Brewer Fanatic

Patrick Corbin

NOMAAM
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm just baffled that teams didn't go righty-heavy and dominate him. Looks like the Brewers did that.

He's basically a two-pitch pitcher with his fastball and slider. He doesn't have a changeup to use against righties so they club him like a baby seal

@WiscoSportsNut

Throwing it out there.

Patrick Corbin, Pavin Smith, Jon Duplantier and Matt Tabor

For

Santana

2 top 100 guys, stop gap solid pitcher and a good lottery arm. Still too light?

I really think I'm good with this. Restocks farm, depth Rotation arm. No draft pick loss to acquire. Give me Varsho over Tabor though.

https://www.mlb.com/news/predictions-for-yu-darvish-arrieta-others/c-265696130

Six bold predictions article lists

Corbin for Broxton.

I know it’s just speculation by the author, but that’s pretty close to where I would peg Broxton’s value. Either for a decent rental arm or some low level lottery tickets.

Gruber Lawffices

Corbin for Broxton.

I'd be down with that. Perhaps this is the "HOT" smaller move speculated about last week? Arizona is hot, right? The straws I'm grasping at are getting pretty short.

Corbin for Broxton.

I'd be down with that. Perhaps this is the "HOT" smaller move speculated about last week? Arizona is hot, right? The straws I'm grasping at are getting pretty short.

I wouldn't hate having this available as a fallback, Corbin could tide us over for a year while we see what we have in Nelson's return/Burnes/Woodruff. I'd prefer to target better pitchers though even if it means giving up more.

Am I the only one who thinks Corbin just isn't worth getting? I'd much rather keep Broxton around as a 4th OF. He still provides value, especially on defense, and he's cheap!
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I'd do Corbin for Broxton. I think Broxton's value is as a platoon hitter, which we do not need anymore and which I don't think carries a ton of value around the league. Corbin is underrated and I realize only a one-year guy, but I think he'd do pretty well.

Plus, if he pitches well, the Brewers could extend a qualifying offer his way, and recoup a supplemental pick if he bolts. I'd say that's worth Broxton.

In my mind the minimum threshold for acquiring a pitcher whether they are better than Anderson. Is Cobrin better than Anderson?

Your minimum threshold is a guy that went 12-4 with a 2.74 ERA last season? Tough crowd!

I would say Corbin's upside is similar to Anderson's.

Yes, if you're serious about contending for something more than a one game playoff, Anderson has to start he season as the number three. Unless I missed something there is no guarantee Nelson comes back 100%. It's also going to be much easier to sustain an injury to one of your top pitchers if your three is Anderson.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I disagree- the goal should be to put the best 5 in the rotation. Corbin wouldn't be the splash acquisition, there will likely be another that fits that bill. But an acquisition like this to be the 3 or 4 (if/when Nelson is back and effective) that pushes out the quality of the five while giving up the sparest of spare parts is a win, IMO.

And for the record, yes, Corbin's 2017 ERA+ was better than the 2018 projections of every pitcher on the staff right now, including Anderson. No comment on the validity of predictions, but take that for what it's worth.

Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I guess I'd prefer we trade Broxton for a couple of "lottery ticket" prospects - similar to what we did with Adam Lind a couple of years ago. 1 year of Corbin just doesn't push the needle for me.

In my mind the minimum threshold for acquiring a pitcher whether they are better than Anderson. Is Cobrin better than Anderson?

That is terrible terrible logic. #5 starter can be just as important as any other player on this teams. A good/healthy starting 5 was huge for the 2011 team. Hurts if you back end guys stink it up.

Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I guess I'd prefer we trade Broxton for a couple of "lottery ticket" prospects - similar to what we did with Adam Lind a couple of years ago. 1 year of Corbin just doesn't push the needle for me.

Brewers were in a lot different place when they traded Lind for those rookie leaguers. Much more a "win now" philosophy. That said, we have no idea if Broxton for Corbin is even an option. If it were truly a case of either/or, considering where the team is at currently, I'm taking the lower upside sure thing over the potential, but very unlikely high upside

If we trade for Corbin, there is not a doubt in my mind he will take over for Garza in the department of I can't stand watching this guy pitch every five days.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewers were in a lot different place when they traded Lind for those rookie leaguers. Much more a "win now" philosophy. That said, we have no idea if Broxton for Corbin is even an option. If it were truly a case of either/or, considering where the team is at currently, I'm taking the lower upside sure thing over the potential, but very unlikely high upside

The type of return that Broxton is likely to get, I think you kinda have to assume Stearns did the best he could. If he gets 2 young 17 year olds, a solid relief arm, a 1 year expensive mid-back rotation rental like Corbin...whatever the return is I'm sure Stearns will have done fine. This isn't a Santana/phillips situation where it's fairly important that if either player moves...we get starting pitching back in return.

But - aren't we trying to get more of a TOR starter right now? Do we really want to go into this season with a rotation of Anderson, Davies, Chacin, Woodruff and Corbin? I'm sorry, but that doesn't scream playoffs to me. Unless if you plan to use Woodruff in a Santana package to TB for Archer - in which case I guess you could go Archer, Anderson, Davies, Chacin and Corbin (and then hope that Nelson comes back healthy mid-year). But, I wouldn't be happy at all if Corbin is the final missing piece to our opening day rotation.

The type of return that Broxton is likely to get, I think you kinda have to assume Stearns did the best he could. If he gets 2 young 17 year olds, a solid relief arm, a 1 year expensive mid-back rotation rental like Corbin...whatever the return is I'm sure Stearns will have done fine. This isn't a Santana/phillips situation where it's fairly important that if either player moves...we get starting pitching back in return.

I get that. It would likely be a spare part-for-spare part kind of deal. Corbin, coming off a mediocre year, and in the final year of his deal, would qualify.

Archived