Brewer Fanatic

Mauricio Dubon

MVP2110
It might just be me, but i get this feeling that we will deal him this winter in whatever trade we make. He is getting closer to the big leagues, but yet we seem to be rumored to add a number of 2nd basemen. If we truly believed in Dubon to step in and be a future core piece we wouldn't be looking to resign Neil Walker or deal for Whit Merrifield. Seems like they would roll with Sogard/Villar/Perez until Dubon was ready. Adding a second basemen to a long term deal would lockdown 2nd, SS, & 3rd all longterm, therefore blocking Dubon.

He’s a good athlete and promising. Right now, he’s a singles hitter and needs a bit more pop. If he gains more strength, he can find some more gaps and get some XBH. I’d want to see that before I turned over a starting role. I think he can end up a very valuable utility guy in a couple of years, where you’d see Hiura or even Diaz at second. If, for example, Arcia went on the DL, it’d be nice to have Dubon available.

This team is developing nicely into a potentially talented and deep team if people don’t get too antsy and stay patient. Hopefully, we stay the course and let the controllable talent coalesce.

This team is developing nicely into a potentially talented and deep team if people don’t get too antsy and stay patient. Hopefully, we stay the course and let the controllable talent coalesce.

I agree with this statement and its why I hope DS withstands the urges/ impulses of others to go all in for 2018. He was able to do that in 2017. A 2nd time might not be as easy.

The foundations for a consistent contender are still being brought together. Rushing it or skipping steps for an enticing early reach for the ring could short circuit the entire process and doom the Brewers to a Pirates (20 yr 1992-2013)/ Royals (28 1985- 2014) / Seattle (16, 2001-present) playoff drought.

I think that Dubon's main problem is that he doesn't (yet) seem to have the bat to play 2B, and we already have Arcia at SS. So I think his likely future with the Brewers is as the utility man, taking the roster spot of a Perez or Sogard (or Villar). It'll be interesting to see how he develops, if he lives up to the more optimistic projections there could be some interesting decisions to be made at SS. But that's just speculation. I don't think he's getting traded, I get the feeling the organization likes him. Initially perhaps as a utility man, but one that potentially could be a useful starter at SS or 2B.

Archived