Brewer Fanatic

Packers Offseason Moves- Latest: Gutekunst Hired as GM, signed to 5-year deal (Joe Philbin-OC, Mike Pettine-DC)

pacopete4
  • Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Something is going to happen with Nelson or Cobb or both. They aren't going to pay three WR 35 million next season.

Let the Jeff Janis era commence!

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It has to be the end of Jordy, right? He’s 33 next season. Cobb is only 27 and fits the role that Adams doesnt. Maybe Jordy and Cobb will both restructure but I don’t know, doesn’t seem realistic. Feelings and egos will be hurt.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It has to be the end of Jordy, right? He’s 33 next season. Cobb is only 27 and fits the role that Adams doesnt. Maybe Jordy and Cobb will both restructure but I don’t know, doesn’t seem realistic. Feelings and egos will be hurt.

They could defer some of Adams deal until later on so they don't take as big a hit next year. Possible all three are back. Won't be the case after that though.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Jordy was great in the slot last year when he played there. He could be the Packers version of Fitgerald. Either way, if Cobb and/or Nelson aren't restructured, one of them should be cut.

Based on what? Packers receivers don't rack up a ton of stats because of the depth they have. The guys who put up big numbers don't have a #2/#3 with the caliber of Nelson/Cobb to share the ball with.

Adams is 2nd in the league in TDs despite having Hundley start a majority of the games this year, and was 2nd in the league in TDs last year. He's a weapon in the red zone because of his length and leaping ability.

Packers also extend Linsley. Reportedly 3 years, $8.5M/year. This was a high priority, as they had no one to step in behind him.

These extensions are important because the Packers can allocate a % of those signing bonuses to this year's cap, and they have $10M in extra cap room available.

Adams is the 5th highest paid WR in the NFL based on average per year. I know NFL salaries are pretty wonky with signing bonuses, and guys reworking deals, etc. but doesn't that seem ridiculous? No way Adams in a top 10, maybe even top 15 WR, and yet he's getting elite money.

A lot of that is just timing. He will most likely not even be top 10 in salary by this time next year.

Adams is the 5th highest paid WR in the NFL based on average per year. I know NFL salaries are pretty wonky with signing bonuses, and guys reworking deals, etc. but doesn't that seem ridiculous? No way Adams in a top 10, maybe even top 15 WR, and yet he's getting elite money.

A lot of that is just timing. He will most likely not even be top 10 in salary by this time next year.

Yep, by resigning him before the season is up, a chunk of his cap hit goes on this season, so his cap hit down the line won't be as bad.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Based on what? Packers receivers don't rack up a ton of stats because of the depth they have. The guys who put up big numbers don't have a #2/#3 with the caliber of Nelson/Cobb to share the ball with.

Adams is 2nd in the league in TDs despite having Hundley start a majority of the games this year, and was 2nd in the league in TDs last year. He's a weapon in the red zone because of his length and leaping ability.

It's tough to gauge how good any Packer WR is since every one of them that has left did nothing afterwards.

Good job by Ted and co. with the recent extensions. Since Ted has been the GM I have been a big fan. But if 2017 is his last in charge, I'll be excited. A new voice could be the answer for Aarons last 6-8 seasons. I don't believe Murphy has the stones for the big move. But I remain hopeful.

It's tough to gauge how good any Packer WR is since every one of them that has left did nothing afterwards.

Who has left that was really in their “prime”? Jennings did but he was like 30 (I think) and had 1-2 good seasons after leaving.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Pretty ****in sad that we're supposed to get all jazzed up about Ted Thompson using our salary cap on extensions in week 17 of the NFL season. Good thing we used some of that 10 million to shore up the obvious defic.......or wait, no we didn't.

Yes i'm happy that we got these guys signed, we need them. Yes i'm happy that we aren't in constant salary cap conundrums. But for God sake let's spend a little money on UPGRADING the team this offseason for once where the deficiencies are obvious please. Aaron is 34 not 26. In my mind this is a bottom 5-6 roster in the league sans Rodgers on the field bailing them out every week. Unacceptable at least in my mind with all of the longevity and chemistry this organization prides itself on.

Tom Silverstein had a nice article this week about the Packers free agency strategy. His point was that worrying about one signing blowing up your cap isn't as much of a worry as it used to be. He said the Packs fiscal conservity was once wise but has become a bit outdated. Don't go hogwild but sign the right guys. Which is of course easier said than done.

In my mind this is a bottom 5-6 roster in the league sans Rodgers on the field bailing them out every week. Unacceptable at least in my mind with all of the longevity and chemistry this organization prides itself on.

I'll say it again, when 2/3rds of the league is drafting ahead of you for eight consecutive seasons that's what happens. The Vikings have drafted ahead of the Packers every year since 2010; they should be better than the Packers.

In my mind this is a bottom 5-6 roster in the league sans Rodgers on the field bailing them out every week. Unacceptable at least in my mind with all of the longevity and chemistry this organization prides itself on.

I'll say it again, when 2/3rds of the league is drafting ahead of you for eight consecutive seasons that's what happens. The Vikings have drafted ahead of the Packers every year since 2010; they should be better than the Packers.

If that were the case then perhaps a strategy change at some point might be warranted? Instead of accumulating 5-6th round draft picks and almost no FA activity maybe trade up for fewer/higher talent and sign some depth here and there?

Minnesota has drafted ahead of the Packers, but generally, not that much later. Seattle, New England, and Pittsburgh have perennially drafted late and have been fine. Cleveland has been drafting top 5 since about 1946 and still stink every year.

Obviously draft position matters but ultimately shouldn't be used as a crutch for not accumulating talent.

With that said I do think there's far more talent on D than the results suggest this year. We should find out soon enough with a new DC.

And unfortunately they whiffed badly at backup QB which turned out to be very significant.

Archived