Brewer Fanatic

Cub sign reliever Steve Cishek

reillymcshane

I was referring to past tense and how the Yankees/Cubs/Red Sox "rebuilt" - by spending tons of money in the international market. Their rebuilding period was accelerated.

The Red Sox have had two top-10 picks recently - with a World Series title sandwiched in between. The Yankees haven't had a top 10 pick since 1992. Those aren't rebuilds.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was referring to past tense and how the Yankees/Cubs/Red Sox "rebuilt" - by spending tons of money in the international market. Their rebuilding period was accelerated.

The Red Sox have had two top-10 picks recently - with a World Series title sandwiched in between. The Yankees haven't had a top 10 pick since 1992. Those aren't rebuilds.

Agreed.

The Brewers can get a farm system that avoids re-builds, but it will take very savvy drafting.

Two areas:

1. Hitting more between rounds 2-10 in the draft (I ran through 2000 to 2016, and it looked abysmal in terms of percentage). I am very optimistic about some of the recent drafts notching a higher percentage between Burnes, Stokes, Erceg, and Ponce.

2. Finding sleepers from the 11th round on, like Corey Hart, Brent Suter, Jason Rogers, and Lorenzo Cain. In 2017, Cody Beckman looks to be a good one with a VERY low walk rate, and a lot of Ks. Thinking another Hader there... while Gabriel Garcia could be a good catcher/IF.

If a team is willing to occasionally go against what the pundits say, full scale rebuilds aren't always necessary. The Yankees were able to flip Miller and Chapman for a stocked farm that makes their future look really bright. Many in the media and many fans couldn't believe that the Yankees were "giving up," but it was the right move.

I have never understood the short-term thinking that makes most teams unwilling to trade away assets mid-season if they have even the most remote chance of making the playoffs, or during the offseason if they have a solid option ready to move up from the farm.

A simple willingness to trade away players with less team control in favor of younger players with more team control can go a long way in limiting the extent of down-times.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived