Brewer Fanatic

What's left for pen options?

Madhawk23
I saw that Albers bit from Jerry Crasnick this morning and became hopeful. Whether it's Albers or someone else, I hope whomever we get seems to be at least this strong of an acquisition. I'm not interested in a glitzy move, just a smart one. Stearns is normally pretty good for that (Neftali Feliz notwithstanding).

Houser and Williams to the bullpen from the Brewers MiLB

Add in Wang and Yungman

We have a number of AAAA arms that will fill in nicely in our pen. No need to go nutso in a year we will not be in a contention position. One quality reliever should hold us over until the trade deadline.

"we will not be in contention".

So you have the ability to look into the future? Essentially the same roster was one game short of playoffs last year. Your plan {go with AAAA arms) assures them of not being in contention. Sure perhaps they'll find one or two among their system who'll emerge as a late inning option, but odds are that will be after a number get tried and fail dooming the season. I'm frankly dumbfounded that at the same time they are entertaining spending big dollars on a FA starter or using multiple assets to trade for one that they won't pay the going rate to bolster their pen. We're two months from spring training and there is no 8th inning set up man on this roster and most of the FA options are off the board.

I am seeing YOGA in our future plans. Maybe a starter maybe a reliever. Unlike most people here I thinks he may rebound.

I honestly don't think late inning relief is a necessity. Knebal as closer with Hader, Barnes, & Jeffress there is passable until the deadline, where if they are struggling you can add a Swarzak like pitcher.

If Hader stays in the pen, his role will be the same as it was in 2017 and that is going multiple innings every 4th day or so. Do you really trust Barnes in the 8th inning? I don't. He's got value but he's not a top set up guy by any means. He's simply too inconsistent. At best he's a 7th inning option. I see Jeffress taklng over the Jared Hughes/Carlos Torres role getting working anywhere from the 6th though the 8th depending on who needs a day of rest.

They need a reliable if not top line 8th inning guy, that's capable of closing if Knebel goes down for any stretch. They had that going into last year with Knebel. If Knebel goes down, my guess is Hader closes, but that takes him away as the multi inning weapon or as an option to transition to start.

I think Barnes is going to be a bull pen stud this season. He has the stuff and just needs to put it together.

You could be right but he hasn't earned the role of setup man going into the season. He's been way too inconsistent and he'll be what 28 or 29 next year? Not saying it won't happen but it needs to soon or he'll be just a guy.

I honestly don't think late inning relief is a necessity. Knebal as closer with Hader, Barnes, & Jeffress there is passable until the deadline, where if they are struggling you can add a Swarzak like pitcher.

If Hader stays in the pen, his role will be the same as it was in 2017 and that is going multiple innings every 4th day or so. Do you really trust Barnes in the 8th inning? I don't. He's got value but he's not a top set up guy by any means. He's simply too inconsistent. At best he's a 7th inning option. I see Jeffress taklng over the Jared Hughes/Carlos Torres role getting working anywhere from the 6th though the 8th depending on who needs a day of rest.

They need a reliable if not top line 8th inning guy, that's capable of closing if Knebel goes down for any stretch. They had that going into last year with Knebel. If Knebel goes down, my guess is Hader closes, but that takes him away as the multi inning weapon or as an option to transition to start.

As of right now, I assume Jeffress is in the driver's seat to take on the set-up role. He has certainly had success as a closer in the past, and did a decent enough job after returning to the Brewers last year. I hope Barnes takes a step and becomes more consistent. My darkhorse candidate for a meaningful late-inning role, though, is Taylor Williams. I doubt he starts the year in that role, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him end it there. That guy's stuff is electric.

Barnes isn't the only option for set-up man. (I don't even like that term, or the role in general, but that's a topic for another day.) Taylor Williams is an option there, and there are others. Yes, I know Williams doesn't have experience. Knebel was coming back from injury and turned out to be a great closer. Thornburg was injured off/on with limited experience before turning in a great season in 2016. Lots of examples of this.

Honestly, if they think his arm is ready for the innings load, I would roll with Williams in that role. Find out ASAP if he can be a late inning guy for the next 5 years.

Archived