Brewer Fanatic

Manny Machado

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I saw Dave Cameron at Fangraphs made a wacky comment in today's chat regarding Machado and the Brewers:

Dave Cameron: Part of me wonders if the Brewers might try to sneak in here (regarding Machado)

Dave Cameron: Could shift Arcia to 2B for a year, play Machado at SS, and really make a run.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/winter-meetings-live-blog-day-3/

Nothing serious. Just thought it was fun to think about having Machado for a year.

I'd be way more comfortable with Machado at 2b (if he can play it) or shaw moving to 1st and moving Thames. However, its not the first place he's been linked to mke and I don't know the cost but he carried baltimore for weeks after a real bad start last year. He wins games with his offense. He's a stud no doubt.

If the Orioles are selling, I'd be asking about Brad Brach and Dylan Bundy. Bundy would probably be pretty unlikely. Brach is only controlled for one more season, if they are open to dealing Machado it's hard to believe that Brach would be unavailable.

I'd be way more comfortable with Machado at 2b (if he can play it) or shaw moving to 1st and moving Thames. However, its not the first place he's been linked to mke and I don't know the cost but he carried baltimore for weeks after a real bad start last year. He wins games with his offense. He's a stud no doubt.

Aria moves to second before Manny does. Machado has been filling in at SS for the past few seasons in Baltimore with Hardy getting hurt. Machado is the better SS (of he/ Hardy/ Arcia) and if playing SS full time, he is easily in top 5 of all baseball (if not higher). Glove/ Bat/ Range. Machado has it all.

If the Orioles are selling, I'd be asking about Brad Brach and Dylan Bundy. Bundy would probably be pretty unlikely. Brach is only controlled for one more season, if they are open to dealing Machado it's hard to believe that Brach would be unavailable.

I think Bundy is do able but I would definitely check in on Britton though I think the Orioles are going to want to hold onto him to see if he can bounce back and regain some of his value after last season.

Aria moves to second before Manny does. Machado has been filling in at SS for the past few seasons in Baltimore with Hardy getting hurt. Machado is the better SS (of he/ Hardy/ Arcia) and if playing SS full time, he is easily in top 5 of all baseball (if not higher). Glove/ Bat/ Range. Machado has it all.

If thats the case... and I had no idea machado was that level of defender at SS (3b yes) then that's the type of middle IF stearns would PAY! If we traded for him and locked him up as he's crazy young I'd be all for this. Machado ss diaz or huira 2b is what titles are built on. If any of our OF prospects can defend cf well and hit well I trust platoons and thames types to fill out the rest. You load up at SS 2B and CF and the rest of the offense is easy.

Thats the only way I want Machado and yes I know hes looking at 25+/7 minimum.

If the Brewers acquired Machado he'd have to agree to an extension and Arcia would be going back to Baltimore with Hader and Santana, Phillips or Brinson plus. There is no way any of it is happening. Seriously, it would be a ridiculous haul that would deplete all the younger players that are near MLB ready. Machado would not give up an opportunity for free agency.

Orioles just Rule 5'ed three pitchers (Nester Cortes, Pedro Araujo, Jose Mesa). I don't know if the Orioles are intending on taking all three into spring training or if those players will be moved elsewhere. But if they keep all three heading into spring training one would have to think they would have high hopes that one or two stick on the 25-man roster. Time for Stearns to give the Orioles a call and ask about some of their pitching. Bundy would have a big, big price-tag but he's young and already a solid MLB pitcher with the chance to get much better. The bad part about Brad Brach and Zach Britton is they are only controlled for one season. The good part is that should lower the prospect price in a trade. Personally, I wouldn't be big on Britton because of his ridiculous salary (projected 12.2 million). I would love it if the Brewers could land Brach.

Cardinals are a front runner for Machado, I don't think the White Sox interest is truly serious as without an extension this is a silly move for them. Man this has the looks of Melvin-esque all-in, in this case selling the farm for a couple bats with limited team control instead of pitchers.

If the cards get him 2018 might as well be another internal year for mke.

Disagree. There's always going to be a team to compete with. It's not like we should be waiting around for the windows of certain teams to close. By the time the Cubs go into a rebuild, the Pirates/Cardinals/Reds will surely be hanging around. We should never punt on a season based on the flashy moves of another team, it should solely be based on the status of the current roster. If Stearns wants to use this season as another evaluation year for some younger guys, fine. I don't agree with it, but fine. The winners in December are not necessarily the winners in October...ask the Red Sox about that.

The winners in December are not necessarily the winners in October...ask the Red Sox about that.

I'd sure hate to have been playing in the playoffs last year.

Would you prefer the reference of the 2011-2012 Marlins offseason of Jose Reyes, Mark Buerhle and Heath Bell?

Sure, but I'm not sure many people were truly crowning that team.

I'm not disagreeing with the premise.

Just playing along, I would think the O's would ask for Hader + Woodruff + Brinson for Manny

I would actually accept that trade, but only if I could get Manny to sign a 5 year extension first....

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Baltimore has made it clear in reports that they are not giving ANY TEAM a negotiation window with Manny to get an extension done pre-trade. That said, the team trading for him would have the 2018 season to get a deal done or deal him at the deadline OR issue the Qualifying Offer after the season.

Manny is in the top 10 players of all of baseball. The debate is how high on that list. At this time, no Brewers are close to that list.

The Baltimore GM despises the word "rebuild". He is looking to reload & contend on the fly. So he is looking for MLB & near MLB talent, especially pitching.

Brinson makes sense because Adam Jones is a Free Agent after the 2018 season but Baltimore might take a lesser CF talent (Phillips or someone else) instead if it gets them the other necessary pitching talent.

The cost is steep (especially as some other clubs with deep farm systems are trying to get Machado (ChiSox, Philly, NYYankees)), but I think it would be more like: Arcia/ Hader/ F. Peralta/ Phillips (Baltimore preference) or Ray (Milwaukee preference) for Machado alone.

If thats the case... and I had no idea machado was that level of defender at SS (3b yes) then that's the type of middle IF stearns would PAY! If we traded for him and locked him up as he's crazy young I'd be all for this. Machado ss diaz or huira 2b is what titles are built on. If any of our OF prospects can defend cf well and hit well I trust platoons and thames types to fill out the rest. You load up at SS 2B and CF and the rest of the offense is easy.

Thats the only way I want Machado and yes I know hes looking at 25+/7 minimum.

Scary part is that if he has a good year I'd be betting on more like 30+/10.

From MLB trade rumors-

"Mlbtr's Steve Adams listed both the White Sox and Diamondbacks as “out of the picture” candidates, so their chances of working out a deal could be even more remote given Angelos’ wariness of any “creative” follow-up trades a Machado suitor could make."

"The Cardinals didn’t make “a formal offer” due to that lack of negotiating period, and the White Sox (previously thought to have made the strongest of all the offers) apparently didn’t include any of their top prospects in their proposal, Nightengale reports. Two executives said that Chicago made its offer with the belief that the Sox would only have Machado for the 2018 season."

Looks like it wouldn't take much to get Machado as teams are pulling back and rightfully so if you can only possibly have a guy for a year. Baltimore wants pitching and has a huge hole in RF. I see no reason why Domingo Santana, Luis Ortiz and a Bickford wouldn't be more than adequate.

Let Machado play SS for the rest of his career. That's what he wants, and then sign him to a 7 year deal. If Stearns is a disciple of the Astro's way then it wouldn't surprise me that he want's his own version of Correa.

Archived