Brewer Fanatic

What's left for pen options?

Madhawk23

Now that most of the pen options appear to be off the board, what is realistic for us to expect at this point? Who's still out there?

I know Stearns doesn't seem to want to spend 14 mil+ for 2 years on a guy, but if that's the market right now - don't we need to go out and get someone?

Would a guy like Addison Reed demand even more than that? I wouldn't mind adding him as our 8th inning guy, but I'm guessing it is doubtful due to what he will command.

You have to wonder if the 2 years $14 million guys will out produce somebody like Adrian Houser... And/or if we add to the starting pitching through trade or free agency can you move Woodruff to the bullpen and would a 2 year $14 million guy out produce Woodruff?

To answer your question, I believe Reed, Tony Watson, and Brian Duensing are still available right? As well as Wade Davis & Greg Holland?

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Kevin Siegrist was very good in 2015 and 2016, but took a step back last year. I'd take a flyer on him returning to his 2015-2016 form. Only 28 next season. Not a LOOGY either - for his career he's been better vs RHB (.625 OPS-A) than LHB (.704 OPS-A). I don't think his walk rate is in line with what Stearns usually likes though.

Also second the Tony Watson rec (Siegrist has a higher K rate and slightly lower FIP, but higher walk rate). If the Brewers plan on putting Hader in the rotation they will need another LHRP.

I would be on board with the Tony Watson idea.

Siegrist and Duensing seem like interesting options to take a chance on. One other free agent left handed bullpen arm I have seen mentioned this off-season is Boone Logan, but he has been dealing with a nagging back injury so that would be more of a flyer option as well.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Not a fan of Hoover at all. His one effective pitch was the fastball and from 2015 to 2016 his velocity dropped from 94+ down to 92.7 and the fastball went from a plus pitch to a negative pitch. Since that time his MLB numbers are: 6.90 ERA, 1.90 WHIP, 6.32 FIP, 68 ERA+. Granted, much better in 2017 (3.92 ERA, 1.77 WHIP, 4.71 FIP), but still pretty bad. The scary thing is that I can see Stearns only being interested in someone like Jesse Chavez in a Tommy Milone type situation (minor league deal or split contract), but for some reason I could see him giving Hoover a major league deal (1 year, 3 million or something like that).

Not a fan of Hoover at all. His one effective pitch was the fastball and from 2015 to 2016 his velocity dropped from 94+ down to 92.7 and the fastball went from a plus pitch to a negative pitch. Since that time his MLB numbers are: 6.90 ERA, 1.90 WHIP, 6.32 FIP, 68 ERA+. Granted, much better in 2017 (3.92 ERA, 1.77 WHIP, 4.71 FIP), but still pretty bad. The scary thing is that I can see Stearns only being interested in someone like Jesse Chavez in a Tommy Milone type situation (minor league deal or split contract), but for some reason I could see him giving Hoover a major league deal (1 year, 3 million or something like that).

3 million? That money can be found under the couch cushion for a career pretty good reliever. Having difficulty seeing what is scary about it.

Knebel hader jeffress barnes drake is all we have right now right?

Williams Houser Baker in the maybe camp?

You have to assume Suter is in the rotation as of today. With Jungemann Guerra or Wilkerson.

No faith in Drake unless used as a loogy. They wont give up on barnes. Do we want to add 3 mil gambles or gamble on 2 once highly touted arms who aged (injuries) into a relief role? How fast tracked are we going to make Fperalta and Kodi in the pen? I wanted a guy for the 8th pretty bad but I dont think pen depth is an issue. We need a guy for the 8th so hader doesn't get wedged into a role.

Houser and Williams to the bullpen from the Brewers MiLB

Add in Wang and Yungman

We have a number of AAAA arms that will fill in nicely in our pen. No need to go nutso in a year we will not be in a contention position. One quality reliever should hold us over until the trade deadline.

Add in Wang and Yungman

We have a number of AAAA arms that will fill in nicely in our pen. No need to go nutso in a year we will not be in a contention position. One quality reliever should hold us over until the trade deadline.

I really don't agree but the truth of the matter if you simply look at innings pitched. Hader for a full year equals hader last year and swarzak over the whole season. Jeffress was an upgrade in his time vs anyone else we had all year save hughes. Everyone besides those 5... knebel hader swarzak hughes jeffress were 4 era and up. So to be as good as last year in theory we need someone to eat 60 innings as well as hughes did and not see regression from knebel hader jeffress.

Now that 60 ip 3era guy was my 8th inning add hope. Sub 3 high leverage was "all we needed." I wanted Cishek.

Asking Jeffress to be that guy... or Houser or Williams or Barnes or some 3 mil gamble is asking a bit much. Asking those guys to not suck at 4+ era levels is much more believable. Now if we want to fast track FPeralta I might agree that we have enough. As of now... this is just a bit too flimsy. Just like the 4-5 spots in the rotation.

Frankly if we stay quiet or add some gambles I go from the hader stays in the pen to hell might as well try "hader in the rotation" camp. Then our pen is knebel and cross your fingers.

Add in Wang and Yungman

"we will not be in contention".

So you have the ability to look into the future? Essentially the same roster was one game short of playoffs last year. Your plan {go with AAAA arms) assures them of not being in contention. Sure perhaps they'll find one or two among their system who'll emerge as a late inning option, but odds are that will be after a number get tried and fail dooming the season. I'm frankly dumbfounded that at the same time they are entertaining spending big dollars on a FA starter or using multiple assets to trade for one that they won't pay the going rate to bolster their pen. We're two months from spring training and there is no 8th inning set up man on this roster and most of the FA options are off the board.

Albers would be a nice addition. I'm just curious as to the reasons behind why he was so bad in 2016, because that year looks like the abberation of the last 7 seasons for him.

He started well in 2016 too. He didn't allow a run in his first 12 appearances that year and had an 0.57 ERA on May 9th. He fell off as the team started to sink. Have to think that guys brought in behind him didn't strand too many of his runners either.

I wouldn't mind seeing them add Albers. He pitched to an absolute ridiculous BABIP of .203 last year which is definitely not sustainable but historically he's had lower BABIP against him. Ground-ball pitcher that gets a lot of weak contact against him. Known for inducing double play balls to get out of jams. I'm guessing 2016 may have just been a case of bad luck. BABIP was .326 which is very high for him, ground ball percent was 48.6% which is very low for him, HR/FB ratio was 16.4% which is very high for him...probably just had location issues that he's worked out. Looks like he changed his repertoire a bit, using his slider much more than he had in the past and has almost eliminated the change-up...appears pretty much to be a fastball/slider pitcher now.

Would rather stay one year on him because he is heading into age 35 season.

Archived