Brewer Fanatic

Carlos Santana to Philly - 3-years/$60M

reillymcshane
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

3-years and $60M for the former Cleveland DH/1B. Bit of a surprise going to Philadelphia as most people thought Rhys Hoskins would slide in at 1B. I guess he's staying the OF. Money is pretty good for Santana. The move takes a good bat off the market.

Also a fourth year option worth $17.5M.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/phillies-agree-to-terms-with-carlos-santana.html

3-years and $60M for the former Cleveland DH/1B. Bit of a surprise going to Philadelphia as most people thought Rhys Hoskins would slide in at 1B. I guess he's staying the OF. Money is pretty good for Santana. The move takes a good bat off the market.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/phillies-agree-to-terms-with-carlos-santana.html

I think this is much more than people expected, Hosmer is licking his chops somewhere. If Santana is worth 20 million per, what is Hosmer worth?

What would it take to take Rhys Hoskins off their hands? He'd be fun to have on our team.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think this is much more than people expected, Hosmer is licking his chops somewhere. If Santana is worth 20 million per, what is Hosmer worth?

Yeah, Hosmer has got to be loving it. Six years, $150M? That's nuts - but someone will probably pony up the cash. Just don't want it to be us.

I was expecting Carlos to get above $18M AAV per season so the money is no surprise to me. Happy for him he was able to get 3 yrs plus option yr (17.5M).

As a Tribe fan first, I just knew the moment Edwin E signed, Carlos was gone at the end of the deal. Only place I didn't know was the landing spot. I had figured he was going to Seattle but the Mariners went other directions this off season.

Santana's D at 1st is much improved over the past year plus (in some places ranking ahead of Hosmer). His track record for drawing walks keeps his OBP high despite a BA between .225 and .250.

He is a notorious slow starter with his 2nd half consistently above his 1st half numbers. It will be curious to see how Philly fans react to a 'down' 1st half from him in 2018.

The Brewers already have two first basemen and five outfielders. Good to see money going off the table in positions the Brewers don't need.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived