Brewer Fanatic

Packers Offseason Moves- Latest: Gutekunst Hired as GM, signed to 5-year deal (Joe Philbin-OC, Mike Pettine-DC)

pacopete4
I'd be curious to see Brady's scouting report out of college. Everyone's seen his photo from the combine.

Edit: Google owns the world:

Poor build, Skinny, Lacks great physical stature and strength, Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush, Lacks a really strong arm, Can’t drive the ball downfield, Does not throw a really tight spiral, System-type player who can get exposed if forced to ad lib, Gets knocked down easily

That's actually from Brady's instagram but the dude seems like he plays with all kinds of chips on his shoulder so wouldn't surprise me if it was legit.

That scouting report isn’t too far off.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Backup QB is always tricky. Do you use cap space for a truly capable guy you hope never sees the field or save it for a position or positions of need? I'll never blame any team for keeping some cheap nobody as their backup. If your starting QB goes down for the year your season is toast anyway unless you've got a great running game or an elite D.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I hope they do something different this year though. Vikes have 3 QBs, so we'll see what happens there. IDK if Bradford would be a backup. I bet Bridgewater would.

After the SB, the Vikes have zero QBs. All three are FAs. Tough call on which one to trust as "real".

Wolf is under contract and cannot leave for anything, but an improvement...a GM job. Unless the Packers let him leave for a demotion.

Well he is interviewing in Cleveland today

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/01/browns_gm_john_dorsey_wants_to.html

While it is true that he’s under contract, Gutekunst said he will not stop Wolf from seeking a job elsewhere.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Wolf is under contract and cannot leave for anything, but an improvement...a GM job. Unless the Packers let him leave for a demotion.

Well he is interviewing in Cleveland today

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/01/browns_gm_john_dorsey_wants_to.html

While it is true that he’s under contract, Gutekunst said he will not stop Wolf from seeking a job elsewhere.

Yup, that was reported after I mentioned it.

Wolf will be gone. Sucks, but no way they were going to keep all these guys around forever, someone had to go.

Will be interesting to see how this new structure works. I really have my doubts, but we'll see how it goes.

Looks like Fangio is the front-runner for DC. Last time the Packers had an older DC it worked out very well, so I'm open-minded about it if that's who they hire.

Well I didn’t get my Rex Ryan but the Packers added Mike Pettine as their defensive coordinator who was Rex’s coordinator during his Jets tenure. Looks like a good hire. Hope it’s a fit.

I assume Mike Pettine brings the 46 defense traditionally used the Ryans and the '86 Bears? In this scheme, the corners play man-to-man exclusively and zone is not utilized by the secondary. If this is true, I like this hire and this scheme.

I assume Mike Pettine brings the 46 defense traditionally used the Ryans and the '86 Bears? In this scheme, the corners play man-to-man exclusively and zone is not utilized by the secondary. If this is true, I like this hire and this scheme.

I don't think anyone has run a 46 as a primary defense in the last 25 years, as the short passing game absolutely shreds that defense (and that's what every team can run now).

Couple posts on Pettine and how he likes to utilizes players versatility.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/5/30/4378242/buffalo-bills-mike-pettine-defensive-scheme-defining-versatility

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2014/2/20/5428416/mike-pettines-2013-buffalo-bills-defense

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Well, the current Packers personnel proved last year that they are completely ineffective in zone coverage. I'm sure you'll see some variation of the 46, along with a ton of different formations. If this is a defense that relies on players being in the right position, it wouldn't surprise me if the team makes a big effort to resign Burnett, while possibly cutting Matthews or moving him to ILB.

Report: Packers hire Frank Cignetti as quarterbacks coach

Feels as though McCarthy is trying to get people he knows and trusts around him. Can't say much about the guy as I know just about nothing about him.

In defense of McCarthy, all coaches and managers do this. Counsell brought in Murphy to be his bench coach for a reason. Yes you should have some opposing views and not everyone should be a yes man. Also McCarhy has no experience in working with Pettine so that isn't 100% true anyway.

In defense of McCarthy, all coaches and managers do this. Counsell brought in Murphy to be his bench coach for a reason. Yes you should have some opposing views and not everyone should be a yes man. Also McCarhy has no experience in working with Pettine so that isn't 100% true anyway.

Wasn't saying it was a bad thing...

Well, the current Packers personnel proved last year that they are completely ineffective in zone coverage. I'm sure you'll see some variation of the 46, along with a ton of different formations. If this is a defense that relies on players being in the right position, it wouldn't surprise me if the team makes a big effort to resign Burnett, while possibly cutting Matthews or moving him to ILB.

Here's hoping whatever his scheme is it doesn't involve leaving guys wide open in the middle of the field.

I do not think the Packers have officially named Philbin OC. It is possible that he could get the same title as Tom Clements did towards the end of his time at GB and they could bring in a Darrell Bevell. I really would like to get someone new in there to freshen up the offense even just a little, rather than just get the band back together.

I do not think the Packers have officially named Philbin OC. It is possible that he could get the same title as Tom Clements did towards the end of his time at GB and they could bring in a Darrell Bevell. I really would like to get someone new in there to freshen up the offense even just a little, rather than just get the band back together.

I believe you may be correct on Philbin not being official, but I assume that's simply a Rooney Rule thing. I don't believe they've 'interviewed' any other candidates for OC yet, so they're likely waiting on compliance.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Once Fangio was off the board I think Pettine was about as good as they could do.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived