Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Biggest Need

1. A set up man for Knebel.......... I am not sold on Barnes and everyone else is not proven. Is Stearns crossing his fingers that Houser or Williams turn out to be studs?

2. A left handed pen arm. Please do not use Drake because Hader is going to the rotation.

3. A starting pitcher. Anderson, Davies, Guerra, Woodruff, Hader, Suter........ Besides Davies and Anderson this is sketchy.

Anderson Davies Nelson gives us 2.5 pitchers who can log near 200 ip at sub 4 era. Woodruff lets hope. Burnes Ortiz are maybes. The clock is ticking on davies especially. Need 1-2-3 is young controlable pitching. We can't afford to buy it. Don't care about an ace. To compete our 1-5 has to be sub 4 and innings heavy.

Since the Brewers are in limbo where they are possibly competitive but still basically in a rebuild to gear up for 2019 and beyond, I think the #1 priority would be a cost-controlled SP who could anchor the rotation (along with Nelson) next year and beyond. That's basically a unicorn trade target, certainly not a target in free agency, and yet there's a guy on the market that fits that bill in Chris Archer. He's only 29 and is under team control through 2021.

I'd aim at just one Starting pitcher that will fill up innings. The idea on Jesse Chavez makes it seem Stearns may only desire a 1 year rental and growth from within the minors to fill it's needs when they are ready. Ortiz, Burnes, and Peralta all seen AA time. Dubon made it in to AAA. Right there come June could be your next SP/2b future. Also the Santana push to trade rumors, maybe for a SP, which opens Brinson's time to play. (sorta like Davis' trade opened for Santana) Maybe that's the biggest need, to continue in a holding pattern to keep open space for these guys to join the team and not get blocked with a 2 year or longer contract.

1. A set up man for Knebel.......... I am not sold on Barnes and everyone else is not proven. Is Stearns crossing his fingers that Houser or Williams turn out to be studs?

2. A left handed pen arm. Please do not use Drake because Hader is going to the rotation.

3. A starting pitcher. Anderson, Davies, Guerra, Woodruff, Hader, Suter........ Besides Davies and Anderson this is sketchy.

I'd add they need a quality hitter that won't strike out 150 times. The obvious opening is 2B, though I think they can be aggressive and go after real impact bat anywhere and let the chips fall where they may.

1. Trade Braun for future salary relief.

2. Trade Knebel for a big haul.

3. Trade Santana for a massive haul.

4. Trade Thames or Shaw for even more young, controllable talent.

5. Trade Broxton for a Lind type package.

#1 ranked farm system, and a team that wins 57 games. Sign me up!

I don't understand some of these goofballs and wanting to trade away every player once he gets good. There are value moves to be made, but this suggestion is basically a tear down/rebuild despite having a good young core. These moves will likely be made one at a time when we have someone waiting in the wings to fill the role. Hence why Santana/Broxton makes sense, but the other moves really don't.

I think they need to bring in four pitchers. Three need to be solid MLB options and the fourth can be the Jesse Chavez split contract. And I'm not talking about #2 starter types when talking about solid MLB options...I'm talking players who have been there, done that and have been around awhile and have proven they can get the job done at the MLB level. Guys like Jason Hammel are not excluded.

Currently my favorite targets are Hyun-Jin Ryu as a starter and Kelvin Herrera and Brad Brach as relievers. All are only controlled for 1 more season and all should be relatively cheap in terms of having to surrender prospects.

1. Trade Braun for future salary relief.

2. Trade Knebel for a big haul.

3. Trade Santana for a massive haul.

4. Trade Thames or Shaw for even more young, controllable talent.

5. Trade Broxton for a Lind type package.

#1 ranked farm system, and a team that wins 57 games. Sign me up!

First, that would be fine with me. I think some people believe we're two years farther along in the rebuild than we really are, but that's just my opinion. If they won 57 games I would be fine with that if we had another injection of high-end young talent.

But the real question for the "win now" crowd is why would trading those guys equal a 57 win team? Last year they were supposed to win 67 games, and surprised. Trades don't have to involve getting A or AA players in return. Sometimes the return is MLB or near ready MLB players. (Santana, Shaw, Anderson, Broxton for example.)

But don't worry, there's no chance Stearns is able to get proper return for all those players to trade them. Even if he did, I doubt he would trade all of them.

Archived