Brewer Fanatic

Mets Agree To Terms With Anthony Swarzak - 2-years/$14M

MadThinker88

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is disappointing, as he did a great job fortifying the pen last year. The bullpen dominos are starting to fall, yet the Brewers remain in a holding pattern. I know there is a lot of time yet, but it would be nice to hear some news coming out of the organization this week other than the 600 fan giveaways they have scheduled for this year.

With all the RP's that have signed so far I'm guessing any top tier or second tier RP aren't coming to Milwaukee and Stearns is going to pick up the scraps. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing but it would have been nice to get at least 1 "proven" guy.

I agree, but I'd call it one "high caliber" guy and not use the word "proven". I wanted someone with some closing experience in case Knebel isn't as sharp to start the year. That's why I'm hoping for Addison Reed. Hopefully Stearns can make a deal or two.

How about this: Considering all the contracts being given in the Relief Market (Swarzak, Shaw, etc), can we agree that the idea of signing Knebel to a 4 yr 18 Million extension is a pipe dream with basically no chance of happening (as he would refuse that extension)??

These contracts make me feel vindicated/ correct from my debate/ argument with clancyphile as the off-season began.

Would have loved for him to come back, but it's hard to be too frustrated we haven't done anything given the early prices on these contracts.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

This is disappointing, as he did a great job fortifying the pen last year. The bullpen dominos are starting to fall, yet the Brewers remain in a holding pattern. I know there is a lot of time yet, but it would be nice to hear some news coming out of the organization this week other than the 600 fan giveaways they have scheduled for this year.

I agree with this sentiment. Some times it seems (from the outside at least) that Stearns is very reactive when it comes to free agency instead of proactively targeting guys. I could be way off since we have no way of really knowing but that’s what it seems from my perspective

And just like that both of my preferred relievers, Swarzak and Tommy Hunter, are both off the market. Hunter got more money than anticipated and more than I would have paid, but I think Swarzak would have been a solid addition at the 2 year, 14 million dollar price-tag (of course, he may have still rejected that offer from the Brewers to play in New York instead).

Kind of like Kelvin Herrera as a trade target now.

How about this: Considering all the contracts being given in the Relief Market (Swarzak, Shaw, etc), can we agree that the idea of signing Knebel to a 4 yr 18 Million extension is a pipe dream with basically no chance of happening (as he would refuse that extension)??

These contracts make me feel vindicated/ correct from my debate/ argument with clancyphile as the off-season began.

Knebel is under control for 4 years anyways. He'd still maybe make some sort of deal if it basically trades in his projected value for security. I don't think he'd add the extra year, though, unless it was a pretty lucrative one.

Feliz got 5 million and was awful. Swarzak at 7 million a year is peanuts. If he has another good year, they could have traded him for a prospect or two. Stearns is going to pick up a couple guys from the scrap heap. One or two guys he thinks are going to have a bounce back year. Knebel is going to get over 10 million a year easily if he keeps putting up great numbers.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I feel like Stearns is going to avoid paying a ton for relievers. My guess is that he'd be more inclined to trade for one at the deadline than shell out a bunch of money to a guy.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It has the feeling (depending on how the Brewers season shakes out) that I could have the very same feelings about Stearns and his ability to build a bullpen as I did this previous season. Like someone else mentioned, he's reactionary rather than proactive in going out and getting players. Winter meetings continue to be a dud.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Does anyone else think Stearns won't overpay for anyone this offseason and then have a lot of budget room at the trade deadline if the Crew contends?

I don't see Swarzak's deal as an overpay. That's the market. Stearns shying away from paying the market price for a guy who had expressed interest in returning is troubling.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It has the feeling (depending on how the Brewers season shakes out) that I could have the very same feelings about Stearns and his ability to build a bullpen as I did this previous season. Like someone else mentioned, he's reactionary rather than proactive in going out and getting players. Winter meetings continue to be a dud.

Huh? I didn't realize winter meetings were the only place to make a deal.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Huh? I didn't realize winter meetings were the only place to make a deal.

Where did I say that it was? Nothing I said was at all permanent.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don't buy the reactionary stuff 1 bit. Reactionary guys overpay. We brought in thames vogt walker jeffress swarzak for next to nothing. He's a scrooge. He kicks all tires, lots of rumors swirl but he's setting his price and waits for a yes. Since he's a scrooge most offers get topped so he waits some more. I don't mind this but its not entertaining.

Shaw zero interest. Swarzak at 14/2 I'd be content and mildly nervous. McGee burns.

Does anyone else think Stearns won't overpay for anyone this offseason and then have a lot of budget room at the trade deadline if the Crew contends?

I don't see Swarzak's deal as an overpay. That's the market. Stearns shying away from paying the market price for a guy who had expressed interest in returning is troubling.

Market price holds zero value. Value is god.

Archived