Brewer Fanatic

Angels To Acquire Ian Kinsler

MadThinker88

...and a few moments later he is selected by Pittsburgh in the Rule 5. The power of the top 30!

The triple-A phase. The Angels minor league system might be bad, but this one is on whomever compiled that list.

It feels like to me they had absolutely no idea who to put in that 30th spot in such a lousy system, and either picked from a hat or picked the coolest name.

Glad the Brewers didn't get involved here. Would rather they bring back Walker than trade a piece for Kinsler.

Yah trading guys probably not in our Top 30 prospects would have been deadly...

There's also the contract $ involved. I know we have spending power, but $11 million this year limits that quickly. The prospects I'll agree were highly likely to be inconsequential. Also I generally think this will be a buyers market at 2b this year. Many quality options and not much demand. At this position, I think it makes total sense to wait out the market. Could get Walker back on a 1 year deal to re-establish value in February if nobody goes 3-4 years.

If we can get Walker for 2 years, i agree. I'd take 2 years of Kinsler over 4 years of Walker though.

Walker is holding out for a 3rd year. Taking the Angels out of the equation helps.

I've heard that Walker was insisting on a 4-year deal, but that was a couple days ago and he (and his agent) may already have backed it down to 3 years.

They are still talking about very little demand in the second base market. If that's true it wouldn't be that shocking to see Walker have to settle for something like a 2-year, 17 million dollar deal and I'd be in at that price.

Glad the Brewers didn't get involved here. Would rather they bring back Walker than trade a piece for Kinsler.

Yah trading guys probably not in our Top 30 prospects would have been deadly...

Kinsler said he would only waive his NTC for the Angels so any talk about bringing him to Milwaukee is pointless.

Kinsler had a really odd NTC - all CA teams (Dodgers, Angels, Padres, Giants, A's), the NYC teams (Yankees, Mets), the Jays, Rays, and Brewers.

He was OK with being traded to Miami, Cincinnati, Seattle, the White Sox, and the Phillies. Apparently didn't want to go to a high cost of living area (CA, NYC), Canada, lousy facilities (Rays), and... Milwaukee? He'd rather go to Cincinnati, Miami, or the Phillies?

Kinsler had a really odd NTC - all CA teams (Dodgers, Angels, Padres, Giants, A's), the NYC teams (Yankees, Mets), the Jays, Rays, and Brewers.

He was OK with being traded to Miami, Cincinnati, Seattle, the White Sox, and the Phillies. Apparently didn't want to go to a high cost of living area (CA, NYC), Canada, lousy facilities (Rays), and... Milwaukee? He'd rather go to Cincinnati, Miami, or the Phillies?[/quote]

Those are all rebuilding teams that would never trade for him so they didn't need to be on his list. I'm sure the teams on his list were teams he really didn't want to go to and then places that could probably want him at some point and he gave himself leverage to get an extension or something in exchange for approving the trade.

Archived