I'm pretty certain that the OC has a lot of responsibilities on analyzing his players and designing plays that best fit them. He would be watching for trends and self-scouting (beyond the normal bye week activities). Since MM calls the plays, having someone he will listen to and trust for advice that can add creativity would be the main goal, IMO.

So McCarthy is "involved" in hiring the new GM? Are you even kidding me? (I'm close to begging the mods to lift the swear filter, BEGGING!!). I mean who doesn't get to pick their own boss? And Mac is also interviewing in house candidates for D coordinator? WHY? We're going to end up with Russ Ball as GM and Joe Witt as DC.

So McCarthy is "involved" in hiring the new GM? Are you even kidding me? (I'm close to begging the mods to lift the swear filter, BEGGING!!). I mean who doesn't get to pick their own boss? And Mac is also interviewing in house candidates for D coordinator? WHY? We're going to end up with Russ Ball as GM and Joe Witt as DC.

Yep! Nothing changes, Rodgers leaves after the 2019 season and goes to the Patriots where he wins 3 straight Super Bowls and the 70's and 80's Packer teams return.

I've interviewed my own boss. Just means you want smart people's opinions and the ability to work with people that will be there.

Please back away from the ledge.

I'll try, but the Pack isn't making it very easy. This is the chance for real change that can help maximize Rodgers last nine. And it looks like the status quo. Being a public company you would think there would be more transparency but at the moment it's just more Ted Thompson cloak and dagger. That was another trait Ted didn't wow the masses with ( and for the record I was/ and to some extent still am a TT fan).

I've interviewed my own boss. Just means you want smart people's opinions and the ability to work with people that will be there.

I have as well. It really didn't bother me until I finally actually saw/heard MM's comments last night. The way he explained it didn't sit right with me. I can't put my finger on it, he just sounded really arrogant about it.

We'll see how this all shakes out, I'm just real iffy on Murphy and having TT hang around the building isn't a good start.

Did McCarthy always call plays since he got here? It seems like in Rodgers first years as a starter the offense was more creative and used lots of weird formations now it's pretty bland. Maybe that has more to do with the players than the coaches though.

That's the drawback of playing a no-huddle/hurry up style of play - doing so limits what you can do with substitutions/personnel groupings, and frankly it also limits the plays you can call from various formations. The advantage of the hurry up is you often force a defense to really limit coverages/blitz packages and end up making the game more about winning matchups - with a healthy Rodgers' ability to extend plays, even when receivers aren't initially getting themselves open there are normally plays to be had. When Rodgers struggles, this hurry-up style looks awful and unimaginative - much like it did the 1st half of last year when they were really struggling.

Early in Rodgers' career he wasn't given the same level of control at the line of scrimmage, as a result, McCarthy had no problem running the offense with a constant shuttle of personnel groupings from the sideline - IF the Packers had a reliable running game, I think this is the style of offense that would benefit the team the most as Rodgers ages. However, it would take away from alot of those plays where Rodgers catches a defense with 12 men.

Frankly, it's really tough to set up an offense with both schemes - so what they've decided to do is lean on Rodgers to dominate games (rightly so, IMO). However, I think the run game suffers because of it.

Yes, this is very common in workplaces. I think it is very understandable that you would want your head coach and GM to be on the same page for the direction of the franchise. It usually doesn't work too well if they are not. Leading to a coach being fired and then the search for the right fit takes place once again and if we know anything from a lot of the other franchises, those searches can take a long, long time.

To the post about his arrogance. We praise him when he is arrogant about the Packers and how this franchise should be viewed but we want to tear him down if he has the same arrogance about his coaching abilities. It doesn't make too much sense to me. You think Belichek isn't arrogant? How about any of the other great head coaches of our time? The same goes for just about any great player. Rodgers is as arrogant as they come. Favre, same. Brady... you bet. It's apart of the DNA that goes with the territory of these positions. Some of it is the reason these people have ever got to the positions they have and had success while doing it.

Bombshell report out of New England that this may be Belichick's last year in New England because of friction between BB/Brady/Kraft. Sounds like Belichick was basically forced into trading Jimmy G by Kraft and Brady.

Just for fun, hypothetically if BB were to find himself available after the season and interested in the opportunity here, would you fire McCarthy, hand Belichick the reins to both GM and HC and basically give him total control?

I'll try, but the Pack isn't making it very easy. This is the chance for real change that can help maximize Rodgers last nine. And it looks like the status quo.

The Packers have the 2nd best record in the NFL since 2011. The status quo has been pretty good.

Bombshell report out of New England that this may be Belichick's last year in New England because of friction between BB/Brady/Kraft. Sounds like Belichick was basically forced into trading Jimmy G by Kraft and Brady.

Just for fun, hypothetically if BB were to find himself available after the season and interested in the opportunity here, would you fire McCarthy, hand Belichick the reins to both GM and HC and basically give him total control?

It'd be a pretty rotten thing to do to McCarthy who won a Super Bowl for your franchise but I could see why it would be appealing.

Um, yes - and I'd think just about every other owner across the NFL would do the same thing (Assuming Belichek still wants that sort of gig for more than 1-2 seasons)

Archived