Brewer Fanatic

Braun, Zimmerman, or Gordon

Crash2303

a quick revisit to the 2005 draft- three 3B went in the top 5- Alex Gordon was #2, Ryan Zimmerman was #4, and Ryan Braun was selected #5.

Who got the best player? Which of the three would you choose at this point, to be on your team for the next 10 years?

still too early to determine who is the best or going to be the best, in my opinion. Ask me that one in another year or two.

As for who I would pick to be on my team for the next 10 years, my gut will say Ryan Zimmerman, but it really depends on what the rest of this team is going to look like, where I'm playing my home games, etc. When you build a team these are things you have to know.

I'd like to say Ryan Braun, I really would. But Zimmerman has actually made it through a full season and appears to be on his way to a decent to very-good season this year, too. Plus, his defense is outstanding.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Quote:
its a no brainer...its braun... look at the players he is surrounded by compared to zimmerman and gordon

How is this a positive for Braun? Wouldn't being in the middle of a much better offense inflate his stats compared to the other two players?

By the way, I vote Braun at this point because I'm a homer, but I think all three teams got tremendous players.

agreed, braun has been the best offensively and the worst defensively so far. I think Gordon will end up being the most complete 3rd baseman. Its still pretty incredible that 3 players from the same position went in the top 5 and all seems to be turning out to be pretty decent players.

Ill admit that when they took Braun i was concerned because they took the 3rd best 3rd baseman in the draft, and thought they should of looked into getting the best player at another position. There is egg on my face over that one.

Quote:
It's still pretty incredible that 3 players from the same position went in the top 5 and all seem to be turning out to be pretty decent players.

I'll admit that when they took Braun I was concerned because they took the 3rd best 3rd baseman in the draft, and thought they should've looked into getting the best player at another position.

I can't decide whether or not I agree more with the first part or the second...

EDIT: 1 - Gordon, 2 - Braun, 3 - Zimm.

(Although I don't think comparing them this year so far is anywhere near close)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

ask me again in three years. heck, i'm still thinking of Fielder and Hardy in terms of potential.

at this early stage i still feel that success or failure is still, to a large extent, determined by outside variables more than quantifiable talent. whether that be position in the lineup or the players around them or time spent in AAA.

at this point we can definitely say that all three are capable of All-Star production, but any rankings i would give would still be determined entirely on what scouts have been saying about them for years and not this year's stats.

It's too early to tell of course, but that's a discussion that people will have again and again. Makes me wonder if that draft will start to be talked about like 1985, in which college hitters taken in the first round included Surhoff, Will Clark, Bonds, Barry Larkin, Incaviglia, Palmeiro.

Right now it's hard not to like Braun, but I think the consensus has been that Z has the best defense and Gordon the best potential with the bat. Braun might be the most well-rounded player, though, and he's obviously started off on the right foot in the majors....we'll see where he sticks long term.

Archived