Brewer Fanatic

Patrick Corbin

NOMAAM
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Corbin gets hit pretty hard by right handed batters. This trend has gotten worse as he's gotten older. To me, it really limits his upside as a starter.

Last year, 50 pitchers threw 100+ innings against right handed batters. Corbin gave up the 44th most hits of those 50 guys. In 2016, there were 51 pitchers who three 100+ innings against right handers. He was the worst in the league.

He is very hard on lefties, so he's managed to make things work - to a degree. I just look at him and see 2017 as a best case scenario for the guy unless he can teach himself a new trick. Otherwise, he's destined to be a lefty reliever - which I think he could be really good at.

I like Corbin but does he really move the needle for us, especially as a rental?

My gut says no way. This is a non-issue, is he actually better than any of our already in house options?

Not worth it.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I like Corbin but does he really move the needle for us, especially as a rental?

My gut says no way. This is a non-issue, is he actually better than any of our already in house options?

Not worth it.

Really? Corbin is a proven middle of the rotation starter in his prime who wouldn't come with a long term commitment or need a huge package to get. He'd be no worse than their #3 starter. He eats innings, struck out more than 8 guys per 9 innings playing in same division as the Dodgers and Rockies.

Who’s the best Anthony Banda comp in our system? That’s who we’d trade.

"There's more people to ignore in New York or in Boston than there are in Milwaukee, but I would still ignore them, probably."

-Zack Greinke

What would Arizona be looking for in return? If we're talking about moving a Villar or Broxton type then I'm all in. If we have to to move a legitimate pitching prospect or one of our better outfielders then I would pass.

He's got some warts but Stearns loves pitchers with good breaking balls and Corbin has a great slider.

@WiscoSportsNut

He'd be a nice respectable stop gap, who expires next year, who would get us to Nelson and hopefully Burnes. Don't care to give up much for him. Broxton and diplan wouldn't bother me a bit. If thats enough, cool. If not then keep him. We started guerra peralta garza last year. Corbin can better garzas showing. I'd expect 4.2 era comfortably. That's helpful when you look at woodruff being young and chacin being chacin.

Having solid options is clearly undervalued. People just assume suter or wilkerson can give the same but that's exactly how you end up starting guerra garza and peralta.

We can get the same production from the woodruff, gallardos of the world for a whole lot less. Again, doesn’t move the needle. It’s a no from me.

Gallardo? I have more faith in Guerra than Gallardo. Gallardo is willy peralta.

Corbin was a 4era 189 ip guy last year. The hell if we have 1 of those after anderson davies chacin woodruff. No 5.

He also had a 1.4 whip. 2016 5.15 era. Yup, would gladly take any guys on our current roster than this guy who will make 7.5mil. He’s only pitched more than 160 innings 2 out of 5 years, not like he’s a true innings eater. Not to mention letting up 24/26 home runs up the past two years, going to Miller park would more than likely make that go even higher. Just don’t understand he draw for him.

We can get the same production from the woodruff, gallardos of the world for a whole lot less. Again, doesn’t move the needle. It’s a no from me.

What has Woodruff done at the MLB level to warrant such lofty status? Oh that 5 ERA in only 40 innings and got progressively worse with each start once teams had some tape on him?

Are you talking about Gallardo's ERA of almost 6 last season, or his much lower 5.4 ERA of 2016?

I'm not all aboard the Corbin train unless its cheap but its asinine to compare these guys to him. He's a decent middle of the road rotation arm on a short contract, not one of the worst starters in baseball or a completely unproven pitcher at the MLB level.

My point in all this, is he isn’t fair and away better than these guys we already have. Woodruff could very well not be very good. But his potential paying him the league min is far better than over paying for a guy who is average at best. Agree to disagree I guess. Just not drinking the kool aid on Corbin making a positive difference on this team.

I'm not enthused about adding someone like Corbin, but I'm surprised his WAR for last year calculates to a 2.9 and his ERA+ was a 119 (basically the same as Zach Davies on both accounts):

4.03 ERA

4.08 FIP

1.42 WHIP

Seems pretty mediocre-to-bad, but I guess getting in 190 innings in the NL West at that rate is fairly productive. Still as others have said, if we're adding more pitchers that are going to knock young guys out of the 4-5 spots in the rotation, I'd rather they were at least clear upgrades to the 3 veterans who will be starting the year in the rotation.

Still as others have said, if we're adding more pitchers that are going to knock young guys out of the 4-5 spots in the rotation, I'd rather they were at least clear upgrades to the 3 veterans who will be starting the year in the rotation.

I don't mean to sound like I'm leading the Corbin bandwagon, I'm not, but his ERA+ number of 119 last year is better than the ZiPS projected ERA+ numbers of every single pitcher on our staff right now. I don't have his 2018 projection to know where that ranks, however.

There are plenty of reasons not to like him (salary, 1-year 'rental,' etc.), but he'd be a solid contributor as the 'second' pitching acquisition alongside a Santana deal or FA signing, IMO.

Archived