Brewer Fanatic

Mets Agree To Terms With Anthony Swarzak - 2-years/$14M

MadThinker88
It has the feeling (depending on how the Brewers season shakes out) that I could have the very same feelings about Stearns and his ability to build a bullpen as I did this previous season. Like someone else mentioned, he's reactionary rather than proactive in going out and getting players. Winter meetings continue to be a dud.

I don't buy the reactionary stuff 1 bit. Reactionary guys overpay. We brought in thames vogt walker jeffress swarzak for next to nothing. He's a scrooge. He kicks all tires, lots of rumors swirl but he's setting his price and waits for a yes. Since he's a scrooge most offers get topped so he waits some more. I don't mind this but its not entertaining.

Shaw zero interest. Swarzak at 14/2 I'd be content and mildly nervous. McGee burns.

That's all well and good until we don't properly stock the bullpen. We should be targeting at least one higher end reliever. Beyond that, if Stearns wants to wait and see how the market plays out, that might make sense. I feel like he's playing a bit of a dangerous game right now, and might not end up getting any of the high end relievers we need.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It has the feeling (depending on how the Brewers season shakes out) that I could have the very same feelings about Stearns and his ability to build a bullpen as I did this previous season. Like someone else mentioned, he's reactionary rather than proactive in going out and getting players. Winter meetings continue to be a dud.

I do agree that Stearns did little to improve the bullpen last offseason (which I was alright with). There is no way to tell what Stearns has done/not done during these meetings. It has been said that he has offers out to free agents, so I feel like saying he has been reactionary may not be accurate. These contracts have been awfully steep regardless if we have the available money or not.

I don't buy the reactionary stuff 1 bit. Reactionary guys overpay. We brought in thames vogt walker jeffress swarzak for next to nothing. He's a scrooge. He kicks all tires, lots of rumors swirl but he's setting his price and waits for a yes. Since he's a scrooge most offers get topped so he waits some more. I don't mind this but its not entertaining.

Shaw zero interest. Swarzak at 14/2 I'd be content and mildly nervous. McGee burns.

That's all well and good until we don't properly stock the bullpen. We should be targeting at least one higher end reliever. Beyond that, if Stearns wants to wait and see how the market plays out, that might make sense. I feel like he's playing a bit of a dangerous game right now, and might not end up getting any of the high end relievers we need.

Need according to??? He's trying to sell high on santana and that would torpedo this offense. We only need one if he agrees with you that we are sitting at a window of opportunity right now. He could still be back building.

Knebel hughes (60 ip fa)

Added hader jeffress (stay) swarzak (out 29ip)

Barnes torres drake scahill marinez feliz peralta

Knebel and a full season of hader jeffress is already arguably better than we had last year.

Swarzak had a very good year last season. Not elite, but very good.

Entering his age 32 season, he's had exactly one very good season. That combined with whatever proprietary evidence the Brewers possess internally has me trusting that it was wise to not try to match the Mets' overpay.

Patience, grasshoppers, Papa Stearns is just getting started

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I really hope that we will do something to bolster the pen this offseason, and I think we will. These prices make me glad that we have a lot of pitchers in the minors, some of which will make the MLB rotation, but most of which will have their best shot as MLB bullpen guys.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Patience, grasshoppers, Papa Stearns is just getting started

[sarcasm]You're right. I'll just patiently wait for a Feliz-type signing to bolster our bullpen up a bit.[/sarcasm]

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Monty - I think that is the thing... We have MiLB pitchers who can come up and be effective out of the pen. As an example, anyone who will say that they knew Knebel would be as great as he was prior to the 2017 season is likely just kidding themselves.

In fact the Brewers should consider trading Knebel and getting a king's ransom for him. Just look at what Thornburg brought back.

I'm not saying that the Brewers shouldn't sign a free agent relief pitcher, I think they will... But folks getting upset because Swarzak got signed by the Mets might be overlooking how inconsistent most MLB relief pitchers are year to year.

Considering that, Stearn's job is to project which players will have breakout years in 2018, not react based on 2017 results. Leave that approach to the Dombrowski's of the world.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

A lot of hand wringing over Anthony Swarzak. I'm not really worried about our bullpen yet. If this is our bullpen in February, I'll jump on the bandwagon. There are plenty of good relievers still available via free agency and trade.

He may also be planning a big splash somewhere else on the diamond. I'll wait and see.

It is only troubling if they don't do a single thing, and even then perhaps they feel they have internal replacements available.

Wait and see what they do. I trust Stearns. I'm willing to bet they'll sign someone different who will out perform Swarzak.

Davis, Reed, Rondon, Watson, Duke, Hughes plus guys like Street are still there. If Stearns is targeting that controllable impact arm then I think Hader is in the pen.

I think we're looking at Knebel, Hader, Jeffress, Barnes as locks then the other 4 spots come from the above FA (or others) OR Suter, T.Williams, Houser OR someone cut prior to the season OR a trade. There's plenty of time and options for building a strong pen.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Huh? I didn't realize winter meetings were the only place to make a deal.

Where did I say that it was? Nothing I said was at all permanent.

You called it a dud which means failure or unsatisfactory. Groundwork is oftentimes laid at these meetings and the trade comes later. Just because there isn't a headline now does not in any way mean nothing is getting done.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Trade Knebel for a king's ransom.

Keep Hader in BP for another year, possibly in closer's role.

Williams, Jeffress, maybe Barnes can work late innings too.

Stearns can find an Axford/Turnbow type in an Indy league somewhere.

Pick-up a few cheap guys, shake it up, and get lucky one one.

Oh, by the way, some of you take the whole "I liked playing in Milwaukee" thing WAY too seriously.

te]

Where did I say that it was? Nothing I said was at all permanent.

You called it a dud which means failure or unsatisfactory. Groundwork is oftentimes laid at these meetings and the trade comes later. Just because there isn't a headline now does not in any way mean nothing is getting done.

"Winter meetings continue to be a dud."

This isn't a bad take considering we haven't done anything. Again, it all can change but so far our divisional opponents have gotten better and we have, well... done nothing really.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Does anyone else think Stearns won't overpay for anyone this offseason and then have a lot of budget room at the trade deadline if the Crew contends?

I don't think he's spending a bunch on a reliever via FA. Proably fill interally and maybe bring in a vet or two on a minimal deal.

He values verstaility on the roster; I'd imagine the same is true with regard to the financial portion of the roster. They have room but just because they have the payroll doesn't mean they need to use it now/on a FA. Keeping that money available might open up an option for a higher paid vet for cheap in a salary trade kind of move.

Just because the market for relievers has changed the last couple seasons doesn't mean the value to the team actually has. Obviously the whole roster is important and as a final piece to a championship team the bullpen obviously has an impact. I'm just not sure spending a ton in that area right now makes a lot of sense for a team that is still on a re-build, albeit an accelerated one potentially.

Good luck to Swarzak anyway.

This isn't a bad take considering we haven't done anything. Again, it all can change but so far our divisional opponents have gotten better and we have, well... done nothing really.

True, but it's December 13, 2017 and opening day is March 29, 2018

I'm anxious too, and it's made worse by the Cubs and Cardinals making headlines. I just have to constantly remind myself (or have my wife remind me) not to get too worried. The Brewers will make some moves that will help out the team.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

True, but it's December 13, 2017 and opening day is March 29, 2018

I'm anxious too, and it's made worse by the Cubs and Cardinals making headlines. I just have to constantly remind myself (or have my wife remind me) not to get too worried. The Brewers will make some moves that will help out the team.

Yep. I am in complete agreeance. Just replying a remark about a post of mine that really didn't need to happen. That's all.

I didn't know Anthony Swarzak would cause such a reaction.

I suggest everyone breathe a little. Winter is just getting started and baseball doesn't start until the spring. Our roster will be different when spring training starts. Knebel last year was a "he deserves a chance to get meaningful outs" guy and ended up being a top 10 closer. I feel we have at least one of those on our team right now (not saying a top 10 guy). I'm not losing sleep over Anthony Swarzak.

Stearns has been good/great in his tenure here. I would offer he deserves a little bit of slack?

Just because the market for relievers has changed the last couple seasons doesn't mean the value to the team actually has.

A lot of people read Moneyball and what they learned was that OBP was important.

I think what you wrote here was the most important point the book made. Every player is important in their own way. The market will continue to change and overvalue some players or positions while undervaluing others. The key is to determine what is undervalued and stock up on that, while "selling high" on overvalued assets.

Since the Royals made two straight World Series, everyone has been gaga over relief pitchers. The Brewers were able to capitalize on this in several trades during the rebuild, but if the price tag has now become too high, I won't be upset if Stearns uses his resources to buy some undervalued players.

~Bill Walsh

Just because the market for relievers has changed the last couple seasons doesn't mean the value to the team actually has.

A lot of people read Moneyball and what they learned was that OBP was important.

I think what you wrote here was the most important point the book made. Every player is important in their own way. The market will continue to change and overvalue some players or positions while undervaluing others. The key is to determine what is undervalued and stock up on that, while "selling high" on overvalued assets.

Since the Royals made two straight World Series, everyone has been gaga over relief pitchers. The Brewers were able to capitalize on this in several trades during the rebuild, but if the price tag has now become too high, I won't be upset if Stearns uses his resources to buy some undervalued players.

This. Building baseball teams is just like the stock market. Hard to do, but the blueprint is simple. Buy low, sell high. Ride the bulls when you find 'em. Value > Perception.

Archived