Brewer Fanatic

Packers Offseason Moves- Latest: Gutekunst Hired as GM, signed to 5-year deal (Joe Philbin-OC, Mike Pettine-DC)

pacopete4
I wanted Wolf, but am happy with the hire. My only complaint on Thompson was that relied too heavily on the draft and took pride in having one of the youngest teams in the league each season. It seems like Gutenkunst will be more aggressive with free agency.

There's no problem relying almost exclusively on draft/ develop if you draft really well. They won a SB doing that with Rodgers, Matthews, Raji, etc. He brought in Woodson which worked out well.

Problem is, much like Ron Wolf, TT ran out of steam as the years went by. Nobody is going to have a perfect record on draft day, but TT had some bad drafts, and whiffed too often in the 1st round. Hard to draft and develop guys that don't even belong in the league. Then in recent years he developed this odd fascination with players from the West Coast. When you fall in love with one scout over all others, it's a problem.

Agreed, I think the downfall of the packers were that, the last 3 drafts were not that good and TT had no backup plan for Rodgers going down. Jones and King will probably be good but were just rookies, but after focusing on defense the last few seasons, besides Martinez and Clark, there wasn't much there. Also after being caught with no plan in 2013 when Rodgers went down, you would think they would have a better idea than throwing out Hundley. If they had a veteran QB as a backup I think they are a playoff team even with Rodgers for the last 3/4 of the season. Look at what the Vikes did after Bradford went down.

My biggest gripe with TT. Most people learn after getting caught with their pants down once. I will go so far as to suggest that an organization should be drafting a QB every single year. The position is THAT important to the franchise and it only takes one wrong step to take a guy down for a year or more. Worst case scenario you end up with a RG3/Cousins type of situation and have to trade one of them...but that's not such a bad thing is it? I guess that may be too forward thinking for pencil pushers inside GM offices.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

based on the quote given by Ron Wolf regarding Elliot not getting the gig this year, I'm pretty sure he's going to be gone whether he's offered a GM gig or a scouting director gig by just about any other NFL team at this point...

"At least he had the opportunity to interview for it," Ron Wolf told ESPN on Sunday night in a phone interview from his home in Florida. "Obviously the people up there don't think he's worthy or they would've hired him. End of discussion."

Wow I really thought Wolf would have gotten the job. Maybe he's not quite ready. Did he interview with two teams last year? I wonder if he'll hold out here or take a shot with another team?

I wonder if Wolf is leaving or just taking some time to get over not getting the job. Ball was promoted to Executive VP/Director of Football Ops and now all 3 (McCarthy too will report to Murphy). No mention of Wolf's role.

based on the quote given by Ron Wolf regarding Elliot not getting the gig this year, I'm pretty sure he's going to be gone whether he's offered a GM gig or a scouting director gig by just about any other NFL team at this point...

"At least he had the opportunity to interview for it," Ron Wolf told ESPN on Sunday night in a phone interview from his home in Florida. "Obviously the people up there don't think he's worthy or they would've hired him. End of discussion."

Well you would expect a dad to say that, but I don't think it has to do with him not being qualified. I think they took the more experienced candidate to mitigate risk.

I wanted Wolf, but am happy with the hire. My only complaint on Thompson was that relied too heavily on the draft and took pride in having one of the youngest teams in the league each season. It seems like Gutenkunst will be more aggressive with free agency.

There's no problem relying almost exclusively on draft/ develop if you draft really well. They won a SB doing that with Rodgers, Matthews, Raji, etc. He brought in Woodson which worked out well.

Problem is, much like Ron Wolf, TT ran out of steam as the years went by. Nobody is going to have a perfect record on draft day, but TT had some bad drafts, and whiffed too often in the 1st round. Hard to draft and develop guys that don't even belong in the league. Then in recent years he developed this odd fascination with players from the West Coast. When you fall in love with one scout over all others, it's a problem.

Agreed, I think the downfall of the packers were that, the last 3 drafts were not that good and TT had no backup plan for Rodgers going down. Jones and King will probably be good but were just rookies, but after focusing on defense the last few seasons, besides Martinez and Clark, there wasn't much there. Also after being caught with no plan in 2013 when Rodgers went down, you would think they would have a better idea than throwing out Hundley. If they had a veteran QB as a backup I think they are a playoff team even with Rodgers for the last 3/4 of the season. Look at what the Vikes did after Bradford went down.

We'll probably never know, but Hundley could be MM's failure. Maybe he really believed in Hundley, and wanted him as the backup- after all the time and work invested in him. Honestly, after watching the games this weekend, Hundley isn't that bad of a back-up QB. MM just failed to make the right adjustments to win football games with Hundley at QB.

I'm just hoping the GM and new DC can get on the same page and draft some guys who fit the new defensive scheme. There looks to be a lot of really good defensive talent at all levels available at 14. Christian Wilkins DT, Maurice Hurst DT, Vita Vea DT, Taven Bryan DE, Harold Landry, DE, Marcus Davenport DE, Ogbannia Okoronkwo OLB, Malik Jefferson LB, Roquan Smith LB, Tremaine Edmunds LB, Joshua Jackson DB, Minkah Fitzpatrick DB, Denzel Ward DB, Derwin James S. Would love the Pack to do what Buffalo did last year, and have a team with QB fever offer to move down 15ish spots and pick up a 3rd this year and a 2019 first rounder.

Also after being caught with no plan in 2013 when Rodgers went down, you would think they would have a better idea than throwing out Hundley. If they had a veteran QB as a backup I think they are a playoff team even with Rodgers for the last 3/4 of the season.

But the Packers DID have a veteran backup in 2013. The problem was that Seneca Wallace got hurt and was lost for the year in the first quarter of his first start.

Honestly, who had backup QB on their wish list heading into week 1? Yes, Hundley was proven ineffective and inadaquate. But people if people are claiming now that QB was a position of need, its with the benefit of hindsight.

There are only so many adjustments you can make as an offense. Hundley just was/is bad at throwing the football past 10 yards.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yea I don't think it was a mistake for the GM with the best QB in the world but one of the worst Ds to not waste draft picks on backup QBs every year. They've had Hundley for a few years and he's always done well in the preseason, to the point where there was talks about how much they could cash him in for before losing him. I think they felt confident he'd be ok, and honestly for a backup he was ok. Several teams have starters basically the same as him, some even made the playoffs. I think what deceived them was him not being able to handle the speed of the game on the field, physically he can make all the throws but just seemed like he processed things a split second too late instead of anticipating.

Also after being caught with no plan in 2013 when Rodgers went down, you would think they would have a better idea than throwing out Hundley. If they had a veteran QB as a backup I think they are a playoff team even with Rodgers for the last 3/4 of the season.

But the Packers DID have a veteran backup in 2013. The problem was that Seneca Wallace got hurt and was lost for the year in the first quarter of his first start.

Honestly, who had backup QB on their wish list heading into week 1? Yes, Hundley was proven ineffective and inadaquate. But people if people are claiming now that QB was a position of need, its with the benefit of hindsight.

Look at the Vikings, they had a veteran backup for Bradford and now they are in the NFC divisional round. I think if you had someone like Derek Anderson or Matt Moore instead of Hundley, you are in the playoffs this season. About half of the teams in the league have a starter with atleast limited starting experience thats all I am asking for. The Packers have not had this in forever.

I'd bet that if you asked them in August (and they could answer truthfully) who they'd rather have to play for them this year between the likes of Matt Moore, TJ Yates, Derek, Anderson and Keenum they'd have said Hundley. Basically all those guys have proven they can't hack it, then all of a sudden Keenum got good-ish out of nowhere. They were just wrong, it happens and no one is perfect. I guess I'm just saying I don't think it was out of cheapness or laziness, they were just wrong on their evaluation of how good Hundley was.

We'll see what they do this year. I'd say Hundley proved he's not good enough to trust again in this situation. So yea grab someone else and see what happens would be my move. And no, it better not be Tommy Callahan.

Teddy Bridgewater could be an option?

ETA: Pats basically did the same with Garoppolo as the backup to Brady, they were right. Packers did it with Matt Flynn when he first came up and were basically right. Packers did it like 4 times under Favre and were right.

I'd bet that if you asked them in August (and they could answer truthfully) who they'd rather have to play for them this year between the likes of Matt Moore, TJ Yates, Derek, Anderson and Keenum they'd have said Hundley. Basically all those guys have proven they can't hack it, then all of a sudden Keenum got good-ish out of nowhere. They were just wrong, it happens and no one is perfect. I guess I'm just saying I don't think it was out of cheapness or laziness, they were just wrong on their evaluation of how good Hundley was.

We'll see what they do this year. I'd say Hundley proved he's not good enough to trust again in this situation. So yea grab someone else and see what happens would be my move. And no, it better not be Tommy Callahan.

ETA: Pats basically did the same with Garoppolo as the backup to Brady, they were right. Packers did it with Matt Flynn when he first came up and were basically right. Packers did it like 4 times under Favre and were right.

Brett Hundley dreams of having the career that Matt Moore or Case Keenum have had. Hundley will be lucky that he's in the NFL next season the way he played. But then as you check around and realize a bum like Joe Webb (maybe Hundley can return punts. He can't be any worse than Davis) is still in the league, Hundley can coast for about another decade of not being any good. Just hope the new brass makes the decision that it needs to be on someone else's roster.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brett Hundley dreams of having the career that Matt Moore or Case Keenum have had. Hundley will be lucky that he's in the NFL next season the way he played. But then as you check around and realize a bum like Joe Webb (maybe Hundley can return punts. He can't be any worse than Davis) is still in the league, Hundley can coast for about another decade of not being any good. Just hope the new brass makes the decision that it needs to be on someone else's roster.

They had to play for the first time at some point too though, I think I just saw Keenum lost his first 8 games. Yea I agree, he proved this year he's not good enough to be trusted in this situation again. I didn't say that wasn't the case.

My theory is that the staff believed they were sitting on a starting caliber player as their backup. They were clearly wrong. My guess is they thought he was legit good and would do well, then trade him for a 2nd rounder like the Pats did with Jimmy. Obviously they were wrong. And I'd say go back and look at how some of those backups experience have done when they played before, nothing to write home about by any means. Sure, better than what Hundley did but all those guys had proven they weren't good enough to be starters in this league. So I guess it's gambling a bit to go for higher upside like they thought they had in Hundley vs proven blahness. And if you would have told anyone before this season Keenum would do what he did you would have been called crazy, he's basically been made fun of for years whenever he's had to play. Good for him though, always thought he got too bad of a bad rap, hope he gets some money.

Again, in a way I don't even know what we're arguing about, haha. I'm not saying Hundley was good. I guess I'm just saying I don't think it was out of cheapness or laziness that they ended up with him so not some kind of faulty logic or organization incompetence. It was just a bad player evaluation, which happens all over the league all the time. And these two (MM/TT) were right about an unknown QB evaluation a few years back where they put their careers on the line and I think they were right on that one.

I hope they do something different this year though. Vikes have 3 QBs, so we'll see what happens there. IDK if Bradford would be a backup. I bet Bridgewater would.

Or as a comp to these backups with experience. Take the couple guys for Denver who've gotten to play but haven't been able to hack it. Sure, I'd take them over Hundley now that we know what we have in Hundley. But let's say a team has a 3rd-5th round pick as their backup who's never gotten to play other than preseason who's done well in those games and you like what you see in practice from him (let's say Cardale Jones type, though I don't know how he's done in preseason). Would you rather roll the dice on that kid playing so at least there's a chance he's legit good (or at least better than guys who've failed a couple times already) at his rookie salary, or pay a few mil for proven blahness that you know you can't win with anyway. I don't think it's horrible logic to hope the unknown is better than a guy you know can't hack it and you can't win with.

They had to play for the first time at some point too though, I think I just saw Keenum lost his first 8 games. Yea I agree, he proved this year he's not good enough to be trusted in this situation again. I didn't say that wasn't the case.

My theory is that the staff believed they were sitting on a starting caliber player as their backup. They were clearly wrong. My guess is they thought he was legit good and would do well, then trade him for a 2nd rounder like the Pats did with Jimmy. Obviously they were wrong. And I'd say go back and look at how some of those backups experience have done when they played before, nothing to write home about by any means. Sure, better than what Hundley did but all those guys had proven they weren't good enough to be starters in this league. So I guess it's gambling a bit to go for higher upside like they thought they had in Hundley vs proven blahness. And if you would have told anyone before this season Keenum would do what he did you would have been called crazy, he's basically been made fun of for years whenever he's had to play. Good for him though, always thought he got too bad of a bad rap, hope he gets some money.

Again, in a way I don't even know what we're arguing about, haha. I'm not saying Hundley was good. I guess I'm just saying I don't think it was out of cheapness or laziness that they ended up with him so not some kind of faulty logic or organization incompetence. It was just a bad player evaluation, which happens all over the league all the time. And these two (MM/TT) were right about an unknown QB evaluation a few years back where they put their careers on the line and I think they were right on that one.

I hope they do something different this year though. Vikes have 3 QBs, so we'll see what happens there. IDK if Bradford would be a backup. I bet Bridgewater would.

Or as a comp to these backups with experience. Take the couple guys for Denver who've gotten to play but haven't been able to hack it. Sure, I'd take them over Hundley now that we know what we have in Hundley. But let's say a team has a 3rd-5th round pick as their backup who's never gotten to play other than preseason who's done well in those games and you like what you see in practice from him (let's say Cardale Jones type, though I don't know how he's done in preseason). Would you rather roll the dice on that kid playing so at least there's a chance he's legit good (or at least better than guys who've failed a couple times already) at his rookie salary, or pay a few mil for proven blahness that you know you can't win with anyway. I don't think it's horrible logic to hope the unknown is better than a guy you know can't hack it and you can't win with.

I believe your theory is right about them believing he's a starting quarterback in the waiting. But sorry, Case Keenum played quite well considering his team he was on, even being 0-8 in those starts. Case Keenum is a perfect example of a guy that has always needed to be in the right system and he probably has a full career of what he is doing this season. The arm talent was always there. Hundley? Not so much. He has always been what he is present day. Here is a bit from one NFL scouting report:

SOURCES TELL US "Someone will draft him, but I don't think he will ever be a starter. He can't read coverages and struggles to process. It is going to take a few years before he looks like a backup in my opinion. He has a long way to go." -- AFC area scout

BOTTOM LINE: Hundley flashes athleticism and talent, but his basic quarterbacking issues will take time to improve. In 2014, more than 54 percent of his pass attempts were from six yards and in, including 29 percent from behind the line of scrimmage, which is nothing like an NFL offense. Hundley is a "flash" prospect who shows the physical tools to be a starter, but his internal clock and issues with reads and progressions must be improved to give him a shot at becoming a decent NFL starter.

I mean, did he nail it or what? This dude is three years in and really didn't show any sign of improvement in the passing game.

I also want nothing to do with Bridgewater. He is another example of a guy that couldn't complete a pass passed ten yards. These guys rely too much on their legs to be consistent at anything in the NFL. Find a guy that can make the throws. Draft, draft, draft. Hopefully Gutekunst will learn from Wolf Sr. and draft the heck out of the QB position and find our next guy.

I mean, you realize Keenum didn't even get drafted right? And then cut by two teams, yet you're acting like it was obvious that he was legit. Sorry man, its pure hindsight 20/20 to act like anyone thought Keenum would do what he did this year. Coming in and going say 5-6 in 11 starts or 7-8 wins for a whole year with a barely above 1-1 Td to INT ratio would have been a realistic expectation. Again, fine for a backup but to act like it was obvious he'd win 11 or 12 games and have a 3 to 1 ration just isn't right. He's the anomaly to the rule, for the most part these retreads get passed all over the league and don't do squat whenever they play. Again, clearly a safer bet than unknown like Hundley. Kudos to them for doing that considering they had two experienced guys already. And physically I saw Hundley make about every throw you can ask, so that wasn't the problem. To me it was being a split second late and/or waiting for the guys to come open instead of anticipating. They put too much stock in him, they were wrong. Find someone new this year.

Here's a quick googling of Keenum's draft scouting btw if that's valuable:

"The pocket presence, poise and good decision-making Keenum displayed at Houston aren't enough for him to overcome his size (just under 6-1), lack of arm strength and accuracy.

His performance Sunday showed that while Keenum may find a way to stick in the NFL as a backup, teams shouldn't spend a draft pick to get him."

Moving on, how familiar are you with the contract situations of Bradford and Keenum? I'm not but I was talking to someone today about what they might do, I couldn't really say since I didn't know the situation well. You seem to though. I mean, obviously if they're financially bought into Bradford and Keenum is available any team would grab him in a second to be a backup. And you'd think a team like Denver and a few others might let him start. Obviously GB I'd take him in a second. However, how does MN let him go after this year? Even if deep down they think it's a fluke. Especially knowing Bradford is injury prone, but do you pay two guys?

ETA: google was pretty easy on this. Seems to me both are straight up free agents this year. So I'd guess they sign Keenum to a moderate 2-3 year deal. And then, just as we're saying here, draft a young guy to develop behind him and hope for the best. Who knows though, maybe they keep Bridgewater as backup, he's probably happy to just collect a check after what he went through.

And physically I saw Hundley make about every throw you can ask, so that wasn't the problem. To me it was being a split second late and/or waiting for the guys to come open instead of anticipating. They put too much stock in him, they were wrong. Find someone new this year.

That's about right. However, I'm still not so sure they got it wrong. More passes to the TEs and RBs, more slants, more designed runs, designed roll-outs, and frankly running the ball more in general all would have helped Hundley. You can't have your entire offense built on the WR sideline screen.

But yea, doesn't matter being in a system for 3 years, live action is a different animal. For all we know, he could get better. Kurt Warner was another guy who got kicked to the curb all the time until he figured it out. Is Taylor (Bills) better than Hundley? If so, barely. We need to look at Hundley through the lens of a backup NFL QB.

I mean, you realize Keenum didn't even get drafted right? And then cut by two teams, yet you're acting like it was obvious that he was legit. Sorry man, its pure hindsight 20/20 to act like anyone thought Keenum would do what he did this year. Coming in and going say 5-6 in 11 starts or 7-8 wins for a whole year with a barely above 1-1 Td to INT ratio would have been a realistic expectation. Again, fine for a backup but to act like it was obvious he'd win 11 or 12 games and have a 3 to 1 ration just isn't right. He's the anomaly to the rule, for the most part these retreads get passed all over the league and don't do squat whenever they play.

I never once stated that it was obvious that he was legit, just that he played quite well in that 0-8 start to his career that YOU pointed out.

And there have been plenty of retread stories. Heck, McKown for the Jets this year is another one. You are putting way too much of this on the record of the team under these QB's. Wins are a team thing a lot more than they are a QB thing. Keenum has played well but it isn't like he's been amazing. He is playing about what you'd expect from him for the most part.

I am a firm believer that there are plenty of guys in the league that if under the right system would be just fine.

And the Keenum got 3 more years and whenever he played he was just blah and cut by two teams. Houston of course didn't have the weapons GB has, but always had a good D. Rams obviously have a good D. So that's at least similar to what he has in MN. Before this year 24/20 int/td. This year 22/7. No, it's not close at all to what was expected. Just last year for the Rams he played 9 games just like Hundley this year. He was 9/11 after a few years of experience, Hundley was 9/12 this year in his first action.

I know I mentioned the 0/8 start at some point but I don't think I ever repeated it as a big thing. Just a part of history. He lost 8 in a row, with a 9/6 ratio. Obviously better than Hundley but that's nothing spectacular or to say he did quite well. Also, 6 of those TDs came in two games for Keenum.

I guess we just disagree on retread QBs that get passed all over the league. Maybe it's a safer bet to have them as they might reliably win one more game than gambling on an unknown like Hundley. Either way, you're not winning squat with them barring something really weird like Warner and so far Keenum this year. If you go that route though you never end up with Brady, Rodgers, Romo and how many others as your backups ready to step in.

Gutekunst (who looks exactly like Rudy) has said Wolf could be his right-hand man, but that he would certainly understand if he left. Loyalty is one thing, but I'm sure Wolf is itching to be a GM and doesn't want to wait ten years for his non-guaranteed turn to do so.

I agree with the poster above that I certainly figured we'd be fine with Hundley as a backup, but isn't it the job of the HC and GM to recognize how preseason and practice play will translate to real games? And they had three years to do so.

Gutekunst (who looks exactly like Rudy) has said Wolf could be his right-hand man, but that he would certainly understand if he left. Loyalty is one thing, but I'm sure Wolf is itching to be a GM and doesn't want to wait ten years for his non-guaranteed turn to do so.

I agree with the poster above that I certainly figured we'd be fine with Hundley as a backup, but isn't it the job of the HC and GM to recognize how preseason and practice play will translate to real games? And they had three years to do so.

Yup it is, and they were wrong. Management for every team is wrong about several players every year, this was one of them for GB and it bit them. It'll be interesting what they do with backup QB this year. With Rodgers at least 4-5 years from quitting, trying to find the next Keenum type to be stable if needed for 4 games is probably the route rather than drafting a complete unknown. When Rodgers is closer to the end then maybe start rolling the dice on younger guys to maybe find his replacement. That would be my preferred route I suppose. however, Hundley was playing for the first time and did go 4-5 with an 8-8 td/int ratio before the last two games of tank mode. So in a way you could say he did the job of a backup not horribly, hovered around .500. Of course just a bit improvement would have made a big difference in a couple games though. But I'm not sure the mental awareness is there to be any better than he was, so a safer route might the move right now.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'd be curious to see Brady's scouting report out of college. Everyone's seen his photo from the combine.

Edit: Google owns the world:

Poor build, Skinny, Lacks great physical stature and strength, Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush, Lacks a really strong arm, Can’t drive the ball downfield, Does not throw a really tight spiral, System-type player who can get exposed if forced to ad lib, Gets knocked down easily

That's actually from Brady's instagram but the dude seems like he plays with all kinds of chips on his shoulder so wouldn't surprise me if it was legit.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived