Brewer Fanatic

Sunday Overkill

rickh150

I've been meaning to write on this for a while now, but with the promotional schedule out today it seemed like the right time. Do others feel, like me, that Sunday's have way too much crammed into them? Promotions, deals, festivities, freebies are loaded on Sundays. Let's take a look....

Brewers On Deck- Since 2010 or so... a Sunday.

Giveaways- 11 Sundays (next closest- 5 Fridays)

Free Food (Kids)- Sundays

Helfaer Field (Catch with kids)- Sundays

Camp out at Miller Park- Saturday nights to Sunday morning

Kids Crew Parade on Field- Sundays

Kids Run Bases- Sundays

I don't get to any Sunday games. For my selfish reasons, it would be nice to have some of these things spread out a bit more among the other days. I know that I'd like a little more flexibility in the schedule. Why have all these things on one day throughout the entire season? Mix it up a bit and offer catch at Helfaer on a Tuesday night. Have a few more giveaways on Summer weekday afternoon games. Let the kids run the bases on a Friday night.

Anyone else feel the same?

I don't get to any Sunday games. For my selfish reasons, it would be nice to have some of these things spread out a bit more among the other days. I know that I'd like a little more flexibility in the schedule. Why have all these things on one day throughout the entire season? Mix it up a bit and offer catch at Helfaer on a Tuesday night. Have a few more giveaways on Summer weekday afternoon games. Let the kids run the bases on a Friday night.

Anyone else feel the same?

That would be a dumb idea by the Brewers to do this. The majority of their fan base especially the families are going to be at games on Sunday's versus any other day of the week. Doing these giveaways on any other day than a Saturday or a Sunday makes very little to no sense. The impact of doing these giveaways on a weekday is just well nicely put is stupid. Economically it doesn't make sense and from a marketing side it also doesn't make any sense to put these on a weekday.

You just won't get the desired outcome from having these events on a weekday compared to a Sunday or a Saturday. The crowd on weekdays and Saturdays are normally vastly different than crowds on Sunday's. On Sunday you are going to have a majority being families while on the weekdays and Saturday you are going to see the crowd being less of a family crowd. The Brewers have to play into this and they have done a very good job at playing to their audience especially with the promotions.

It is just easier for families to get to Saturday and Sunday games and Saturday will always have good attendance even without the promotion so they load up on Sunday. Logistically it just makes sense to have something like the base run on Sunday as lines are always huge and the Brewers want to get the fans out of the stadium and parking lot ASAP during night games. The Brewers do always seem to have special ticket promotions like the Star Wars bobble on a non Sunday.

I realize I'm probably in the minority, but I've never attended a game due to a scheduled promotion. It strikes me as odd that other people do.

Sunday promotions are aimed at making the entire experience a fun one for families. Getting families in the park is essential for creating new fans. That's the lifeblood of a franchise. Why anyone would have a problem with that is beyond me.

I realize I'm probably in the minority, but I've never attended a game due to a scheduled promotion. It strikes me as odd that other people do.

My family usually buys tickets the morning they go on sale, in mid-February, to get the best seats. You can't guaranty pitching matchups that far in advance; pretty much the only thing you know you're going to get are the promo items.

Sunday games are always going to be good family giveaway days since families can drive from the far reaches of the state to Milwaukee for a 1pm start, and drive home afterwards without having to book a hotel room.

I don't think you are necessarily in the minority because I never really cared about promotions when single except for the 50% off tickets for the five county area. Now one of the promotions mentioned previously is free food for kids on Sunday and saving money is always a draw. I have a couple of kids and it is nice not to have to pay ballpark prices for the one hot dog they will each eat and a couple innings later they get the ice cream.

Sunday promotions are aimed at making the entire experience a fun one for families. Getting families in the park is essential for creating new fans. That's the lifeblood of a franchise. Why anyone would have a problem with that is beyond me.

Families come other days of the week, as well. My family comes weeknights (early starts 6:40). Why anyone would have a problem with putting a few more promotions for families on other days is beyond me.

Families come other days of the week, as well. My family comes weeknights (early starts 6:40). Why anyone would have a problem with putting a few more promotions for families on other days is beyond me.

That is not the problem. The problem is economically it would be a bad idea for the Brewers to do this. Weeknights for families is just not something the Brewers should be doing as the cost out weighs the benefit. You are just not going to draw enough people to pay for the promotion even if the promotion is basically free.

I agree with the original point. Summer Sunday games are always going to fill up unless the team is just totally unwatchable. It doesn't make any sense to spend money to get people to come to games that are probably going to be close to a sellout anyway.

Whose money is being spent? Most of the things mentioned in the original post are sponsored events. The companies who sponsor the events pay a fee for that. If my company was sponsoring a bobblehead , ice cream cone, or a t-shirt I would sure want it on a high attendance day.

Families with grade school & younger children are not taking their families out to an evening game in anywhere near the same proportion that they will go to an afternoon game. Maybe they'll add more promotions to other nights, but they certainly won't reduce what's being offered on Sundays.

As was already pointed out, the lifeblood of a team is drawing fans - and you have to start cultivating that interest at a young age so the whole idea is to make sure those kids have a blast on Sundays, and are much less interested in schedule flexibility for older fans.

Is the root of your gripe that you'd like to go to more games on Sundays but they've become too crowded for your liking, or that you'd like to avoid Sundays but can't because you want the promotional item?

Gruber Lawffices

Families with grade school & younger children are not taking their families out to an evening game in anywhere near the same proportion that they will go to an afternoon game. Maybe they'll add more promotions to other nights, but they certainly won't reduce what's being offered on Sundays.

As was already pointed out, the lifeblood of a team is drawing fans - and you have to start cultivating that interest at a young age so the whole idea is to make sure those kids have a blast on Sundays, and are much less interested in schedule flexibility for older fans.

Is the root of your gripe that you'd like to go to more games on Sundays but they've become too crowded for your liking, or that you'd like to avoid Sundays but can't because you want the promotional item?

The root is that one day of the weeks gets a disproportionately high amount of promos/events/specials. I don't attend Sunday games and miss out on several perks. So part of it is selfish, but most of it is amazement that one day gets all this attention when clearly other days bring in large crowds and many families. Even weeknight summer games get 30,000 some nights. Not upset just puzzled.

Personally, I only go to promo games. I look at the promo schedule, decide which promos I want the most (typically bobbles) then I get tickets to those games. Anyone who thinks promo items don't bring in fans is crazy. lol Want to boost Wednesday night attendance, offer up a free bobblehead, attendance will increase, that is a given.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived